Author Topic: The... 2016 NFL SEASON!!  (Read 8018 times)

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: The... 2016 NFL SEASON!!
« Reply #135 on: December 24, 2016, 10:17:41 AM »
Got the Falcons @ Panthers game here in Iguala mexico and I'm not liking what I'm seeing so far :grr:

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #136 on: December 24, 2016, 01:11:40 PM »
And the Panthers are done :-[

But the Bills go into overtime :o

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #137 on: December 24, 2016, 01:24:45 PM »
The Browns got their first win against the Chargers ???

And the Jags upset the Titans :o

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #138 on: December 24, 2016, 01:41:00 PM »

But the Bills go into overtime :o
And lose :-[

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #139 on: December 27, 2016, 09:02:11 PM »
Missed this earlier today..
Buffalo Bills fire head coach Rex Ryan

Around The NFL
Published: Dec. 27, 2016 at 11:41 a.m. Updated: Dec. 27, 2016 at 05:19 p.m.

Rex Ryan began his short tenure with the Buffalo Bills by tapping a live microphone at his introductory press conference and asking rhetorically if it was on.

"Because it's getting ready to be on," Ryan said. "And that's the truth."

Less than two seasons later, he was let go. The Bills announced the decision Tuesday along with their decision to fire Ryan's twin brother, Rob, who was serving as the team's assistant head coach/defense. Offensive coordinator Anthony Lynn was named the interim head coach for the final game of the year against the Jets.

Ryan's blustery start should have read like the beginning of a familiar page-turner. Much like his first years with the Jets, Ryan's arrival produced a boon in season ticket sales and expectations. It led to splashy moves on the open market, like the acquisition of star running back LeSean McCoy, and it pitted Ryan as the wily outsider ready to shake up the well-established AFC East.

How did Kim Pegula become a guiding light for the Bills and a powerful force for Buffalo? Michael Silver documents her surreal path from an orphanage to NFL owners' meetings.
How did Kim Pegula become a guiding light for the Bills and a powerful force for Buffalo? Michael Silver documents her surreal path from an orphanage to NFL owners' meetings.
Instead, Ryan won 15 games in two seasons. The Bills (7-8 this season) finished 8-8 in Ryan's only complete season in Buffalo.

"I spoke with Rex earlier today and we mutually agreed that the time to part ways is now," owner Terry Pegula said in a statement. "These decisions are never easy. I want to take this opportunity to thank Rex for all his efforts and wish him all the best moving forward.

"Kim and I and our entire Bills organization share in the same disappointment and frustration as our fans, but we remain committed to our goal of bringing a championship to Western New York."

"Anthony Lynn will serve as our interim head coach to lead us through the Jets game."

Embattled general manager Doug Whaley will lead the search for a new head coach and Lynn, a popular name around coaching circles, will get strong consideration for the job, per NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport. NFL Network's Mike Garafolo also noted that former Giants coach Tom Coughlin, already in consideration for the Jaguars opening, will be "connected" with the Bills gig.

The move by ownership shows just how impatient the Bills have become with mediocrity. Buffalo has not reached the postseason since 1999 and has only finished in second place twice in the Bill Belichick era. While Ryan was a gift to a sleeping fan base de-energized by the Chain Gailey era and suspicious after Doug Marrone opted out of his contract two years ago, he fell into some of the similar pitfalls he encountered with the Jets.

His inability to develop a quarterback -- in this case, former first-round pick EJ Manuel and free agent Tyrod Taylor -- and his trouble with injury plagued star receiver Sammy Watkins negated an immensely talented defense which many saw as the perfect fit for Ryan's aggressive style. Rapoport added that Manuel, not Taylor, is expected to be the starting quarterback in the season finale against the Jets.

This year, the Bills are 15th in points surrendered and 19th in yards given up. Last year, they finished 15th in points surrendered and 19th in yards given up.

Of the immediate questions the firing raises, one will certainly be the future of Taylor.

According to Rapoport, Ryan was a huge proponent of the former Ravens backup. Taylor reached the Pro Bowl in his first season as a full-time starter but failed to produce at the same level in 2016. The Bills can opt out of Taylor's deal this offseason.

The other question is what will become of Ryan.

An extremely loyal coach, Ryan told reporters last year that the Bills would be his final stop.

"This is definitely going to be it," Ryan told USA Today back in 2015. "This is my last stop in coaching, and then when my days are up, I'll turn it over to the younger generation. I'm not going anywhere else."

Should he remove himself from the coaching conversation, the NFL will be losing one of its great personalities. For all that can be said about Ryan as a game manager or developer of talent, there were few coaches as respected behind closed doors. Ryan will leave a trail of player testimonials behind him, including some kind words from some of the game's biggest stars like Ray Lewis and Ed Reed.

Bills defensive end Leger Douzable, who also played with Ryan in New York, went on a Twitter rant against the club and the league's culture of quick firings after the news was announced.

Those in Ryan's corner will note that Whaley might have never adequately stocked the cupboard and was not given enough time to bring in players who fit his abstract, but potent defensive scheme. Ryan faced resistance from established veterans like Mario Williams upon arrival and, based on the Bills' decision to sit Taylor at quarterback, he was not backed in his offensive decisions, either.

That creates a difficult environment for a coach to function in, though Ryan has always prided himself on overcoming those roadblocks. Will he get a chance to prove he can?

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #140 on: December 29, 2016, 01:36:34 PM »
Rumors continue to swirl about this :o
Ron Rivera could be a good fit for Rams' coaching job

NFL.com
Published: Dec. 24, 2016 at 09:01 a.m. Updated: Dec. 24, 2016 at 05:12 p.m.

With a young, talented roster in a star-studded town, the Los Angeles Rams' head coaching job quickly became the hottest gig on the market after the team fired Jeff Fisher.

The list of candidates for the job is already long. The names of several any current coordinators -- from Kyle Shanahan to Josh McDaniels to Vance Joseph -- are twittering their way around the internet in connection with the L.A. opening.

It's not just hot coordinators being linked with the Rams job.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Saturday that one name to watch is Panthers head coach Ron Rivera.

Rivera could join a young team in need of discipline in a city with a large Hispanic population. His arrival would likely be celebrated as a splash hire that could quickly turn the program around.

There are several hurdles to any Rivera-Los Angeles connection: 1) It's not certain Rivera would want to leave Carolina. 2) Coaching trades are complicated (but not impossible). 3) How would Rivera handle the offensive side of the ball? Rapoport noted that veteran offensive coordinator Norv Turner -- living in California nearby and has a close relationship with Rivera -- would be a name to keep an eye on.

Until the job is filled, expect the speculation on the next Rams coach to continue to be far-ranging and include every splashy name possible. The L.A. brass might not settle on a big-name hire, but that won't stop names like Rivera or Sean Payton from being connected to the best job on the market.

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #141 on: January 01, 2017, 10:13:11 AM »
Looks like I got the Cowchips @ Eagles and Patriots @ Dolphins for Week 17 here in Mexico :-\

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #142 on: January 01, 2017, 10:15:25 AM »
Chip Kelly & 49ers GM look to be gone, Kubiac looks to be retiring from the Broncos, and Fox looks to stay put in Chicago..
We'll see what else happens after today :o

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #143 on: January 01, 2017, 11:34:43 AM »
Nice, Sanchez throws 2 interceptions in a row to let the Eagles tie it up before halftime.  When Sanchez was here that's what he was known for, nice to be on the receiving end of them.

So Kelly goes 2 years with the Eagles and can't even get through 1 with the 49s, will any other team be stupid enough to hire him?

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #144 on: January 01, 2017, 01:13:08 PM »
And the Bills get embarrassed in NY and the Panthers blow the extra point to tie the game and go into OT in TB..
Nice way to end the season guys ::)

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #145 on: January 01, 2017, 01:14:27 PM »

So Kelly goes 2 years with the Eagles and can't even get through 1 with the 49s, will any other team be stupid enough to hire him?
Doubt it but then again there's always the Browns :-X

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #146 on: January 03, 2017, 11:28:33 AM »
I haven't been as involved with the NFL this year as I've been in the past, but I still find it funny that despite their best efforts to blow it, the Lions still ended up in the playoffs.

Nothing says team pride like the chants of "Yay!  Default, default!"  ;D
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #147 on: January 08, 2017, 07:46:29 PM »
Missed most of the playoff games this weekend taking care of my wife in the cancer hospital.
Looks like all the home teams won this weekend :o

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
  • Against the ninjmmmppphhhh
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #148 on: January 15, 2017, 06:37:41 PM »
Woo! Packers! Packers won one of the two NFL Divisional Playoff games!

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #149 on: January 15, 2017, 08:43:54 PM »
I see the defensive coordinator from my Panthers is now the new head coach for my Buffalo Bills :o
I support this move 8)