login

Author Topic: Myth-ish Busters News  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 988
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Myth-ish Busters News
« on: November 28, 2016, 09:56:04 AM »
Well, since they got removed from Mythbusters, the old build team of Grant, Kari and Tory have been hinting that they've been working on something, and the trailer for it dropped today:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ohb5k3_vQcE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ohb5k3_vQcE</a>

Frankly I'm in the mood to see folks blowing up stuff, so this is welcome news, even if it seems slightly less scientific than the old show. All episodes drop on Netflix on December 9th.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2641
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Myth-ish Busters News
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 10:19:47 AM »
I'm so glad they are going to be back doing their own show. 

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5708
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 11:56:59 AM »
Sweet! I'll have to check this out. I missed them in the final season.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 01:12:55 PM »
The last myth those guys did on Mythbusters was a horrible sendoff for them, Kari wearing big fake boobs to see how it changed how much she got in the tip jar.   So it will be great to see them doing real experiments again.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 02:28:22 PM »
Yes!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 12:25:11 AM »
I've watched  a few of them, it's OK, but they don't build enough stuff, a lot of the time they are simply explaining events that have happened in real life rather than testing them out themselves.

I guess I wasn't expecting it to be more of a documentary show with a few real life recreations here and there.   

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 06:11:13 AM »
Watched the first one. I agree. It's ok. Good background show to have on while I'm doing paperwork for work I guess.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 09:43:14 AM »
Watched the first one. I agree. It's ok. Good background show to have on while I'm doing paperwork for work I guess.

I've now watched all 10 and I'd say probably around half of them you could just listen as if it was a podcast and not really miss out on anything.  But there are a few really interesting builds.

I guess doing historical recreations with actors and sets is much cheaper than building stuff.  And of course some of the time they are using what looks like flash animation so that's even cheaper.

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 407
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 02:46:11 PM »
Was this made for an actual TV network? It's formatted like it was, with absurd amounts of fluff and padding. With no runtime to reach, it's all very pointless. Even if it was made for TV first, an editor should have taken a machete to all their re-enactments before it hit Netflix.

There's cool stuff here, but it's buried in junk.
QuipTracks VS Alone in the Dark is NOW AVAILABLE!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 05:54:24 PM »
I think it was made for Netflix, but I agree it is formatted like it was made for a cable network that has a lot of commercial breaks.

As for the reliance on recreations, my guess is they only had a budget that would have made maybe 3 or 4 episodes of Mythbusters, and padded it out to 10 episodes.

I was so disappointed during the Jousting episode, I really wanted to see how many Gs there were when the guys fell off the horses and hit the ground, since I've done that a few times, but all they talked about was the force of being hit by the lance.  That episode had the most pointless build, all that work just to see if the G sensors worked?  They could have spent that money on something more interesting in a different episode.

Here's hoping Netflix gives them a bigger budget if they order a season 2, other than the jousting one the stuff they built was pretty good.