Author Topic: Say, did anyone ever see this article in UpRoxx?  (Read 227 times)

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
Say, did anyone ever see this article in UpRoxx?
« on: April 18, 2017, 10:41:59 PM »
While perusing the internet for things regarding Rifftrax and MST3K, I stumbled across this Mike Nelson interview from UpRoxx, from June of last year.  I haven't seen mention of it here on this portion of the site, so I thought I would post this particular portion here.  The whole article, which is mostly about the long past MST3K/Rifftrax Reunion Show, is available here.

How are iRiffs going?

It seems good. I wish I could dip into it more. Unfortunately, for me, the writing is so time intensive and it really occupies your mind in a way that — my wife always says “We’re supposed to go out to dinner with someone” and I say “Honey, please, I am writing a John Carradine movie here!” Like, my mind is fully focused on laughs for days. And then you put it aside when you’re done and you start over again. The iRiffs, people respond well to them and I think people have built their own audiences with them, which is nice.

Do you look at iRiffs as sort of a farm system to find writers for RiffTrax?

Yes, yes we do. When you’re a small company, one of our goals is to have someone just deep dive into the iRiffs and find these writers. It’s one of those things that comes up nearly every meeting. “Who’s on this?” We’re busy, but that is definitely something we look forward to because those people are going to bubble to the top and we’ve done some things, but not enough frankly. So that is a goal, to do more sort of combing through the stuff and finding the talent.

Best advice for up-and-coming riffers?

I think producing funny stuff is always the best way. People submit scripts all the time and sometimes we will just look for funny people on Twitter or YouTube or whatever, where you find someone who you think “What they’re doing kind of applies to what we’re doing or they can be taught to do it.” So you kind of reach out and see if there’s interest in that. But it generally comes from people producing something, whether it be an iRiff (which is the obvious closest thing) or just comedy on YouTube and those things tend to find their way to us. That’s what I always tell young people — produce. Just produce stuff. Don’t wait around for anyone and maybe not try to get someone’s attention by finding their info and sending them something because people just get busy. That’s a tough one, it’s easier to just do something funny to get their attention.

EDIT: Clarified it was an interview with Mike.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 10:51:53 PM by SJP »
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: Say, did anyone ever see this article in UpRoxx?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 05:31:02 AM »
I think there is one iRiffer that has written for them at times. Is it Josh Way?

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked:
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 07:12:05 AM »
I find it strange that a year old article would have Mike claim that iRiffs "seems good" during a point when it was already down and missing the ability to upload.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline poobah103

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
  • Sufficient Springs!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 11:45:34 AM »
I think he was being diplomatic. I'm sure they recognize that there's a lot of overlap between their fans and the people making their own riffs, and they don't want to alienate those people. I wouldn't be surprised if Mike really means it when he says the intent was to let the cream float to the top as a way of recruiting new writers, I'm sure they really did plan to do that in the early days, but that would require a huge investment of time and attention that they probably never got around to making. Obviously action speaks louder than words, and the fact that they haven't been accepting new riffs for this long shows that it's not a priority for them, but I can understand why he wouldn't want to just come out and say that.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked:
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 02:56:08 PM »
I think there is one iRiffer that has written for them at times. Is it Josh Way?

I know Josh has. Not sure of any others.