Author Topic: Return to the Sad Cafe  (Read 5138 times)

Offline Lesbunny

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 674
  • I just kinda want to die all the time
Re: Return to the Sad Cafe
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2019, 08:51:24 PM »
My dad is in the hospital for the second time in a week. The first time, he had a bleed in his intestines, and they released him because they couldn't do anything without opening him up and risking him bleeding out.  He seemed ok. Today, he called me and asked me to help him walk the 100 feet from his shop to the house, because he couldn't move without stumbling and falling over. I got him inside, checked his BP(was 92/60), and called my mother. She came home, decided that he needed to go back to the hospital, so we started trying to load him into a car. It wasn't happening, so we called 911. My mom, sister and Aunt went, while I stayed home to take care of the house and the pets and things. The prevailing theory when he left was that he was having a stroke.

It wasn't a stroke. He has a vascular disease that's thinning his lood vessels. Lack of blood flow to his brain because the carotid is too narrow to get it up there, because he keeps bleeding into his gut. He's back in there, they're giving him blood, because they need to get him stable before tomorrow. I doubt they're gonna let him go soon, since he wound up back there so soon after he was discharged.

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 756
  • Define lunch or be disintegrated!
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2019, 09:24:39 AM »
I'm so sorry Lesbunny.  :( . When it comes to my parents... I try to psychologically brace myself for the worst. I know that seems kind of morbid, but I have to try. I'm already seriously fucked up in the head as it is, and the thought of losing them would kill me. Yes, I'd still have a roof over my head and several cats to take care of me...but when my mom and dad are gone someday I'm going to have a very hard time coping when I'm alone.

I have to try and get out more. My friend Kat tells me I need to socialize more. I agree, but it's hard to be around people. I don't exactly have any good hangouts to sit around and chat with people. Every place I could potentially socialize with people are kind of not within walking distance.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5652
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2019, 12:02:59 PM »
Sorry to hear about it Les (and to hear about it so late).  I don't know if I've had anything that intense but I have had my dad, who has MS, crawl to my room in the early morning to knock on my door to tell me to call an ambulance because he couldn't walk.  I imagine it was pretty scary.  I don't know how things are turning out but I hope better.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4271
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2020, 07:12:25 AM »
Tomorrow will be 3 years when I lost my wife to uterine sarcoma cancer and Jan 14 would have been our 19th anniversary..
This morning I just closed our Bank of America business account we opened back in 2003 because I could no longer avoid their $14 monthly maintenance fees. It was a bit of a process for some reason (took nearly 45 minutes to complete) and while sitting there in the same office we opened it in, various memories flashed through my head of times past..
I will say that I'm in a better place these days though the memories of her still persist almost daily but time does heal all. 

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2020, 09:19:44 AM »
I'm glad that you are living your life in a better place right now.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2852
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2020, 04:30:38 PM »
Woman at work who's husband has very advanced dementia can't bring herself to stop feeding him, and now the home care people have said their people will not feed him because he can't really swallow and they can't deal with the issues that might come up if they continue to try.  She says she can get him to swallow so will now be taking mornings and afternoons off to feed him. 

Such an impossible situation.  The hospice nurse that visits said if he was in a nursing home they would have stopped feeding him months ago.

Listening to this has me flashing back to my grandmother when she had Alzheimer's, and also my uncle and mom that died after fighting cancer for years.  So extra depression time here lately.

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 756
  • Define lunch or be disintegrated!
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2020, 07:48:50 PM »
I'm so sorry Marty. :( I wish I knew something more to say than that.

Today my cat Midnight passed away. The poor cat has been very lethargic lately, The last two days she hasn't eaten or drank anything and this morning she was making some horrible noises. She was clearly in a lot of pain. Me and dad took her to the vet to put her down but as we got up there it was clear her pain was getting even worse. She looked like she was trying to cough up her lungs. Broke my heart, and I felt bad that we didn't put the poor cat down sooner. We are still taking care of six cats here, ALL of them strays or born from strays. Next time I see one of our cats in extreme physical pain and there's nothing we can do, I'm going to insist we do something sooner next time.

I want you all to know that I'm okay. I've had to put so many cats down over the years I'm almost desensitized to the pain these days. It's difficult, but I can manage it. Strangely, losing a cat is not a trigger that sends me into a deep, dark emotional episode. Just remember guys, be good to your fur babies. I do agree that we will be judged as a species by how we treat our critters.

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4737
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2020, 01:39:02 PM »
Internet famous pooch Marnie has passed away.

Offline Lesbunny

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2020, 06:20:55 PM »
I think one of my rats has a tumor.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2020, 06:39:53 PM »
Don't know anything about rats, but non-fatal fatty tumors common in dogs- especially retrievers. Most of our dogs have been labrador retriever mixes- all have had tumors as the get older. Had one that tumors were result of lymphoma, which was terrible and fatal. Others have all had fatty tumors which look bad, but usually aren't serious and most don't ever need to be removed- did have one that had fatty tumors that had to be removed, but that was because of where the tumors were and not because of the tumors themselves.

Offline Lesbunny

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2020, 01:21:52 PM »
Just got back from the vet. The masses were getting worse and it was the soonest I could get her in. The vet thinks that she probably has some kind of sarcoma, and probably won't be around for too much longer. A few weeks to a month at the most. She gave me pain medication and an antibiotic in case she starts getting an infection, and to make sure she's still comfortable and living as best she can right up until it's time. I've been crying since the vet told me everything. I know it may seem odd, because she's a rat, but she's so sweet and has such a personality, and seeing her suffer and knowing I'm going to lose her soon is just absolutely breaking my heart. For the record, the vet did say that she was one of the best behaved and sweetest rats she's handled. The vet told me that there were potential options, like surgically removing her leg where most of the masses are, but it's not really practical. A couple of thousand dollars to extend her life for maybe another few months, since she's middle aged and nearing that threshold already.

This hurts so much.

Offline Lesbunny

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2020, 06:50:58 PM »

She's so beautiful. She's been really lethargic the past two days. I have cried every day this week knowing what's going to happen.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2020, 09:44:58 AM »

She's so beautiful. She's been really lethargic the past two days. I have cried every day this week knowing what's going to happen.

She's a very beautiful rat.

Offline Lesbunny

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2020, 08:20:07 AM »
Jadzia has joined the honored dead in Sto'vo'kor. She died fighting until the very end. They had to do do an intracardiac injection because she kept fighting. She died a warriors death, and will be greeted by Kahless himself.

The vet also made a clay impression of her paws, and I'll get it in about a week.