login

Author Topic: Why was so much of the movie missing?  (Read 3274 times)

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 743
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Why was so much of the movie missing?
« on: October 22, 2017, 07:01:14 AM »
It's not like it's a long movie, but about 30 minutes were cut. Most of what was cut were fight scenes, particularly scenes involving the other four characters. Didn't you wonder why so much of the movie was spent on recruiting the Fly, and then he didn't do anything?

This was one of the best riffs this year. Here's to hoping we get a complete version in the near future.

Offline V.E.R.A.

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 1
Re: Why was so much of the movie missing?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 09:03:21 AM »
The real tragedy is what we lost out on in terms of Riffs here.   There is an additional 30 minutes of lost fight footage; the gang tears up a redneck bar and battles an army of evil karate dudes who show up via parachute drop. 

There is also a brief but priceless lovescene with Steve Chase and Kandy Kane where he opens the floor by licking her on the shoulder (candy cane? seriously?)   

Could Mike Kevin and Bill pick up the "lost footage" in an amended release?  Or a live show?  One can only hope...  This was one of the funniest Riffs I've ever seen.

Offline ManUnderMask

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 151
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 08:24:28 PM »
I asked the same question and got no answer either. And as I've posted before, this isn't the first one. Every VOD from Missile X (minus Oblivion and Little Unicorn) are all missing 15 to 30 minutes.
I survived the San Diego Comic Con 2010 Hall H stabbing.

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 629
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 11:02:07 AM »
The movies are being edited for content, pacing, and just overall comedy.  It's the same thing that they used to do with MST, just now it doesn't have to be done for ad breaks. They go through the move, give me the timecode that they want cut, I make it look as natural as I can. In the end it enables them to riff movies that have potential but they otherwise wouldn't touch.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 11:08:17 AM by Thrashalla »
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 11:26:23 AM »
I understand a bit why it's done, but still wish it wasn't being done. This week's relaease is another one. Mind Ripper- full film clocks in at 108 minutes. Riiftrax release only 77.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 376
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 12:09:02 PM »
The movies are being edited for content, pacing, and just overall comedy.  It's the same thing that they used to do with MST, just now it doesn't have to be done for ad breaks. They go through the move, give me the timecode that they want cut, I make it look as natural as I can. In the end it enables them to riff movies that have potential but they otherwise wouldn't touch.

Bad move.  Just think of the number of Golden Corral and Nick Nolte jokes we could be missing out on!
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline ManUnderMask

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 151
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 01:03:21 PM »
I understand a bit why it's done, but still wish it wasn't being done. This week's relaease is another one. Mind Ripper- full film clocks in at 108 minutes. Riiftrax release only 77.

Missile X lost 25 minutes.

Uninvited, Final Justice, Merlin, and Psychotronic Man weren't cut too bad (12 to 16), but they were also only 90 minutes.

Though this does make me want to find the uncut versions now. Maybe I can sycn the riffs up to that, and just have massive gaps of silence during the cut parts. Hmm. I think I have a new project which I will abandon after two weeks. Did I say two weeks? I mean I already abandoned it.

Bad move.

Golden Corral's new slogan.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 01:11:58 PM by ManUnderMask »
I survived the San Diego Comic Con 2010 Hall H stabbing.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 276
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 01:40:49 PM »
Though this does make me want to find the uncut versions now. Maybe I can sycn the riffs up to that, and just have massive gaps of silence during the cut parts. Hmm. I think I have a new project which I will abandon after two weeks. Did I say two weeks? I mean I already abandoned it.

I did that with Shake Hands With Danger, because the parts that they cut out were hilarious on their own. I ended up putting some text at the bottom of the video during the unriffed sections (letting the viewer know there were no riffs). Not sure if that was better than nothing or not.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 376
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 11:09:37 PM »

Bad move.

Golden Corral's new slogan.
;D

In truth, I actually love the Golden Corral running gag.  If I were a rich man, I would hire someone to go through every Rifftrax of the past few years and make a supercut of every time they used that gag.  Or if I had the patience I'd do it myself, but you'd have to watch over 100 Rifftrax to flush them all out.  They've been going to that well for years now.

I do honestly detest the Nick Nolte jokes, and grit my teeth whenever I know one is coming.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 307
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 11:50:55 PM »
I get it, I get it, especially where repetitive fight scenes and such are concerned.

But 30 minutes is a bit much.

Offline V.E.R.A.

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 10:05:44 AM »
But 30 minutes is a bit much.

I agree.  The Kane/Chase love scene definitely should have gotten the treatment. 

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 743
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 12:03:11 PM »
Here's the thing: If I'm paying $10 for a VoD, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect around 90 minutes of movie. Unless the movie itself is shorter than that.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5894
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 01:05:50 PM »
Here's the thing: If I'm paying $10 for a VoD, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect around 90 minutes of movie. Unless the movie itself is shorter than that.
I agree. Also it's only the significantly longer movies, well over two hours, they they have increased the price due to the length. I am fine with that as well. So for $10 I can expect an hour and a half to two hour movie.

I get that these kinds of movies can be challenging to riff, due to repetitiveness or pacing. But it's often in those challenging portions that they have brought us the best running gags. Rock climbing, Reb Brown's goofy names, Packers, etc.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2648
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 05:18:46 PM »
Personally, I want the funniest product - If that means cutting the movie, I am 100% on board.
FINE

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 307
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 04:48:29 AM »
If I'm not mistaken MST eps minus host segs clocked in at about 120 minutes.