Author Topic: List of Crap #107: Countdown to the Top 50ish Console Games of the 16-Bit Era!  (Read 17269 times)

Online CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 744
  • 5000 deaths and counting
#43C
Final Fantasy 5
System: Super Famicom
22 Points
1 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #4 CJones

Year of Release:1992

I should explain myself. I took Japanese in college, and the Japanese used in this game is very simple (or at least simple to look up). So I bought the Super Famicon version from an importer when it was apparent the game wasn't going to be released in the west. Played it, beat it, loved it. There were two plastic tabs in the SNES that prevented SFC cartridges from fitting. Once you remove those, you can play any SFC game on an SNES.

I had a couple other Japanese only games on my list, but I doubt they'll make it.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 580
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
meh.... I never liked 5 that much. I'll take 4 over it any day. If you must know, 6 will always have a place in my heart, but 4 is truly special to me.

Online CJones

I hated Final Fantasy 4. But I only ever played the dumbed down version that was released in the US. 5 and 6 though are among my favorite games.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
I hated Final Fantasy 4.
Bu-bu-but why? The leading characters were excellent, there was some great drama, great conflict, tons of great music, lots of cool twists... Final Fantasy 4 had a lot to offer.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3206
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
I don't like the story as much in FFV, but that job system is pure addiction for me.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
I don't like the story as much in FFV, but that job system is pure addiction for me.
See I thought the Job system was executed much better in Final Fantasy Tactics.

Online CJones

See I thought the Job system was executed much better in Final Fantasy Tactics.

FIRE BRACELET!

Yeah, it was. If we were doing Playstation era games, FFT would be #1, no contest. I loved that game, even with its totally screwed up translation.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 140
  • We are the road crew!
FF7 for me. I do dig Tactics a bit and games of that ilk like Vandal Hearts.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 376
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
42A
Shining Force 2
System: Genesis

23 Points
1 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #3 Retro Muppet Pastor

Year of Release:1994

Details

Shining Force 2 is a turn based tactical role playing game for the Sega Genesis.  Slade, a humanoid rat and thief, steals a pair of gems from a cave in the kingdom of Granseal, unwittingly releasing the demonic Zeon.  The hero, BOWIE (although you can change his name) teams up with his schoolmates SARAH, CHESTER, and JAHA, to investigate.  Along the way, they meet an increasing number of allies.  A total of 30 are available, but the player can only have a maximum of 12 on his fighting team at a time.  Upon reaching level 20, characters can be promoted to a more advanced class.

The battle system takes place on tactical battlefields.  There is a finite number of enemies.  Characters from both sides can move a limited distance and must get in range to attack.  Defeating an enemy will give you from 1 to 49 experience points, and you increase in level at ever 100 points.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/F9ehH_e4m1E" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/F9ehH_e4m1E</a>

Personal Thoughts

Great game.  Only game in the Shining Force series I ever played through.  The variation of the team makeup gives it a lot of replay ability.  You can basically play a different game every time.  Only BOWIE is required.  You can even take individual characters on different training paths.  KAZIN starts as a Mage, but can be promoted to either Wizard or Sorcerer.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

• Not Hurt By Pain
42B
Earthworm Jim 2
System: Super Nintendo, Genesis

23 Points
1 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #3 Stethcantus

Year of Release:1995/1996

Details

Earthworm Jim 2 is a run and gun platform video game starring an earthworm named Jim in a robotic suit who battles evil. It is a sequel to the original Earthworm Jim, and the second and final game in the Earthworm Jim series developed by original creators Doug TenNapel, David Perry, and Shiny Entertainment. It was released in late 1995 and early 1996 depending on region and video game console, initially being released for the Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo, before being ported to other consoles.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/_2INsPxa6tU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/_2INsPxa6tU</a>

Personal Thoughts

I never played Earthworm Jim 2.  I did rent Earthworm Jim once from Blockbuster, but I don't think I ever beat it.  I vaguely remember he would shout “23 Skidoo!” at the end of every level.  It was a decently fun video game.

I did watch the Earthworm Jim Saturday morning cartoon though.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
FF7 for me. I do dig Tactics a bit and games of that ilk like Vandal Hearts.
Final Fantasy Tactics was the last game where I actually cared about Final Fantasy. After that... for me it was ALL downhill from there. These days I relive all the games not so much by playing them but just by listening to the music from albums like Advent Children, Distant worlds and so forth.

• Not Hurt By Pain
41A
The Simpsons: Bart's Nightmare
System:Super Nintendo, Genesis

24 Points
1 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #2 Retro Muppet Pastor

Year of Release:1992/1993

Details

Bart's Nightmare is a game of various genres, mainly platformer.  In the game, Bart falls asleep while working on his homework.  The games starts off in “Windy World” an area where Bart walks lef and right, dodging various obstacles, until he finds a piece of paper blowing around.  When Bart jumps on this piece of paper, he is transported to one of 5 different game worlds:

• Bartzilla
  • Indiana Bart and the Temple of Maggie
  • Itchy and Scratchy
  • Bartman
  • Bart's Bloodstream

Each time the paper is found, the player can choose between 2 randomly selected unfinished worlds.  If you fail in the game world, you are sent back to Windy World and take damage.  If you succeed, you are sent back without taking damage and given a page of homework.  Collect all 8 and you win the game.  Take too much damage in Windy World, and it's game over.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/kS4ggE0LBNM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/kS4ggE0LBNM</a>

Personal Thoughts

Great game.  Played it multiple times over the year.  I've won it a few times, although recently I've lost my edge and haven't done so well.

• Not Hurt By Pain
#41B
E.V.O: The Search for Eden
System: Super Nintendo

24 Points
1 of 11 Lists.  Highest Rank: #2 Pak-Man

Year of Release:1993

Details

E.V.O.: Search for Eden, is a side-scrolling action video game developed by Almanic Corporation and published by Enix for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. Released in 1992 for Japanese audiences, the game was later translated and released in North America in 1993. Combining traditional platforming mechanics with experience and leveling mechanics originating from role playing games, E.V.O.: Search for Eden involves the player navigating a creature through a number of side-scrolling levels while undergoing bodily evolution to cope with ever-changing environments. The game is heavily based on Almanic's original title, 46 Okunen Monogatari ~The Shinka Ron~, released exclusively in Japan for the PC-9801 home computer in 1990.
Spanning a period of over a billion years, the game's story involves Gaia, daughter of the sun and mystical embodiment of the Earth, guiding the player through five distinct geological periods of the planet's history. Beginning the game as a fish, the player must travel across the planet defeating enemies and gaining the strength to evolve into more powerful and complex organisms before eventually earning a chance to enter the paradise realm of Eden, becoming Gaia's immortal partner. Crystals with the ability to influence evolution are laden throughout the player's quest, with the mystery of their origin becoming a secondary factor to the main story.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/nk_LTAbcvgc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtube.com/v/nk_LTAbcvgc</a>

Personal Thoughts

Never played it or heard of it until this list.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 140
  • We are the road crew!
Cool looking games! I've played some Bart games, I think NES ones, have played some of the first Shining Force and of course the first Earthworm Jim. Agreed that cartoon was fun!

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2648
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Bart's Nightmare was on my list, but got cut. Earthworm Jim is tainted for me, but I think I remember liking the first one more than the second.
FINE