login

Author Topic: Divinity: Original Sin 2  (Read 250 times)

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 416
Divinity: Original Sin 2
« on: October 20, 2017, 07:19:48 PM »
I've been thinking of getting this. I haven't played a good RPG for what feels like years, and I'm seeing a lot of praise for it. Variety, I know you're playing it, and I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Also, will it matter that I never played the first game?

Online Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1174
Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 10:49:34 PM »
I've been thinking of getting this. I haven't played a good RPG for what feels like years, and I'm seeing a lot of praise for it. Variety, I know you're playing it, and I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Also, will it matter that I never played the first game?

Naw. No need to play the first game. The plot of the first game has been alluded to a couple times as something that happened in the past, but you won’t be missing much. Though if this is your first time I’d recommend playing on normal difficulty, as it takes a while to figure out the combat and battles even between normal enemies can be dangerous on the more difficult setting if you don’t have a plan.

I highly recommend it. There’s so much I can say, and so much that has been said. But I’ll try and focus on the highlights:

You have a ton of freedom. You can kill anyone and it won’t break the game. Really, anyone can die, including quest givers, but they have thrown in enough alternatives to finishing quests that if you decide to kill the person you were supposed to help you can still finish the quest. I’ll give another example, but I’ll spoiler it because it’s fun to figure out on your own
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
. The game has a lot of things like that. Mechanics that aren’t expressly written into the game, but are doable because it gives you so much freedom.  And the game leaves it up to you to figure these things out.

The story is also quite interesting so far. It’s not groundbreaking, but it lets characters make choices based on their traits and flaws instead of only being bland heros. Also, your companions can have private conversations with other npcs that you can’t hear all of. So their stories can continue without you. It’s pretty neat.

I’ll post more about combat and other stuff tomorrow. But it’s a wonderful game.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 416
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 03:59:07 PM »
Thanks! Yes, please do post more. I will almost certainly buy it when I have the money. Between this and Wolfenstein 2, it's going to be an expensive October.

Online Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1174
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 03:34:52 AM »
Alright, here’s a post about combat.

First, you should know that you can’t grind in this game. There are no random encounters. All combat plays out on the same map as the regular world, and can happen at any time. Nothing respawns. Every dead corpse you leave will stay there for the rest of the game. Most leveling is done by completing parts of story quests. On Tactician difficulty side quests aren’t really optional because I need the experience to advance considering enemies do not scale to you, they are a set level. Also, most fights, especially group fights that are intended to be fights, are with a group of enemies that join combat at the same time. So trying to lure out weaker enemies and pick them off isn’t a valid strategy. You can join a fight, kill a couple characters, flee and then come back fully rested, but that’s difficult to do.

Since combat happens on the same map, you can fight anyone. If you damage a friendly character enough they will turn on you and it will switch into combat mode. This brings any of your four PCs (party is a max of four, but you can have less if you want or if you’re stupid) that the enemy can see into turn based combat. If one of your PCs is hidden or somewhere on the other side of the map then they won’t be forced into turn based mode. This means you can use them to sneak around while
Everyone else is frozen in combat and either get in a free attack or run away... or anything else you’d like.

Once you’re in turn based combat it plays out similar to Xcom. The main difference is that all actions pull from a pool of action points, including movement. The farther you move, the more action points it takes. The more powerful the skill or spell, the more action points.  This system has been refined vs the original which was somewhat exploitable later on.

But you can do anything in combat you could out of combat, it just takes action points now. You can move crates, loot bodies, pull levers, anything. It allows each fight to feel different depending on what is around you.

It’s a deep system that takes a while to get used to.  Thinking outside the box is useful, but not easy because the game doesn’t detail many strategies. It leaves it up to you to figure out.