Author Topic: List of Crap #107: Countdown to the Top 50ish Console Games of the 16-Bit Era!  (Read 14435 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3071
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
This list has inspired me to dig out my "Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics" collection on Steam and play some Shining Force. I haven't played it in years and I'm shocked at how well it holds up. It had some darn good writing for the 16-bit era. The game feels kind of easy after spending the last few years with Fire Emblem, but it's still a lot of fun.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4964
  • Mr. Robot
BTW, if you haven't been following @SegaCDgames on twitter, you are missing out.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 477
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
Well what can I say to that except... WHAT THE HELL?!  :o

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 60
Wait a second. Since I was the only person not to have Super Mario World on my list, and my list was all SNES games, that means that every list submitted had SNES games on it? Wasn't the reason this LoC was changed to all 16 bit games because some members here didn't have the Super Nintendo and wanted to participate?

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2596
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Wait a second. Since I was the only person not to have Super Mario World on my list, and my list was all SNES games, that means that every list submitted had SNES games on it? Wasn't the reason this LoC was changed to all 16 bit games because some members here didn't have the Super Nintendo and wanted to participate?

SMW has been rereleased how many times on how many consoles? You can easily have played SMW without ever touching a SNES.
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
Anyway, the correct answers:

1   Fantastic Dizzy
2   Super Mario World
3   Super Mario Kart
4   Donkey Kong Country
5   ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
6   James Pond II: Codename: RoboCod

7   Cool Spot
8   Quackshot starring Donald Duck
9   Sonic the Hedgehog

10   Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure
11   Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
12   Super Mario All-Stars
13   Decap Attack
14   Zool: Ninja of the Nth Dimension
15   Super Bomberman
16   Krusty's Super Fun House
17   Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
18   Sonic & Knuckles
19   Mega Lo Mania
20   EarthBound
21   Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball
22   Puggsy
23   Disney's Aladdin
24   Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
25   Mortal Kombat II
FINE

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 60

SMW has been rereleased how many times on how many consoles? You can easily have played SMW without ever touching a SNES.

But you can say that about a lot of the SNES games. Which means that anyone could have participated in a SNES only list. The argument for expanding the LoC to all 16 bit games was there were members here that could not participate in a SNES only list. So either that was not true and everyone has played SNES games, or those Sega and/or Turbo owners who never played a SNES game didn't participate after the LoC was expanded for them.

The SNES had so many awesome games that it was unfair to think some didn't make the LoC to give games from other systems slots. I would even go as far as saying limiting the LoC to just 50 SNES games was unfair, and it deserved a 100 list. And I am sure Genesis owners would say the same about that system. Turbo GrafX? I am sure it must have had great games beyond that caveman game.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
Go through the list every one have posted and omit the non-SNES games and compile your LOC #107b.
FINE

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 361
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.

The first draft of my own list, which was just SNES games, was difficult to stretch out to 25 titles. While I had SNES, Genesis, and Turbo Grafx, I didn't go particularly deep on any one system.  In that original draft, I added in games I had known of but never actually played, just to pad out the list.  I had also included games I played once or twice.  This could have been the case with some of the people who put SMW on their list without having owned a Super Nintendo back then.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 693
  • 5000 deaths and counting

The first draft of my own list, which was just SNES games, was difficult to stretch out to 25 titles. While I had SNES, Genesis, and Turbo Grafx, I didn't go particularly deep on any one system.  In that original draft, I added in games I had known of but never actually played, just to pad out the list.  I had also included games I played once or twice.  This could have been the case with some of the people who put SMW on their list without having owned a Super Nintendo back then.

I never owned a Genesis or TG16, and I was perfectly to have them included. I even had several on my list. Emulation really blurs the lines between systems. And including all 16-but systems meant I didn't have to pack the last 5-10 with filler like I usually do

But you can say that about a lot of the SNES games. Which means that anyone could have participated in a SNES only list. The argument for expanding the LoC to all 16 bit games was there were members here that could not participate in a SNES only list. So either that was not true and everyone has played SNES games, or those Sega and/or Turbo owners who never played a SNES game didn't participate after the LoC was expanded for them.

The SNES had so many awesome games that it was unfair to think some didn't make the LoC to give games from other systems slots. I would even go as far as saying limiting the LoC to just 50 SNES games was unfair, and it deserved a 100 list. And I am sure Genesis owners would say the same about that system. Turbo GrafX? I am sure it must have had great games beyond that caveman game.

There's no way in hell I'm making a List of 50 anythings  :o I usually have trouble coming up with 25, even when it's something I know well (ie video games). And God help you if you really want to run a Top 100 List. Then again, you are very loquacious. If anyone could pull off a Top 100 of something, it would be you  ;D

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 693
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Retro Muppet Paster, I'm tempted to do a super cut of all the times you said you've never heard of a game  ;D

For the record, I've heard of all of them (doesn't mean I played them all). Sometimes I wish I could expunge some of my video game knowledge to make room for stuff that's actually useful.... Eh, not really.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
Fantastic Dizzy?! Was that an Australian only release Edward?

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3071
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!

They made it to the states, but Codemasters never got the official Nintendo Seal of Quality, so a lot of retailers didn't carry them.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
They made it to the states, but Codemasters never got the official Nintendo Seal of Quality, so a lot of retailers didn't carry them.
Huh, didn't know that. I just came to that conclusion because considering it was Edward's number one I was thinking there was no way I would have missed it unless it was an overseas only release. I went through some lists of SNES games when I was doing research for my list and I don't think I ever came across it. 

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
If you enjoy retro gaming, look into it. It’s sort of like a point and click adventure game, but it’s a platformer. I still love it.
FINE