login

Author Topic: A Season 12 Wishlist  (Read 2605 times)

Offline Iron Curtain

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 5
    • My website full o' stuff.
Re: A Season 12 Wishlist
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2017, 11:40:51 AM »
Also, I could do without Shorts. I actually think Rifftrax does them better than MST3K did (plus, they're more suited to the internet and portable devices), but that's just me.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4953
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2017, 01:31:50 PM »
It seems like Rifftrax has done so many shorts that it would be difficult for them to find ones that haven't been riffed.

Online Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 3808
  • Now you're playing with power!
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2017, 04:55:00 AM »
I think there are shorts out there they could riff.  Of course, the show is currently at its shortest length and many of the movies are already being edited, but I would love to have them find a way.  Oh, maybe an entire episode that's just shorts.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2017, 06:00:16 AM »
Quote from: Johnny Unusual
Oh, maybe an entire episode that's just shorts.

Rifftrax already does that. They had the MST3K reunion last year and the Summer Shorts thing this year. I'd rather that be delegated to Rifftrax than have MST3K impede on their territory.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2017, 01:07:08 PM »
Also, to add to my wishlist, I'd like Cambot to actually do something. In the classic series, it actually did things other than just act as the camera. It also played music, zoomed up in letters, moved around and did lots of cool stuff. In season 11, it seems like it's just a camera and its only activity grandfathered over from the old show is the zooming in for the letters.

Offline stethacantus

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2017, 10:10:09 PM »
I'd like to see them be a little looser with their requirement of high quality widescreen prints. It's going to be really hard to get really old low budget movies that way. Which are the majority of the type of movie they should be riffing.

I could see their reasoning for HQ Widescreen. If they are going to release these episodes on home video, then they are going to want good prints so they can release the same films uncut as a bonus. So when they release episode #1 on Blu-Ray, they can also release the uncut Reptilicus. That way someone looking to purchase the movie Reptilicus will end up purchasing the episode. The same thing Rhino was doing with some of the MST3K releases, only they did so with the same poor quality prints used for the series. People don't buy poor quality prints on home video anymore. If someone is going to buy a crap movie like Manos: The Hands of Fate then they are going to want it sourced from a restored print of the original camera negative shown in it's original aspect ratio. The company that uses one of the cheap prints from the past will lose sales to the company that went to the trouble of releasing the quality print. The thing I liked about the Rifftrax DVDs was that you could switch to the original track, and it would be a quality DVD release of the film. They probably sold a lot of DVDs to people just looking to buy a good copy of Carnival of Souls or The House on Haunted Hill

BTW, the quality of the film prints on the original MST3K was horrendous. Not just the use of worn theatrical prints, but the bad video transfers. I am convinced most of the PD films came from the local Woolworth, and what you saw on MST3K was mastered from a LP budget video.

-Jonah back and not another new host.

That really depends on if Jonah only agreed to a single year. It is sort of like with Doctor Who, and how the actors playing the Doctor could stay on the show as long as a decade, or only agree to stay on for a single season. Not many people these days wish to commit to a series indefinitely as the did in the past. People with even the minutest sliver of fame get a lot of lucrative offers, which they don't want to pass up because they are bound to a streaming video show. The only way they could keep Jonah on the show would be to offer him a lot of $$$ in a long term pay or pay contract, which I don't know if MST3K could afford. Otherwise, he is only there until he gets a better offer to do something else, and MST3K will need to find a different host.

-Shorts.
I second shorts. Not that there isn't an abundance of riffed shorts to be found around here SOMEWHERE, but there's something about that little appetizer before the movie that makes them both more delicious.

Lets not forget that the only reason why shorts existed on MST3K in the first place was because they had a lot of movies that ran far shorter than their two hour time slot, and unless they were going to have extra long host segments, needed something for filler. I don't know if there is any incentive for the streaming video episodes to fit a specific running time, therefore no incentive for shorts.

Also, the shorts used for MST3K were old and worn and not widescreen. They would need to find HD widescreen shorts for the new MST3K episodes, and I don't really think many of those exist.

Felicia Day to actually act more threatening as Kinga Forrester. I don't feel like she has that lovable jerk role as good as Trace and Mary Jo did Clayton and Pearl. I think Patton Oswalt as TV's Son of TV's Frank is perfect, though.

In my opinion, everyone in the current cast was chosen because they had some sort of cult following and could bring a new batch of nerds to MST3K. For example, Felicia Day has a huge following from the Joss Whedon nerds. She already had an established screen persona which she probably does not want to stray too far from.

Offline pstokely

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2017, 05:22:17 AM »
I'd love to see them (or Rifftrax) riff The Buttercream Gang but I doubt Feature Films for Films will license it out to be riffed

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 06:54:50 AM »
I'd love to see them (or Rifftrax) riff The Buttercream Gang but I doubt Feature Films for Films will license it out to be riffed
I only know about The Buttercream Gang because of The Cinema Snob. A movie with a title like that, I'd rather see riffed by a group that would be  more willing to go blue. Cinester Theater, Ice On Mars, something like that. Plus it's a religious movie. MST3K and Rifftrax tends to avoid those, likely to prevent offending anyone.

Offline Toyland Chairman

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 76
    • Toyland: The First DEMONIC TOYS Homepage
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2017, 11:55:03 AM »
I feel really restricted trying to come up with a list. I want something that's enjoyable in its own right, nothing post-1980s, and not too much violence and nudity. Would it work better if Season 12 just riffed films Shout! Factory already owns?

Season 11 has fourteen episodes. So let's just list fourteen. No particular order.

MASTER NINJA III
TEENAGE ZOMBIES (with Short)
YETI: GIANT OF THE 20TH CENTURY
DOCTOR STRANGE (1978)
CAPTAIN AMERICA II: DEATH TOO SOON
JESSE JAMES MEETS FRANKENSTEIN'S DAUGHTER
VOYAGE TO THE PREHISTORIC PLANET (with Short)
THE LEGEND OF BIGFOOT (with Short)
THE LONE RANGER AND THE LOST CITY OF GOLD
ELIMINATORS
ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS (with 1 or 2 Shorts)
UP FROM THE DEPTHS
CREATURE FROM THE HAUNTED SEA
SAMSON IN THE WAX MUSEUM

I'd list more MASTER NINJA films, and even some films from the KTMA era that I'd like re-riffed, but then I'd have no room for the others.

THE LEGEND OF BIGFOOT is actually a documentary. I just thought MST3K could try something different. If it's a flop episode, then just stick with regular movies.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 12:11:01 PM by Toyland Chairman »
For DEMONIC TOYS and updates on Full Moon Films:
www.freewebs.com/demonictoys/

Offline Iron Curtain

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2017, 02:46:07 PM »
I feel really restricted trying to come up with a list. I want something that's enjoyable in its own right, nothing post-1980s, and not too much violence and nudity. Would it work better if Season 12 just riffed films Shout! Factory already owns?

Season 11 has fourteen episodes. So let's just list fourteen. No particular order.

MASTER NINJA III
TEENAGE ZOMBIES (with Short)
YETI: GIANT OF THE 20TH CENTURY
DOCTOR STRANGE (1978)
JESSE JAMES MEETS FRANKENSTEIN'S DAUGHTER
VOYAGE TO THE PREHISTORIC PLANET (with Short)
THE LEGEND OF BIGFOOT (with Short)
THE LONE RANGER AND THE LOST CITY OF GOLD
ELIMINATORS
ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS (with 1 or 2 Shorts)
UP FROM THE DEPTHS
CREATURE FROM THE HAUNTED SEA
SAMSON IN THE WAX MUSEUM

[Ed: Bold Mine]

YES TO THIS! I want to see Master Ninja III if for no other reason that they were going to do it on TV's Frank's final episode but opted for Samson vs. The Vampire Women instead. I just hope they have an HD print of it…

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2017, 02:54:36 PM »

DOCTOR STRANGE (1978)

I doubt they could get these since Marvel is owned by Disney now.

Offline Toyland Chairman

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 76
    • Toyland: The First DEMONIC TOYS Homepage
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2017, 05:58:40 PM »

DOCTOR STRANGE (1978)

I doubt they could get these since Marvel is owned by Disney now.

Technically doesn't Universal own these films? Both were distributed onto DVD through Shout! Factory. Does Disney really have any say on the matter?
For DEMONIC TOYS and updates on Full Moon Films:
www.freewebs.com/demonictoys/

Online Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2017, 07:13:22 AM »
Oh, I had a list somewhere around here for eps I'd like to see.

Yor - Hunter from the Future
Body Slam (a Hal Needham wrestling picture)
The Brain from Planet Arous
Toomorrow (a terrible Monkees sci-fi rip-off)
Sssssss ("Don't say it, hiss it!")
Empire of the Ants
The Sleeping Car (a weird little horror movie I saw years ago.  It's ostensibly about a haunted train car turned into a home, but the ghost only seems to possess his sofa bed)
Teen Witch
Babes in Toyland (the TV movie with Keanu Reeves.  For Christmas.  Though I suppose I only want to see a new Christmas episode if they get a new host)
9 Deaths of the Ninja (will need some censoring)

Offline stethacantus

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2017, 05:23:46 PM »
I don't know if any T.V. movies would make it on the new MST3K as the ones made before 2000 were all shot in 1:33:1 and not widescreen.

One of my friends had his own wish list of films for the next season of MST3K

The Day The Clown Cried ( 1972 )
Star Crash II ( 1981 ) aka Escape From Galaxy 3
Fantastic Four ( 1994 ) a.k.a. Roger Corman's Fantastic Four
Skyscraper ( 1996 )  Die Hard with Anna Nicole Smith
Mac & Me ( 1988 ) E.T. ripoff starring Ronald McDonald
Turkish Star Wars ( 1982 ) a.k.a. The Man Who Saved The World
Major Movie Star ( 2008 ) a.k.a. Private Valentine: Blonde & Dangerous
Spider-man ( 1978 ) Legitimate Spider-man film produced by Toho

Online Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2017, 05:27:42 PM »
I think the sad truth is that most Turkish rip-off movies haven't been dubbed.  Still an episode working with subtitles (on the top) could make for a great one-off gimmick episode.