login

Author Topic: List of Crap #110: Top 50 Comedy Films Countdown 2: The Legend of Curly's Gold  (Read 18823 times)

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5133
  • Mr. Robot
And by the way, you know, when you're telling these little stories? Here's a good idea - have a POINT. It makes it SO much more interesting for the listener!

Trains, Planes and Automobiles

31 Points, 4 of 15 Lists, Top vote: #8 Johnny Unusual

Neal Page is a stressed out ad executive who just wants to make it home to his family in time for Thanksgiving.  On the way, he meets the well-meaning but obnoxious Del Griffith.  After a hiccup with a plane leaves everyone stranded at the airport, Del promises to help Neal get home to his family by any convience they can.  But soon their journey turns into one misadventure after another, thanks in no small part to Del's accident prone nature and careless behavior.  Still, nothing is going to stop these men from getting Neal to his family on time.

John Candy is a fantastic comedic actor and it is a shame that he's gotten so few really good roles (sad fact: later in his career, his marriage was so toxic he was taking ANY role to get out of the house, which explains some of his really bad choices).  Del Griffith might well be his best and possibly the one closest to who Candy was as a person.  The film commits a very good balancing act in making us completely understand why Neal would be so incredibly frustrated and upset with Del but also making us sympathize with him.  The two characters play off of each other perfectly.  It's also John Hughes best film and, whether by intent or not, feels like his most personal.  It also meant a lot to my Dad, whose work involved him travelling a lot, causing him some guilt at times and feeling a lot for Neal.

Notable scene

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZKtFIgmoqoI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ZKtFIgmoqoI</a>

If you liked this, check out... Midnight Run

Like many of the great road comedies, this one features two characters reluctantly stuck together for a long trip.  This time it's Robert DeNiro and Charles Grodin as a bounty hunter and a criminal accountant maing their way acros the country while being hounded by criminals and cops.  It's a pretty fun romp.

Trivia No transportation company wanted to appear inept or deficient in any way, so crews had to rent twenty miles of train track and refurbish old railroad cars, construct a set that looked like an airline terminal, design a rent-a-car company logo and uniforms, and rent two hundred fifty cars for the infamous Rent-a-Car sequence.

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 244
Oops! Typo! You accidentally listed the best comedy of all time as #43!

Anyway, thread locked.

Actually the best comedy of all time hasn't shown up yet... but yeah, your pick is #2 worthy.

I had it on my list... the opening bit with Hitler strolling down the street... just the memory of it puts me in stiches. And Benny and Lombard are comedy gold.

(BTW - I also had Safety Last, which was mentioned, but obviously didn't make it. So now I have 2 and an almost?)

Planes, Trains is pretty good. If my brother were on the forum it would have been his #1. I should have probably put it on my list in his honor, but that's one I figured the rest of you would take care of, and you did.

Online Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 562
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
I myself didn't vote for Planes, Trains and Automobiles mostly because I never saw the whole movie. I would have voted for another John Candy movie that I really liked, but for me it just couldn't crack the top 25. That movie was
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 132
  • We are the road crew!
Have not seen Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy..
Are the other 2 any good ???

Check Anchorman and Anchorman 2 out for sure! Great great comedies, some of my favs. The second one was underrated I felt, in general it's tough to make an all around accepted sequel to a comedy sensation.

Anchorman hit right after I graduated High School, and now indeed it's quotes and the Burgandy voice will be with me forever. It's in my DNA.

And love Planes Trains.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3176
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Anchorman's one of those comedies you need to see in order to know what the Internet is talking about half the time. It's a wonderfully quotable movie.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Seven o'clock. Psychos seize Santa's workshop and only Lee Majors can stop them.

Scrooged

33 Points, 2 of 15 Lists, Top vote: #4 Retro Muppet Pastor

Frank Cross is the president of the IBC television network and is getting ready his big Christmas project: a live, star-studded performance of A Christmas Carol.  To do this, he makes his employees work through the holidays.  He also gives out the same cheap towels to everyone for Christmas and fires one of his employees for disagreeing with him.  But he is soon visited by the ghost of his old mentor, who warns him he's going to be visited by three ghosts that are going to teach him a lesson, in the most painful way possible.

Putting Bill Murray in the Scrooge role is what makes this movie work.  Murray is the kind of guy who is fantastic at being a cynical misanthrope and here he is downright unpleasant.  But the fact that he is also very funny makes us able to get invested in the story and while the ending "live TV monologue" could easily fall apart, Bill Murray's effortless charisma totally sells a hoary old cliche.

Notable scene

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/mvmAa1cYZK4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/mvmAa1cYZK4</a>

If you liked this, check out... Gremlins

Thought I should have saved this for Gremlins 2, eh?  Nah.  I think it's perfectly paired here.  I almost went with Krampus, which is also pretty good.  There's a lot of great dark Christmas movies, but I wanted something that is also fun.  I think some people complained it was mean-spirited at the time, but I disagree, as it is a joyful celebration of anarchic comedy mixed with a bit of horror.  It's not "doesn't Christmas suck" as much as it is "aren't monster causing trouble delightful?"

Trivia Bill Murray and Director Richard Donner reportedly did not enjoy working together, creating a lot of tension on-set. When asked by film critic Roger Ebert if he had any disagreements with Donner, Murray replied: "Only a few. Every single minute of the day. That could have been a really, really great movie. The script was so good. There's maybe one take in the final cut movie that is mine. We made it so fast, it was like doing a movie live. He kept telling me to do things louder, louder, louder. I think he was deaf."

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2640
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
I forgot about Scrooged, probably wouldn't have made my top 25 but I should have had it on my big list.

Online Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
Sadly, I never was a fan of Scrooged. It just didn't click with me or something.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3176
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Yeah, for some reason the Christmas comedies just completely slipped my mind. Scrooged is great, though.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
Damn! We're in a tight spot!

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

34 Points, 2 of 15 Lists, Top vote: #7 Johnny Unusual

Ulysses Everett McGill, Pete Hogwallop and Delmar O'Donnell are three chain gang prisoners who escaped from the authorities, following Everett's promise of a treasure that'll make them all rich.  However, their quest leads them on strange adventures and into the lives of strange characters, including Babyfa-- sorry, George Nelson, blues man Tommy Johnson, bible salesman "Big Dan" Teague and a whole mess of others.  On their way, they see the American south and become successful musicians... without realizing it.

With it's title taken from a fictional script in the film Sullivan's Travels, the Coens make my favourite of their comedies.  The Coens often like to go to dark places in their comedies and while there are moments of that here, this one is about having fun in a landscape that's sort of a kaledoscope of early 20th century Americana, loosely based on Homer's the Odyssey.  This is actually the first Coens film I'd seen (I had heard of Fargo but had never seen it) but I immediately fell in love with their bizarre humor and turns of phrase and made me realize that in the right role, George Clooney is damned funny. Sadly, not a lot of people get the best from him comedically (not even Clooney when he directs himself), but in the right role, he's perfectly silly.

Notable scene

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/apq46lA0uSM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/apq46lA0uSM</a>

If you liked this, check out... Modern Times

Another movie about people trying to make their way during the Great Depression, Modern Times focuses not on rural America but on big city living and the frustrations of having to live in the modern age.  While O Brother is about an entire society looking backward for hope, Modern Times is about anxiety of modernization (perfectly symbolized when the Tramp goes temporarily mad in the factory).  But despite this focus it is a very hopeful film and one that says goodbye to the Tramp and gives him an ending both very familiar yet with a significant and sweet difference.

Trivia The film's soundtrack became an unlikely blockbuster, even surpassing the success of the film. By early 2001, it had sold five million copies, spawned a documentary film, three follow-up albums ("O Sister" and "O Sister 2"), two concert tours, and won Country Music Awards for Album of the Year and Single of the Year (for "Man of Constant Sorrow"). It also won five Grammys, including Album of the Year, and hit #1 on the Billboard album charts the week of March 15, 2002, 63 weeks after its release and over a year after the release of the film.

I got my copy.  It's pretty damned good.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 375
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
I love Scrooged, but I have a rule.  I watch it exactly once a year, on Christmas Eve.  I never deviate from this rule and have kept it consistent since 2007.  One year, my sister borrowed my DVD copy of it and I didn't find out until the evening of Christmas Eve.  Not wanting to deviate from tradition, I had to pay 3 bucks to rent a copy from Youtube.

I've never seen O Brother, but the rest of my family are all big fans.  The Wifi password at their house is soggybottomboys402.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Online Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
I kind of have a love/hate relationship with the movies of the Coen brothers. Some of them are absolutely great, and some of them I really don't like, and sadly... Oh brother where art thou is one of the few Coen brothers films I don't like.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2638
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty

Anyway, thread locked.

Actually the best comedy of all time hasn't shown up yet... but yeah, your pick is #2 worthy.

I had it on my list... the opening bit with Hitler strolling down the street... just the memory of it puts me in stiches. And Benny and Lombard are comedy gold.

(BTW - I also had Safety Last, which was mentioned, but obviously didn't make it. So now I have 2 and an almost?)

Planes, Trains is pretty good. If my brother were on the forum it would have been his #1. I should have probably put it on my list in his honor, but that's one I figured the rest of you would take care of, and you did.

You didn't actually have it at two though, did you? Or it would be much higher.

I had Safety Last too, so don't count it out yet.
FINE

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot

Anyway, thread locked.

You didn't actually have it at two though, did you? Or it would be much higher.

I had Safety Last too, so don't count it out yet.

Sorry, but you can.  It was just a few points shy of making the list.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 05:09:13 PM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2638
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Anchorman felt less... charming to me the last time I watched it. I still like it, but I used to love it.

Scrooged is very good - just not top 25 for me.

O Brother was on my list - a tremendous, hilarious movie, that rewards multiple watchings. One of the best movies from two of the best directors of their generation.
FINE