login

Author Topic: Region 2 to Region 1 DVD cloning.  (Read 420 times)

Offline Retro Muppet Pastor

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 114
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
Region 2 to Region 1 DVD cloning.
« on: December 25, 2017, 10:50:46 AM »
Hey gang.  I am trying to solve a riddle.

I like to collect DVDs.  I am a big fan of physical media.  Years ago, I bought Malcolm in the Middle Season 1, on DVD.  Unfortunately, that was the only season they released in North America (Region 1).  The reason I heard was that they couldn't clear the music, but I don't understand why they didn't just do music replacement.  Or why they didn't have this trouble in Europe.

They did release all 7 seasons in Europe, as Region 2 DVDs.  Of course, those DVDs will not play on an American DVD player.  I could buy a region free player, but I want to have something that will play in any North American DVD player if possible.

So I am wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to clone a DVD from Region 2 over to Region 1 or Region 0 (region free).  I would probably have to change the region of my DVD drive over to region 2 for the ripping, but would I be able to change the region code of the resulting clone image?  It does me no good if I just clone it over to another Region 2 DVD.  Also, since you can only make 5 region changes on a DVD drive, I need to be smart about this.

Any ideas?
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2248
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Region 2 to Region 1 DVD cloning.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 11:27:19 AM »
Computer drives can have their region changed 5 times, the 5th time is permanent.
You could just install a cheap second drive and only use it for region 2 discs.

There is also software out there that will play other region discs without having to change the drive setting.

As for converting, there are programs out there that will rip a region encoded disc and write a region free version, might have to spend $25 or so, don't think I've seen free ones but maybe they exist.

The problem that is harder to overcome is the video format, if the DVD is PAL you'll be able to play it on your computer but not on a DVD player in the USA.  Blu-Ray discs only have the issue of 50 or 60 Hz, but it's still a big problem.  I've got some UK Blu-Rays that I can play on my computer but not on my home theater.  I have not found a program that successfully converts a 50Hz video to a disc playable in on a player in the USA, there are always picture or sound issues.  Oddly most players and TVs that can play video files don't have a problem with MKV files that are encoded at odd frame rates, so I rip episodes to MKV and put them on portable hard drives to play them on my home theater.

• Big Montana
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 05:25:59 AM »
Marty I don't understand what you mean by the video format issues?  What do you mean?  Do you mean, that, like, the video and audio will be out of sync?  I played a PAL Rifftrax MP3 once, and I did notice that it sounded a little... sped up.  Like the voices were slightly squeakier.  Not "Alvin and the Chipmunks" squeaky, but it was still there.  But I could probably get used to it.  I think anything short of audio and video being out of sync I could deal with.

I don't think my computer has space for another DVD drive, after the current drive and the 3 hard drives.  I could possibly use my laptop for the ripping though.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 08:31:42 AM »
The issues I've had with converting 50 frames per second to 60 or 24 have been out of sync audio and stuttering audio.

I only tried a bunch of free programs, and the video editor that comes with Nero Platinum, so there might be more expensive programs that will do it, I know there are PAL to NTSC conversion services so it can be done, just a matter of how much money you are willing to spend.

• Big Montana
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 02:18:04 PM »
Sounds like it might be a better idea for me to just get a region free player.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 02:25:24 PM »
Do region free players now do PAL to NTSC conversion?  When I looked into that many years ago you had to make sure your TV could display PAL or 50Hz signals and the specs for my TV say it can't.

• Big Montana
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 10:29:11 PM »
It seems like they would be pretty useless if they didn't.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 10:52:15 PM »
Just looked up some on Amazon and yeah, they all seem to play PAL or NTSC on any TV, and they have gotten way cheaper than when I looked years ago...  I guess they are desperate to sell any DVD players these days.  ;D

Offline Piobman

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 113
    • Riff Cover Art
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 03:39:19 AM »
Region free player is the best. Converting pal to ntsc will create a slight stutter every few seconds... most noticeable when panning.

• Big Montana
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 11:02:28 AM »
Update on this.... 

My Malcolm in the Middle DVDs came a week ago.  I was able to make a clone that would work in my Region 1 player fairly easily.  I just had DVD Fab rip the files.  I didn't even have to change the region on my DVD drive.  DVD Fab just figured it out.  The resulting files would not play on my computer, and neither did the ISO I created with DVD Shrink.  After I burnt it to disc, it played fine in my DVD player.

Downside was quickly noticeable.  The original DVD ripped files were about 6.5 Gb, and a standard DVD only has 4.7 Gb of space.  DVD Shrink was able to compress this onto an American DVD, but at the obvious cost.  The audio was okay, and it was in sync with the video.... but the video was quite grainy.  I'm not a snob for picture quality.  I never bothered to get a BluRay player, or an expensive TV, and I don't make a habit of paying extra for HD Rifftrax.  But that grainyness was too much.

So I did find a region free player.  Panasonic DVD-S700.  Bought it for $68.50.  Playing the Malcolm DVDs right now.  Looks great.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 11:05:08 AM »
Why not just buy some dual layer DVD-Rs?  Then you get 8.5GB.  Unless your DVD burner is 10+ years old it should be able to burn dual layer disks.

• Big Montana
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 05:06:56 AM »
Why not just buy some dual layer DVD-Rs?  Then you get 8.5GB.  Unless your DVD burner is 10+ years old it should be able to burn dual layer disks.

Oh phooey.  I wish I'd thought of that before I bought the region free player.  Too late now.

The player is weirdly buggy.  Sometimes I'll select an episode and the player just stops.  I have to open and close it to rectify the situation.  I hope this doesn't portend worse problems down the road.