Author Topic: If I upgraded to a Ryzen 7 1700 from FX-8350...  (Read 74 times)

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 333
If I upgraded to a Ryzen 7 1700 from FX-8350...
« on: December 05, 2017, 02:04:41 PM »
Here's the deal. I currently have an FX-8350 CPU and a 970A-G43 Mother board

I want to upgrade to a Ryzen 7 1700 (unless you have any better suggestions). I understand this means buying a new motherboard as well. Motherboard suggestions would be welcome as well.

The guy at the computer place claims I would have to buy a new copy of Windows 10, which is what I'm using now, and completely reinstall it. Can someone tell me if there is any truth to this. Why can't I just continue to use my old hard drive, Win 10 and all?

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2148
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: If I upgraded to a Ryzen 7 1700 from FX-8350...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 02:58:39 PM »

I want to upgrade to a Ryzen 7 1700 (unless you have any better suggestions). I understand this means buying a new motherboard as well. Motherboard suggestions would be welcome as well.

The guy at the computer place claims I would have to buy a new copy of Windows 10, which is what I'm using now, and completely reinstall it. Can someone tell me if there is any truth to this. Why can't I just continue to use my old hard drive, Win 10 and all?

If you change both the motherboard and the graphics card windows will see that as too many changes and flag your system as a new computer and require a new activation.  They assume you cloned your hard drive and are trying to run a second computer with one license.  So you shouldn't have to reinstall, just buy a new license.  Windows should bring up some kind of dialog box giving you options to (re)activate when you boot it up with the new hardware. 

If it's windows 10 pro it might not complain if this is your first big change, lesser versions it certainly will.

You might be able to call Microsoft when the dialog pops up and tell them your old motherboard and graphics card died and were replaced, and they might waive the cost and give you a new key code.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 333
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 12:08:51 PM »

If you change both the motherboard and the graphics card windows will see that as too many changes and flag your system as a new computer and require a new activation.  They assume you cloned your hard drive and are trying to run a second computer with one license.  So you shouldn't have to reinstall, just buy a new license.  Windows should bring up some kind of dialog box giving you options to (re)activate when you boot it up with the new hardware. 

If it's windows 10 pro it might not complain if this is your first big change, lesser versions it certainly will.

You might be able to call Microsoft when the dialog pops up and tell them your old motherboard and graphics card died and were replaced, and they might waive the cost and give you a new key code.

Thanks for the advice. It's my CPU that I want to change, not the GPU, but I get what you're saying.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2148
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 12:48:04 PM »
Ah, I don't keep up with the AMD chip names.

New MB with a new chip-set and new CPU will probably trigger the same reaction from Windows.