login

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 2298 times)

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1464
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2017, 03:18:47 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Friend codes make a return on the Switch.

http://nintendotoday.com/switch-friend-codes/

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 260
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2017, 04:12:02 PM »
News about the Switch just gets worse and worse. Turns out the Joy Cons' connection to the system is really easily interrupted and in general aren't comfortable to use. Since the pro controller is an extra $70, that's a pretty big deal.
Travel back to a time when wenches were simple, ones were dark, and kings greeted you with a smile. IN THE NAME OF THE KING 2 NOW AVAILABLE from QuipTracks!

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2107
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2017, 04:20:37 PM »
News about the Switch just gets worse and worse. Turns out the Joy Cons' connection to the system is really easily interrupted and in general aren't comfortable to use. Since the pro controller is an extra $70, that's a pretty big deal.

The opinion on the comfort of the controllers seems to vary wildly - I've seen both love and hate for them.
FINE

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2170
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2017, 06:55:04 PM »
Well I settled up at Gamestop and got #2. Now all I have to do is head over there near Midnight, get in line, and I'll be out with my Switch and Zelda in  no time. :^)

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 281
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2017, 07:44:47 PM »
the Zelda reviews are certainly ridiculously high.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2170
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2017, 01:14:59 AM »
Well, I've breathed in a tiny bit of the wild. It's an awesome Zelda game. It evokes a little of the old magic. "You're link. This is Hyrule. Grab the first weapon you can get your hands on and start saving it. Figure it out."

As for the switch itself, I like it. I've played mostly through my TV and didn't run into any of the reported controller connection problems, so far.  Docking and undocking the system is fairly easy and the controllers slip into their spots firmly. Everything is super light weight and comfortable to hold.

I feel a tiny bit underwhelmed because I'm used to having something besides the games to mess around with in my Nintendo systems. There's no plaza to greet me with random Miis squeaking and intermingling. No fun little built-in metagames to toy with. No weather apps or news feeds. It plays games. And I guess that's all I need it to do, but I've grown accustomed to having little diversions and curiosities to fiddle with in my Nintendo systems. It helps me get attached to them. Of course, the system is young and who knows what the interface will be like by the time it reaches the end of its life.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 281
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2017, 11:35:25 PM »
Definitely rushed out to get sales for the quarter.

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 58
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2017, 05:30:31 PM »
The wife is a Mario and mobile gaming fanatic, so I picked her up a Super Mario Odyssey edition of the Switch for Xmas (shopped early cause I figure they'll sell out in a lot of places as we get closer to the holiday). Game was a pretty big download for a mobile game (8 GB). Picked up Doom and Zelda for me. Plan to give the system a try this weekend while the wife is at work before gift wrapping it.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 5
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2017, 10:48:15 AM »
The wife is a Mario and mobile gaming fanatic, so I picked her up a Super Mario Odyssey edition of the Switch for Xmas (shopped early cause I figure they'll sell out in a lot of places as we get closer to the holiday). Game was a pretty big download for a mobile game (8 GB). Picked up Doom and Zelda for me. Plan to give the system a try this weekend while the wife is at work before gift wrapping it.

You're in for a treat! I have some other game recommendations:
  • Thimbleweed Park (Long-lost Lucasarts Adventure Game in the style of the golden era made by same people, except not published by LucasArts or Disney. I backed this on kickstarter)
  • Use Your Words (Jackbox-like Party game where you get to insert your own dialog into movie clips à la MST3K and Rifftrax. Fun with friends and family! Also backed this on Kickstarter)
  • Steamworld Dig 2 (Metroidvania-esque game where you can dig terrain. Boatloads of fun!)
In the future, I'm planning to get Wolfenstein 2, the mainline Fire Emblem game, and Freedom Planet 2. Enjoy your Switch, 'cause I sure as hell am enjoying mine! :D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 10:51:06 AM by Iron Curtain »

Offline Retro Muppet Pastor

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 12
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2017, 11:21:47 AM »
I've seen the ads, and the Switch just seems dumb and gimmicky.  I want a system that plugs into my TV and connects via a game controller.  Nintendo is losing me because of these hijinx.

I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2017, 02:08:45 PM »
I've seen the ads, and the Switch just seems dumb and gimmicky.  I want a system that plugs into my TV and connects via a game controller.  Nintendo is losing me because of these hijinx.

You know that the Nintendo Switch has Pro Controllers, right?

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 58
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2017, 03:14:45 PM »
Thanks for the game recomendations.

For us, this will see almost all of it's time as a mobile system and very little if any time hooked up to a TV (which sounds like it has it's pluses and minuses for a game like Doom- graphics supposedly a lot more impressive on the mobile screen than on a TV but text in mobile mode supposed to be too small).

I consider the switch to be less gimmicy than the WiiU and that it fixes many of the problems that that system had- mainly that my wife (who has gotten way more use out of it then I ever did) primary plays games using the WiiU controller screen and not on the TV, but that requires the controller to be in the same room as the main system so it's not really portable.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2107
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2017, 04:19:20 PM »

It does that. It just has other options too.
FINE

Offline Iron Curtain

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2017, 05:37:32 AM »

For us, this will see almost all of it's time as a mobile system and very little if any time hooked up to a TV (which sounds like it has it's pluses and minuses for a game like Doom- graphics supposedly a lot more impressive on the mobile screen than on a TV but text in mobile mode supposed to be too small).

I forgot to warn you about Use Your Words: It's 3-6 players and there's no single-player mode. Also, everyone plays with their Smartphones (or really any device that has an HTML5 browser).

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1464
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2017, 05:49:13 AM »

I forgot to warn you about Use Your Words: It's 3-6 players and there's no single-player mode. Also, everyone plays with their Smartphones (or really any device that has an HTML5 browser).

I saw UYW is rated M. Exactly how mature is it? Just wondering because I'd like to check it out but most likely would have to play with my kids.