Author Topic: List of Crap #107: Countdown to the Top 50ish Console Games of the 16-Bit Era!  (Read 17297 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2649
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
The Dizzy games always seemed sketchy to me, because Codemasters never got the Nintendo Seal of Quality. In the naiveté of youth, I thought that meant they were illegal. I tried them out way later and they're actually impressive little games. And now that I'm thinking about that, there's another Codemasters game I wish I'd remembered.

Is it Cosmic Spacehead? Because your comment just reminded me of it, and I wish I had included it.

Fantastic Dizzy is one of my all time favourite gaming experiences, and it's still a great game to play.

They actually released a new game in the series this year: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-07-the-oliver-twins-release-new-old-dizzy-game-to-celebrate-his-30th-birthday

But I haven't played it.
FINE

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 580
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
Super Ghouls and Ghosts was a bloody nightmare... still trying to get past that level where you have to jump around on a raft. It's a HUGE pita. But... still good enough to land a spot on my list. Actually, checking again, it did NOT make my list.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 744
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Among the three GnG games, I feel like Super Ghouls n Ghosts was the easiest, mainly due to the double jump. The original Ghosts n Goblins was the hardest, and Ghouls n Ghosts in between. In the two Ghouls n Ghosts games you can either fire vertically, or double jump. In the original game you could do neither.

By the time SGnG came out, I had already played and beaten stuff like Battletoads. Now that game is as nightmare. Whoever thought up that snake level should be punched in the face.

Incidentally, anyone who liked the GnG games should try Maldita Castilla. It's very similar, but less brutal. And it's free.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 140
  • We are the road crew!
Demon's Crest, one of the GnG spin-offs, is cool too. Have not beaten any of the games in that series, fun stuff though, classic.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5183
  • Mr. Robot
I've heard Demon's Crest is an often unnoticed classic but I haven't had the pleasure.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 744
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Demon's Crest, one of the GnG spin-offs, is cool too. Have not beaten any of the games in that series, fun stuff though, classic.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Never played it though. Those Devil Gargoyle guys were like 50% of what made those GnG games hard. They were the only things smart enough to actually dodge your shots. Ironic to play as one of them.

On an unrelated note, I just realized I should have put Devil's Crush on my list.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
I've heard Demon's Crest is an often unnoticed classic but I haven't had the pleasure.
I've got it on my 2DS XL and... it's HARD. Maybe not as hard as Super Ghouls and Ghosts, but most of the time it felt that way to me. Not only that, it's one of those games where you have to decide where to go next and without consulting a strategy guide, no one's exactly gonna tell you where to go next.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 95
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Never played it though. Those Devil Gargoyle guys were like 50% of what made those GnG games hard. They were the only things smart enough to actually dodge your shots. Ironic to play as one of them.
I've got it on my 2DS XL and... it's HARD. Maybe not as hard as Super Ghouls and Ghosts, but most of the time it felt that way to me. Not only that, it's one of those games where you have to decide where to go next and without consulting a strategy guide, no one's exactly gonna tell you where to go next.

I never realized Demon's Crest was a spin-off of Ghouls 'n Ghosts. I always thought it was a direct sequel to Gargoyles Quest for the Gameboy.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
I never realized Demon's Crest was a spin-off of Ghouls 'n Ghosts. I always thought it was a direct sequel to Gargoyles Quest for the Gameboy.
I think Gargoyle's quest was a spin-off of Ghouls and Ghosts.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 376
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
Super Bomberman
System: Super Nintendo

26 Points
2 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #11 Retro Muppet Pastor

Year of Release:1993

Details

Super Bomberman is the first game in the Bomberman series released on the Super Nintendo.  The gameplay is fairly simple.  You control Bomberman, a guy who drops bombs.  The bombs can kill monsters and destroy walls.  The goal is pretty simple.  You kill all the monsters, then find the exit, which is hidden in a wall.  Hidden in the walls are various power ups.  It's a pretty easy game.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/uxhzsTI_LwI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/uxhzsTI_LwI</a>

Personal Thoughts

Bought this in 1993 with some $100 my mother gave me for some reason.  Something to do with her credit union.  I think it cost $70, and it came with an multitap adapter so you could play with up to 4 players.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

• Not Hurt By Pain
Zombies Ate My Neighbors!
System: Super Nintendo, Genesis

26 Points
2 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #9 CJones

Year of Release:1993

Details

Zombies Ate My Neighbors is a run and gun video game developed by LucasArts and originally published by Konami for the Super NES and Sega Mega Drive/Genesis consoles in 1993.
One or two players take control of protagonists Zeke and Julie in order to rescue the titular neighbors from monsters often seen in horror movies. Aiding them in this task are a variety of weapons and power-ups that can be used to battle the numerous enemies in each level. Various elements and aspects of horror movies are referenced in the game with some of its more violent content being censored in various territories such as Europe and Australia, where it is known only as Zombies.
While not a great commercial success, the game was well received for its graphical style, humor and deep gameplay. It spawned a sequel, Ghoul Patrol, released in 1994. In 2009, the Super NES version of Zombies Ate My Neighbors was re-released for the Wii Virtual Console to positive reviews.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/591gvimsvus" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/591gvimsvus</a>

Personal Thoughts

I saw ads and a lot of mention of this in Gamepro, and saw it at Blockbuster, but never got around to playing it. It reminds me of a simpler time, when zombies weren't a cliché.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

• Not Hurt By Pain
I'm not doing these too fast, am I?  I don't want to rocket through the countdown, or draw it out too long.  I can't remember the usual pace.

3 more this evening.

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 407
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
I'm not doing these too fast, am I?  I don't want to rocket through the countdown, or draw it out too long.  I can't remember the usual pace.

3 more this evening.

Five a day seems like a good pace to me.
QuipTracks VS Alone in the Dark is NOW AVAILABLE!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3211
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Yeah. 5 a day is my rhythm of choice when I run them.

So yes! Ghosts and Goblins begat Gargoyle's Quest for the Gameboy, which begat Demon's Crest, which absolutely does rock if you know what you're doing. It's kind of half-RPG. so it's a matter of making your Gargoyle strong enough to handle the challenges. Reminds me of Castlevania 2 in a good way.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5183
  • Mr. Robot
I love Bomberman but I don't know if I've played that version of it.