Author Topic: So I got a Samsung 500GB SSD for Christmas...  (Read 643 times)

Offline CJones

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
So I got a Samsung 500GB SSD for Christmas...
« on: January 02, 2017, 12:12:29 PM »
...and I'm trying to decide how best to use it. Samsung has cloning software that would let me transfer the OS along with most everything else. Problem is, my HDD is 1TB (and it's full), and the cloning software claims that anything I exclude from the cloning will be deleted from the source drive. First off, why would it be deleted? And second, can I just move the OS and my games to the SSD and keep everything else on the HDD? If so, how?

Advice would be appreciated.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
Re: So I got a Samsung 500GB SSD for Christmas...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 03:50:56 PM »
Do you have any kind of external drive you can transfer the excess stuff to?  I'm guessing not, otherwise you would have mentioned that. 

There is probably third party cloning software that isn't so destructive, but unfortunately I don't have any to recommend.  I know a few people here have had success with drive cloning, but I always prefer to go with a clean OS install when moving to a new boot drive.  One less thing to worry about when problems crop up, and it gives me a chance to rid myself of old programs I had forgotten about.  But that's just me admittedly being a little paranoid.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 08:01:59 PM »
I've used the Samsung cloning software several times and it never erased any data on the old drive, but all the times I used it all the data would fit onto the new SSD.  On my laptop I went from a 750GB hard drive to a 500GB SSD, but I only had 400GB of data to move.

All the easy options I can think of kind of need a 3rd drive to back up your stuff onto...

You might be stuck with installing the SSD alone first as C: and reinstall the OS and all your programs, then install the old HD  as D: and all the data on it should be accessible.  I've done that in the past plenty of times and it always took an entire evening...

Offline CJones

• Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 11:14:31 AM »
So I whittled down my HDD to the point where I could clone it. 54% done, and the cloning software failed. Fragmentation error. Claimed the drive might be physically damaged. I chkdsk'ed my C: drive, no errors. So now I'm defragging it, but I don't see why that should matter.

The only thing I can think might have caused it to fail is that I was using a SATA 2 cable (I have a SATA 3 cable coming in the mail). Silly me to think the SSD would come with it's own cable  ::)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 04:35:35 PM »
So I whittled down my HDD to the point where I could clone it. 54% done, and the cloning software failed. Fragmentation error. Claimed the drive might be physically damaged. I chkdsk'ed my C: drive, no errors. So now I'm defragging it, but I don't see why that should matter.

The only thing I can think might have caused it to fail is that I was using a SATA 2 cable (I have a SATA 3 cable coming in the mail). Silly me to think the SSD would come with it's own cable  ::)

I doubt it's the cable, I remember seeing a few videos years ago where people did tests with all kinds of SATA cables and didn't see any differences between them.

Some cloning software can be picky about how the data is arranged, so hopefully defraging the drive will get it to work.  It's probably left over from doing HD to HD cloning, for an SSD fragmentation doesn't matter, in fact you want it fragmented so the data is randomly distributed around the chips (helps longer drive life).

Offline CJones

• Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 04:36:59 AM »
After the de-frag and the new cable, the cloning software did work. Unfortunately I can't get the system to actually boot from the SSD correctly. It gets stuck in an endless reboot cycle for some reason.

It's hard to believe I was actually a computer science major in college. That was nearly 20 years ago. I liked the coding, but I hate dealing with crap that doesn't work the way it's supposed to. I like to tell people that if they had any idea how ludicrously complicated the inner workings of computers are, they would be continuously amazed that they work at all :o 

Offline SJP

• Liked:
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 11:37:20 AM »
Don't know if you've gotten it to work by now, but did you boot up to the BIOS and tell the computer to boot from the new drive?  It sounds like such a stupid thing in this day and age, but the boot order might have gotten screwed up and the new HD needs to be the primary boot-up method.  I would also recommend removing the old drive (or at least, unplug it from the motherboard) if you haven't done so, because as soon as your computer detects doubles of every program it'll more than likely freak out in some way.

I hope it all works out.  I did the same thing with my PC in the middle of last year, and nothing has improved performance better.  Memory has never done much for me, and video cards make all the games run smoother and prettier, but there's nothing quite like booting up my long-suffering hobby-built PC (the thing has been patched like Frankenstein since 2001 or so, upgraded as needed over the years) and still being shocked at how quickly it starts.  Can't wait until the larger size ones are available more cheaply so we can all start slapping magnets on our PCs without fear, as we've all wanted to do. ;)

Oh, on a serious note, once it IS running, there are a couple of tweaks you should do to add longevity to the drive.  Make sure defragging is turned off (they don't need it, and defragging actually shortens the disk's lifespan), as well as a couple of other things like indexing.  There's all kinds of guides out there that tell you how.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline CJones

• Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 04:48:57 PM »
I did change the boot order in the BIOS. It actually got as far as the desktop before getting stuck in a reboot cycle.

Eventually I said "screw it" and wiped the SSD. Now I use it as a second drive for games with long load times. Witcher 3, DOOM, Wolfenstein, Dark Souls 3 etc.. And in those cases, it does make a noticeable difference.  I saw no real advantage to having the OS on the SSD. I only ever reboot the computer when it crashes, freezes or is otherwise necessary. And I never turn it off unless I'm out or town, or have to take it apart.

Offline Riffer

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
    • Enigma Media
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 06:19:17 AM »
I'd recommend having an SSD for a OS drive. If you're gonna have basic software like internet browsers, some editing software and stuff like that you should see big difference between HDD and SSD. The other thing is that - I'm not sure if thts confirmed - but having an SSD drive as a drive where you have a lot of savegames which weight a lot and stuff like that might just decrease it lifetime. Of course the best would be to remove all HDDs having just SSDs but that's hell of expensive unfortunately.

Remember - There are two kinds of people, those who back up their stuff and those who have never lost all their data.  :highfive:

Offline SJP

• Liked:
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 11:23:07 AM »
The other thing is that - I'm not sure if thts confirmed - but having an SSD drive as a drive where you have a lot of savegames which weight a lot and stuff like that might just decrease it lifetime. Of course the best would be to remove all HDDs having just SSDs but that's hell of expensive unfortunately.

The good news about this is that the biggest problem with the SSD, the failure rate, has actually pulled close to regular HDDs in recent years (most of them can now reportedly last at least a decade, even at high rates of data transfer) which makes their speed and efficiency becoming more and more of positive thing.  The big issue, however, is what happens when it DOES fail.  This may be being fixed in newer drives, but when an SSD goes down, everything on it reportedly goes, too, unlike traditional hard drives, where data can still (usually) be recovered if part of it goes kablooie.

In short, don't worry about using a SSD for game saves, documents, and stuff like that...just make sure you occasionally save your most important stuff somewhere else, just to be safe.  But that's a good policy for everything in life in general.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.