Author Topic: What did we learn?  (Read 440 times)

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 443
What did we learn?
« on: November 19, 2017, 03:04:45 AM »
I learned that the CIA has very low standards for their operatives.

I learned that one can just accept a hero in a movie as a bad-ass spy without it being established or really shown. 

I learned that broad assassination attempts on targeted world leaders in rooms fulled of innocent civilians, and children, are the MO's of the CIA rather than more covert operations like snipers, or poisoned darts in the tip of projectile umbrellas and the like.  Nope, bombs in cakes in the middle of crowded dining rooms.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 333
Re: What did we learn?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 11:52:55 AM »
I learned you can get a super hot wife even if you look like an uglier version of Bill Murray.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 01:43:56 PM »
LOL. Yeah, I thought he looked a lot like Bill Murray too and I was like, "Really? He landed this chick as his wife?!"

I learned that Super-Max prison uniforms aren't made to fit, I further learned it's pretty darn easy to break out of prison and there's not many guards and apparently only one phone and no wireless communication devices.

Offline PontifexPrimus

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 02:12:28 AM »
I'll be completely honest: I watched the first minutes of the movie thinking "Okay, we're establishing the character of the random assassin henchman that is going to get killed in his murder attempt by the real hero of the movie.".
Imagine my surprise when that guy actually turned out to be the... well... "hero"!

I learned that some bombs go off a minute after their fuses are blown out.
I learned that some other bombs display "<<<<BOOM>>>>" when they are supposed to go off.
I learned that being an elite assassin spy does not mean knowing any martial arts, how to handle weapons properly, or possessing charm or charisma or any other qualities commonly associated with movie spies. Or movie actors.

Offline paulufo

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 02:20:56 AM »
A 6 pack of diet coke is a good weapon of choice in a 3 on 1 fight.

I now always check for truck dogs before I enter a truck.

Offline Retro Muppet Pastor

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 93
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 09:14:13 AM »
I learned that it is hard to sympathize with a fugitive when that fugitive was rightfully accused of his crime.

I learned that you can blow up the Capitol Building, or Congressional Office Building, or whatever it was, with a single truck parked 20 feet from the entrance.

I learned that there is apparently a difference between "getting revenge" and "getting retribution".

I learned that it's fun when a movie is set in a location you recognize.  I loved that he lived in Wilmington, and I loved recognizing the locations in the establishing shots.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline ManUnderMask

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 138
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 07:09:29 PM »
I learned that radio ahead wasn't a thing until much later.
I survived the San Diego Comic Con 2010 Hall H stabbing.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 10:01:27 AM »
I learned that it's fun when a movie is set in a location you recognize.  I loved that he lived in Wilmington, and I loved recognizing the locations in the establishing shots.

I'm sure Wilmington is a perfectly nice place. But never ever EVER accept a credit card issued from there, which most of them are. Their laws regarding interest rates are extremely lax.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 10:07:01 AM »
Super max prisons only employ about 3 guards.

I loved how the trash truck driver just lets him get out, instead of, y'know, calling the police.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 04:58:35 PM »
Little known fact: Teddy bears are immune to explosions. Seriously, he left it on the counter when his house blew up, but later he has it again, undamaged.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 03:33:06 PM »
A 6 pack of diet coke is a good weapon of choice in a 3 on 1 fight.

Or that it's a weapon at all.

I learned that being an elite assassin spy does not mean knowing any martial arts, how to handle weapons properly, or possessing charm or charisma or any other qualities commonly associated with movie spies. Or movie actors.

Well, to be fair the guy who looks least like a spy makes for the best spy.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4969
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2017, 07:29:06 PM »

You didn't learn that a long time ago from Steven Seagal?

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 10:27:04 AM »
Microwaving dynamite can blow up a whole house. But only when the timer dings 0:00.