Author Topic: What gravitic things did you learn?  (Read 2089 times)

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 737
  • 5000 deaths and counting
What gravitic things did you learn?
« on: June 11, 2016, 02:44:25 PM »
I learned there's a Chinese space station. Seriously. I actually had no idea they had one until watching this movie. I had to look it up on Wikipedia just to make sure it actually existed.

Also, apparently everyone uses the same orbit. No wonder they're crashing into each other.

Offline CJones

Re: What gravitic things did you learn?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 05:52:06 PM »
Seriously though, this was a cool movie, but the chances that they would get hit by any of that stuff is approximately equal to the chances of a golf ball dropped from an airliner hitting an egg salad sandwich.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 275
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 06:23:21 PM »
Seriously though, this was a cool movie, but the chances that they would get hit by any of that stuff is approximately equal to the chances of a golf ball dropped from an airliner hitting an egg salad sandwich.

Actually, the space debris angle isn't that unrealistic. NASA has been worried for decades about a cascade scenario, like the one shown in the movie, where a spacecraft accident/collision creates debris that destroys another satellite, creating more debris, etc etc., until debris is so prevalent that it becomes impossible to safely put satellites in orbit for hundreds or thousands of years. Earth orbit is a huge volume, but many satellites occupy similar orbits (such as geosynchronous orbit).

Offline Phileaux

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 04:51:00 AM »

As Eegah said - this is a very real concern. The term for a cascading collision scenario is Kessler Syndrome. And this is exactly why so much money (though not nearly enough) is being spent on figuring out how to clean up space. The best solution (IMHO) is using an airborne laser. The goal isn't to "vaporize" space junk - what they do is fire the laser at the leading edge of a piece of space junk. It heats it up and vaporizes some of the junk - the vaporizing material essentially becomes a jet firing forward which decelerates the space junk, dropping it out of orbit.

I have not seen any kind of plan to deal with deorbiting any loose Clooneys or Bullocks.

Offline CJones

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 11:51:39 AM »
Interesting, I stand corrected.

There's an anime that you guys should check out. It's called Planetes (no that's not a typo). It's one of the most realistic portrayals of life in space. And it's all about a team tasked with recovering space debris. And it's an awesome show.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 275
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 03:41:21 AM »
I have not seen any kind of plan to deal with deorbiting any loose Clooneys or Bullocks.
Never mind the Bullocks.

Offline CJones

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 09:54:43 AM »
I learned that Kowalski was absent from Astronaut school the day they were taught the importance of not wasting your thruster fuel just dicking around. That's how you run out of it when you actually need it to avoid plummeting to Earth from from orbit. 

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5713
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 10:59:06 AM »
I learned that Kowalski was absent from Astronaut school the day they were taught the importance of not wasting your thruster fuel just dicking around. That's how you run out of it when you actually need it to avoid plummeting to Earth from from orbit.
I was under the impression that he was supposed to be testing it. That was the reason he was out there so much that he was going to break the record, and why NASA was asking him how it was performing.
I did love MaryJo and Bridget's riffs about him asking for help while he floated in the background, though.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 06:20:02 PM »
How the heck she managed to not get ripped to shreds the second time the shrapnel ripped through everything is amazing.