login

Author Topic: Season 12  (Read 10460 times)

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 292
Re: Season 12
« Reply #165 on: November 19, 2018, 06:33:10 PM »
Believe me, I will do more than give it a chance! I am hoping to absolutely love the new season, But I just wish we'd go a little further back with the movies than 1979!  Half the fun of some of these movies was seeing what they thought space travel would be like prior to 1969's moon landing

Ooooh, like First Spaceship On Venus, right?

:D :D

Those are some of my favorite episodes. The ones like FSoV, Rocketship XM, 12 to the Moon etc...

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #166 on: November 20, 2018, 07:56:04 AM »
My favorite riffing subjects are giant monster movies, misguided kid's movies, and campy Star Wars wannabes, which Season 11 gave me in spades and it doesn't look like we're letting up any time soon.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 262
« Reply #167 on: November 20, 2018, 08:19:06 AM »
I like variety and thought they over did it with big monster movies in Season 11. Don't think we'll ever get one by the new MST3K, but I'd love an old black and white flick with teenager characters acted by 40 year olds.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 292
« Reply #168 on: November 22, 2018, 07:39:46 AM »
I officially signed up for Netflix free trial. Now I have to decide if I want to try saving a day to binge watch the new episodes or just watch them piece-meal.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #169 on: November 22, 2018, 01:59:28 PM »
I might watch one tonight, then the rest tomorrow.

Offline dbsommer

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 65
« Reply #170 on: November 23, 2018, 12:12:07 AM »
So, Atlantic Rim. Just, wow.  So, kind of like when you  hire one actual actor, the chick you are sleeping with, and some people off the street. That was what it was like.

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4514

Offline Anarchemist

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #172 on: December 04, 2018, 09:04:03 PM »
I was far more disappointed with that entire season than I expected. Mac & Me was no Pod People, but it was ok. Actually all of them were ok. If they'd been mixed in with 6 or 7 movies from the 40's-60's I probably wouldn't even notice them. But since it's just 6 movies from 1979-today, they feel less varied than a "real" season of mst, to me.
I guess I am blaming Netflix for the lack of older (much funnier) movies.
Here's what I believe: The 1960s were turbulent. Assassinations, war, protests, up thru watergate and Nixon in the early 70s. Films in the 70s start to get uglier, less naive, gorier. I think you can start to see it creeping into Manos from 1968, but of course Manos is still batshit crazy funny. But not as funny to me as Red Zone Cuba or Bride of the Monster (I would say movies like The Room and Birdemic both seem like coulda-been-Ed-Wood type movies that really harken back to that time of naivete. But those seem really rare).
 I like a movie where NASA is still family-owned and operated. Spaceships were spacious and despite being made mostly of plywood, you could still smoke in 'em. I like a movie where a guy could ride the rails and meet a swell mentor like Big Stupid, a movie where a guy could sing whenever he sings whenever he sings and really put his leg up; a movie where you can use your sampo to create an interocitor and then just climb rocks for 20 minutes looking for sodium.

Anyway, I didn't mind these 6 movies; but they were pretty much all my least favorites in the history of the show. If the mythical next season we won't have to wait too long for rectifies this by including movies similar to Yongary, Beast of Hollow Mountain, I Accuse My Parents, The Amazing Colossal Man (or Beast) or a Rocky Jones space adventure or 2, I'll be thrilled.
Maybe Joel should check with Amazon Prime, Hulu, Comedy Central(?), etc about these stupid restrictions Netflix seems to be requiring. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 09:32:47 PM by Anarchemist »
Earlier today I severed my own head and attached it to the bell of this baritone saxophone.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #173 on: May 23, 2019, 11:24:18 AM »
My Blu-ray set just shipped and should be arriving next Wednesday!