Author Topic: List of Crap #110: Top 50 Comedy Films Countdown 2: The Legend of Curly's Gold  (Read 25330 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3233
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Tis but a scratch.

I say that way too much, guess I should be more careful with my power tools... :D

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3989
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Thought Holy Grail was the number one for sure. Have no idea what it could be now.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 412
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
Thought Holy Grail was the number one for sure. Have no idea what it could be now.

It was close, but the #1 entry beat it out by only 4 points.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1267
  • My name is RaphaĆ«l Ambrosius Costeau
My guess would be "There's Something About Mary".

linszoid

Tis but a scratch.

I say that way too much, guess I should be more careful with my power tools... :D

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 412
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
My guess would be "There's Something About Mary".
Okay fine I'll tell you.  It was "Delta Farce".
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 308
I would have suggested another Gilliam film other than Time Bandits. Jabberwocky was made a year later and was also set in medieval England. Not only was it the same in tone ( Gilliam was one of the first directors to depict a filthy medieval period in motion pictures, which he pointed out was historical accurate, ) but also had half of the Holy Grail cast ( Michael Palin as the film's star, and Gilligan and Jones in minor roles ). For a while there it was distributed in the United States as the sequel to Holy Grail, and was even briefly released as Monty Python's Jabberwocky by Columbia Home Video before the Python's threatened legal action. Another Gilliam film of interest would be The Fisher King which is also about the quest for the Holy Grail, only this one had a resolution. You may also want to check out a six episode series called Monty Python, the six episode spin-off of Flying Circus made by the other five Pythons after Cleese decided he didn't want to do a fourth Flying Circus season. ( Monty Python is syndicated in the U.S. as the fourth season of Flying Circus. ) About a quarter of the sketches in that series came from the abandoned first draft script for Holy Grail.  The non Python film that comes the closest to being like a Python film would be Yellowbeard, followed by Eric the Viking which reused material from an unfilmed scene in the last draft Holy Grail script.

Offline Russoguru

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1199
  • Everyday ends with a tums festival!
Maybe number one is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"In all my years of conquest, violence, and slaughter, it was never personal. But I'll tell you now, what I'm about to do to your stubborn, annoying little planet... I'm going to enjoy it... very very much."
-Thanos

linszoid

Maybe number one is

My thought as well. I know it's very high on my list.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 5326
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Just finished watching The Big Lebowski with my GF who's never seen it before and she thought it was confusingly funny :D :D

Offline Russoguru

• Climbed El Capitan
I'd like to nominate
for runner up/Honorable mention.
"In all my years of conquest, violence, and slaughter, it was never personal. But I'll tell you now, what I'm about to do to your stubborn, annoying little planet... I'm going to enjoy it... very very much."
-Thanos

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 632
At the risk of incurring the wrath of the Coen-zealots  ;) Lebowski leaves me cold....

but Inherent Vice, now that's crazy, convoluted good.

Grail is great, though I never cared for the way it ended, or didn't end. But I remember my sister watching it with me when it played on PBS back in the late 70s or so. And how, during the Black Knight scene, she was laughing, near tears, but kept saying, "This is terrible, this is so wrong..." as limbs fell and blood spurted.

Offline Russoguru

• Climbed El Capitan
Grail is great, though I never cared for the way it ended, or didn't end. But I remember my sister watching it with me when it played on PBS back in the late 70s or so. And how, during the Black Knight scene, she was laughing, near tears, but kept saying, "This is terrible, this is so wrong..." as limbs fell and blood spurted.
My favorite line in the whole movie is "Then, you must cut down the mightiest tree in the forest... WITH... A HERRING!!!!"(Dramatic Sting)
-Thanos

Johnny Unusual

Well, I'll give him another twenty minutes, but that's it!
Airplane!

173 Points, 11 of 15 Lists, Top vote: #1 Cole Stratton

Ex-fighter pilot Ted Striker is having a bad day.  First, his girlfriend, a flight attendent, leaves him and doesn't want to get back together after he buys a plane ticket to be with her.  But it gets much, much worse when a bout of food poisoning strikes all of the flights pilots.  Ted is a pilot but aside from the fact that a fighter plane and a commercial liner are very different, Ted is also haunted by the war and has a drinking problem.  Can Ted help land the plane and save the life of everyone aboard?

Airplane! really revolutionized comedy.  The kinds of jokes in the film have been done before (some are as old as dirt) but what Airplane! had that other films didn't was volume, packing in so many jokes that the film rewarded viewers on rewatch.  Much in the way that when Top Gun came out, it seemed like sensory overload to the audiences, ZAZ put as much as they could in the film that initial audiences must have felt dizzied by the ride.  The one other element that makes it work is the deadpan delivery of the actors.  Similar films that would follow often had too much mugging and winking at the audience, but here, everyone was performing their parts the same as if they were in a series film.  This made the film even more ridiculous and over the top in a way that still entertains audiences today

Merry Wanna says
Silly, but still makes me laugh, and reminds me of being 11.

Notable scene

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FNkpIDBtC2c" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FNkpIDBtC2c</a>

If you liked this, check out... Wet Hot American Summer

There are a few good parody comedy movies left unmentioned.  The joyous Walk Hard, the delightful High Anxiety or the underseen Pop Star: Never Stop Never Stopping.  But I'm going with Wet Hot American Summer, a silly film that went from bomb to cult darling, which spawned a TV show, a comic book and even a pen and paper role-playing game.  And it is really great.  There's a bit more anti-comedy in this film and there are a few parts that are a bit more self-indulgent than actually funny.  But when it works, it's wonderful, particularly the brilliant "trip to town" seen.

Trivia For the argument between announcers concerning the white and red zones at the airport, the producers hired the same voice artists who had made the real-world announcements at Los Angeles International Airport. At the real airport, the white zone is for loading and unloading of passengers only, and there's no stopping in the red zone (except for transit buses). They were also married to each other in real life.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3233
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
 Fun list, and reading the title for the list it reminds me of another one I forgot to put on my big list, City Slickers.  Looking at my final list it probably wouldn't have replaced any of them, but it would have been close for the bottom ones.

My list:

1   The Blues Brothers
2   Monty Python and the Holy Grail
3   Young Frankenstein
4   Animal House
5   Airplane!
6   Blazing Saddles
7   Murder By Death
8   Ghostbusters 1984
9   Men In Black
10   The Pink Panther Strikes Again
11   Get Shorty