login

Author Topic: MST3K Coming To Comet TV Network  (Read 4394 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2167
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: MST3K Coming To Comet TV Network
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2016, 12:20:29 AM »
Well Comet and MST3K are obviously a match made in heaven, but they made the super-weird choice to extend the second episode to 3 hours and inflate it with a full extra hour of commercials. I thought it was an error but it matches the schedule on my DVR and it looks like next week's going to do the same thing with Wild World of Batwoman (Which is hard enough to watch WITHOUT 15-minute long commercial breaks). My guess is they figure everyone's going to be DVRing it anyway, and can skip those commercials, so why not sell an extra hour of commercial time? Sucks when you're watching live, though.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 12:26:10 AM by Pak-Man »

Online Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 3808
  • Now you're playing with power!
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2016, 05:31:06 AM »
Agreed, but I'm from Canada where MST3k never aired.  Better to have it that was then not have it at all.  And I haven't heard of Comet before (is it an offshoot of Syfy, a la Cartoon Network and Boomerang or is it it's own entity?) so I'm not too surprised that it might just make more financial sense for them.  But yeah, that seems pretty ridiculous.  Is it on late at night?  Because I can't imagine that kind of nonsense happening in prime time.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2016, 06:57:12 AM »
Yeah, they air 2 episodes a night. The first episode airs around 9ish here, and is the standard commercial to show ratio. The second comes on at 11 (Well, 11:30 after a half hour of commercials) and runs 'til 1 AM.

Comet's a separate entity from Syfy, but feels a lot like that network did in its glory days. They air a lot of movies and programming that would feel right at home on MST3K.

Offline Parker_Hylton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2016, 04:59:05 AM »
I watched "Manos" with only regular commercials until 10, but then like Pak said they had "Teenagers from Outer Space" only AFTER a half hour of commercials.  It ran an extra hour, so I assume they had another half hour of commercials at the end (I'm old, can't stay up that late).  It would be crazy to have a half hour in the middle of the show.

One thing I DID notice, they said that they had Internet streaming, so for those folks that don't have Comet on Dish or with their local providers...

Anyways, the schedule looks to currently be 2 episodes Sunday nights 8pm to 1am.  If they do what they did last Sunday you can pretty much watch a normal episode 8-10.

Offline dbsommer

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2016, 08:32:41 PM »
Agreed, but I'm from Canada where MST3k never aired.  Better to have it that was then not have it at all.  And I haven't heard of Comet before (is it an offshoot of Syfy, a la Cartoon Network and Boomerang or is it it's own entity?) so I'm not too surprised that it might just make more financial sense for them.  But yeah, that seems pretty ridiculous.  Is it on late at night?  Because I can't imagine that kind of nonsense happening in prime time.

I only knew about Comet because the wrestling promotion Ring Of Honor announced they were airing there. Actually I have seen some decent older films on it I've seen for the first time. Burn Witch, Burn. The Raven. Pit and the Pendulem. There is definitely some rifftrax fodder on there as well.

I'm just happy to see them airing anywhere on TV again. ANy exposure is good exposure.

Offline Toplar Scarre

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2016, 11:26:11 AM »
This upcoming Sunday, October 16, it's Robot Holocaust from 8 - 10:15 P.M. Eastern, followed by "Manos" The Hands of Fate from 10:15 P.M. - 12:30 A.M. Eastern.

An hour of the cult classic series Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot follows from 12:30 - 1:30 A.M. Eastern.

And I haven't heard of Comet before (is it an offshoot of Syfy, a la Cartoon Network and Boomerang or is it it's own entity?)

Comet TV is a partnership between Sinclair Broadcasting and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer.  That is the main reason why the majority of the programming is television series and movies from M-G-M.  Just remember, you are also getting movies from American International Pictures since M-G-M owns the rights to films from A.I.P., so rejoicing is in order there.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 11:43:31 AM by Toplar Scarre »
Toplar Scarre is a proud backer of the 2017 RiffTrax Live! Kickstarter campaign.

The Toplar Scarre RiffTrax collection count: 385 Riffs and growing.

http://eerielatenight.com: for the best horror hosts, classic B horror films and live chat with horror hosts and horror movie fans.

Offline ManUnderMask

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 138
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2016, 10:11:53 AM »
And thanks to me looking for MST3K, I discovered that, due to being owned by Sinclair, Ring of Honor wrestling is shown every Thursday morning at 1 am.

So once again MST3K is on a sci fi oriented network and that also shows pro wrestling.
I survived the San Diego Comic Con 2010 Hall H stabbing.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2951
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2016, 10:25:41 AM »
It's showing I should be getting Comet TV on 2 different digital antenna channels but I can't get it it on either one for some reason :'(

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2016, 11:46:20 AM »
Some of those digital antenna stations are really finicky. I don't get Retro TV unless the weather's clear and the Antennas are pointed in exactly the right directions.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2951
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2016, 12:44:39 PM »
It looks like one station is in Hickory, NC (over 77 miles to the north) and Columbia, SC (about 70 miles to the south) so I guess they're out of range of my antenna :'(

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 58
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2017, 08:11:51 PM »
Just figured out I get Comet TV. While they're not going to show anything I don't already have via DVD, I've been watching a lot of episodes via Pluto TV lately as I like being somewhat surprised at what episode is coming next and the commercial breaks are sometimes nice. Will likely start watching Comet TV on Sunday nights when nothing else is on.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 08:13:29 PM by wihogfan »

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 58
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2017, 08:20:41 PM »
Interesting...you can watch Comet TV online:
http://www.comettv.com/watch-live/

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2017, 10:40:13 PM »
Incidentally, Comet is now the only broadcast home of MST3K. Retro TV dropped it from their lineup at some point.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 699
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2017, 08:32:15 AM »
Did they learn how to move their station ID bug yet? 
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2017, 10:34:00 PM »
*Checks* Nope. Still in the lower right corner. It clears Crow as long as he doesn't lean over, but it's there.