Author Topic: List of Crap #107: Countdown to the Top 50ish Console Games of the 16-Bit Era!  (Read 5584 times)

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 49
  • We are the road crew!
Looks cool!

Online CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 389
I was a big fan of Gauntlet, so I probably would have been a fan of that, if I'd ever heard of it.

In love how the Princess just says "I'm fine BTW. Call me at <whatever>".

Offline Retro Muppet Pastor

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 96
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
#43B
Streets of Rage 2
System: Genesis

22 Points
1 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #4 Psycho Goatee

Year of Release:1992

Details

Streets of Rage 2 is a side-scrolling beat 'em up video game published by Sega in 1992 for the Mega Drive/Genesis and developed by an ad hoc team of several companies: Sega, Ancient, Shout! Designworks, MNM Software and H.I.C. It is the second game in the Streets of Rage series, a sequel to Streets of Rage and followed by Streets of Rage 3.
The game introduced two new characters: Max Thunder and Eddie "Skate" Hunter, the younger brother of Adam Hunter from the original game. A commercial and critical success, it is commonly regarded as the best entry in the series and has been considered by some as one of the best games of all time.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/UPcwha5fJz0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/UPcwha5fJz0</a>

Personal Thoughts

I don't think I ever played this.  I like Beat 'em Up style games okay, but didn't play them often or very thorougly.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline stethacantus

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 24

#43A

Dungeon Explorer

System:Turbo Grafx 16

I am glad to see a Turbo GrafX game beat the odds and make the LoC, and I am sure it is an amazingly fun game......

But that box illustration makes the game look like shit. No wonder the system didn't sell if their games were this poorly illustrated. And who's idea was to illustrate​ a game about exploring dungeons by showing people way up on a cliff, high above the castle
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 08:32:43 PM by stethacantus »

Offline Russoguru

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 110
  • "They belong here more than we"
Bah! I'm inclined to say to hell with you Streets of Rage because Final Fight was the bomb.  ;D

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 3930
  • Now you're playing with power!
The Streets of Rage series are pretty solid.  Me and a friend played it a couple years ago and they have some cool game play.  They also get increasingly ridiculous.  I think in #3 you can choose an old man with robot arms. I will say that amongst gaming fans, Streets of Rage 2 stands among the best gaming soundtracks.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ogHpm0BwCPU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ogHpm0BwCPU</a>

I find it quite good, but I'm not sure what about it makes it particularly acclaimed.

Streets of Rage 3's soundtrack?  Well, it is interesting... and wildly experimental.  Check out what Wikipedia says.

The game's soundtrack was composed by Yuzo Koshiro and Motohiro Kawashima, who had both worked on Streets of Rage 2, and features influences from Detroit's hard techno scene which was popular in Tokyo nightclubs at the time of the game's development.[2] For the soundtrack, Koshiro created a new composition method called the "Automated Composing System" to produce "fast-beat techno like jungle."[3] It was among the most advanced electronic music creation technique at the time, incorporating heavily randomized sequences.[4] This resulted in innovative and experimental sounds generated automatically that, according to Koshiro, "you ordinarily never could imagine on your own." This method was very rare at the time, but has since become popular among techno and trance music producers to get "unexpected and odd sounds."[5] The soundtrack also had elements of abstract, experimental, gabber,[2] and trance music.[6]

The game's soundtrack received a mixed reception upon release, but has since been considered to be ahead of its time. According to Mean Machines, the "music takes some getting used to – ironically it pre-dated the 'trance' era that came a short while after release."[5][6]

Have a taste...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JMgjrJga7FI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JMgjrJga7FI</a>

I also can't think of Streets of Rage without thinking of Teens of Rage from Steven Universe (45 seconds in)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ymaYK8t-h5w" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ymaYK8t-h5w</a>

Offline Russoguru

• Not Hurt By Pain
Meh, you can say what you want about Streets of Rage, but unless a crossover is in the works, it will never have something Final Fight does....Mike...Haggar. When was the last time you saw a Streets of Rage fighter in a Marvel Vs Capcom game?

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2331
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
That's MAYOR Mike Haggar.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
Meh, you can say what you want about Streets of Rage, but unless a crossover is in the works, it will never have something Final Fight does....Mike...Haggar. When was the last time you saw a Streets of Rage fighter in a Marvel Vs Capcom game?

Well, Streets of Rage ain't a Capcom game.  That said, Yes, Mayor Mike Haggar is the best.  They really need to make more Final Fight games.  Or maybe just a game where we get to learn about Haggar's policy's and his re-election campaign.  Mostly they are about smashing empty oil drums with his fist and eating the delicious roast chickens inside.

• Big Montana
#43C
Final Fantasy 5
System: Super Famicom

22 Points
1 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #4 CJones

Year of Release:1992

Details

Final Fantasy V is a medieval-fantasy role-playing video game developed and published by Square (now Square Enix) in 1992 as a part of the Final Fantasy series. The game first appeared only in Japan on Nintendo's Super Famicom (known internationally as the Super Nintendo Entertainment System). It has been ported with minor differences to Sony's PlayStation and Nintendo's Game Boy Advance. An original video animation produced in 1994 called Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals serves as a sequel to the events depicted in the game. It was released for the PlayStation Network on April 6, 2011 in Japan. An enhanced port of the game, with new high resolution graphics and a touch-based interface, was released for iPhone and iPad on March 28, 2013, and for Android on September 25, 2013.
The game begins as a wanderer named Bartz investigates a fallen meteor. There, he encounters several characters, one of whom reveals the danger facing the four Crystals that control the world's elements. These Crystals act as a seal on Exdeath, an evil sorcerer. Bartz and his party must keep the Crystals from being exploited by Exdeath's influence and prevent his resurgence.
Final Fantasy V has been praised for the freedom of customization that the player has over the characters, achieved through the greatly expanded Job System. Despite being released only in Japan, the Super Famicom version sold more than two million copies. The PlayStation version has earned "Greatest Hits" status, selling more than 350,000 copies.

Can't really find a good video that isn't a crazy long gameplay video.

Personal Thoughts

I never got into Final Fantasy until 1998 with Final Fantasy 7.  Later I played Final Fantasy 9.  I was deeply into the online Final Fantasy 11 for many years.  Tried Final Fantasy 8, 10, and 14.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

• Big Montana
Come to think of it, I don't know why I found a Super Nintendo box for Final Fantasy 5 when the game only came out for Super Famicom, then later Playstation and later still the Game Boy Advance.

Anyway, that's all for tonight.  Talk among yourselves.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
I'm assuming that's fan made.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2157
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
It looked like a generic platformer, and those are a dime a dozen.  The story is a fun concept though.  Earthlings invade another planet.

It is far from generic. It has a great style and holds up. It's the only one from the series I think is worthwhile though.
FINE

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 49
  • We are the road crew!
Hell yeah Streets of Rage 2! As for it vs Final Fight, well, Final Fight is on my list too, and even more! I don't have to pick one, I got to pick 25! :D

Offline Russoguru

• Not Hurt By Pain
That's MAYOR Mike Haggar.
Appy-polly-logies.  ;)