login

Author Topic: Rifftrax Kickstarter 2016: MST3K Reunion, Time Chasers Live  (Read 22165 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2166
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Pay attention. This one's huge!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rifftrax/rifftrax-live-2016-mst3k-reunion-time-chasers-live

Quote from: kickstarter
Thanks to the generosity of the Kickstarter community, RiffTrax has funded three hugely successful Kickstarter campaigns. In recent years, you've helped us riff some of the best cheesy movies of all time live on stage -- including STARSHIP TROOPERS, GODZILLA, and THE ROOM -- and broadcast the resulting hilarity to 700+ theaters across North America.

Those shows were big hits, and with your help this year we think we could top them ALL with something even bigger for what will be our 20th RiffTrax Live Event: an MST3K Reunion Live Show!

Yes, a Mystery Science Theater 3000 reunion broadcast to hundreds of movie theaters all across America! To help celebrate our 10th year at RiffTrax, we're planning an amazing night of riffing and comedy with most of the original MST3K stars, including...

RiffTrax regulars Michael J. Nelson, Kevin Murphy, Bill Corbett!

PLUS confirmed special guest stars:

Trace Beaulieu, Frank Conniff, Mary Jo Pehl and Bridget Nelson!

We've also invited the other veteran cast members as well as the cast of the New MST3K, and we're hopeful they'll join us too. 

If we're successful in this Kickstarter campaign, the MST3K Reunion show will take place on Tuesday, June 28th, 2016 in Minneapolis, MN - the birthplace of Mystery Science Theater 3000!

The base goal for the Kickstarter will also help us fund ANOTHER super-cool event -- a RiffTrax Live show featuring an all-new riff on the best science-fiction film to come out of Vermont, TIME CHASERS! We've already secured the rights to this MST3K classic, and we'll be creating a new widescreen HD transfer of the original movie in partnership with the film's creator, David Giancola. Then we'll riff it for you, LIVE!

More info in the link above...

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2950
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: Rifftrax Kickstarter 2016: MST3K Reunion, Time Chasers Live
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 12:46:49 PM »
WHAAA ???

Like ... WOW!!  :speechless:

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 12:51:58 PM »
Eyeing that $30 package.. Time Chasers Live and Shorts Pkg download.. don't really care for the digital goodies myself :-\
The T-shirt went to the $100 level this time but that's way out of my range these days :-[

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 01:03:16 PM »
Ok I'm a bit confused between the TIME CHASERS LIVE SHOW DOWNLOAD PACKAGE at the $30 level and the RIFFTRAX LIVE: MST3K REUNION show at the $50 level...
Are they not one in the same ???

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 01:06:17 PM »
Yeah, it's a tiny bit confusing.

There are two shows. Time Chasers is the first show in May and just has good ol' Mike, Kevin and Bill. The reunion show is in June and looks to be a collection of shorts. Here's more from the Kickstarter page.

WHAT'S THE REUNION SHOW GOING TO BE LIKE?

The MST3K Reunion Show will be a night to remember:  A cavalcade of goofy educational short films like the ones often riffed on the show, and that we continue to riff over at RiffTrax. Our old colleagues from MST3K will each join us on stage to joke around and riff a short or two. We may not have the puppets or costumes, but we will have a blast.

There'll be a ton of funny stuff which we're still figuring out, but we know for sure you'll get a night of amazing and hilarious shorts riffed of course by our own - Mike, Kevin and Bill. Bridget and Mary Jo, who have been a big hit on RiffTrax, will team up; and Frank and Trace will dazzle you with their awesome comedic talents.  We're still working to get other principal cast members of MST3K, old and new, to join us. As you know, they've got a lot on their plate these days, but keep an eye out for updates -- you never know who'll show up!

Then, prepare yourselves for the grand finale: a SUPER RIFF-A-PALOOZA with all the guests at once!
The whole thing will be filmed live in front of a big crowd at the State Theater in downtown Minneapolis, and simulcast to 700+ theaters all across the U.S. (and, if possible, Canada!). Then MST3K fans all across North America will meet up in theaters to enjoy the show!

We'll also sponsor a cosplay contest, with winners to be announced live during the show that very night!!

« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 01:13:41 PM by Pak-Man »

Offline Locuststakethesky

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 121
  • Just because you CAN edit doesn't mean you should.
    • Book of Face
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 01:09:35 PM »
It reads to me like the MST3k Reunion Show is going to be akin to the Night of the Shorts live shows, only with MST3k alum instead of other (non-MST) guests.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 01:11:09 PM »
So by my count we only really need Joel and J. Elvis to have a complete reunion. It kind of sounds like they invited the new cast, too, so that could be interesting.

If I were Joel (And I'm not), I'd sign up, bring the new crew along, and take the chance to give everyone a preview of what the new MST3K could have to offer. Cross-Promotion and Synergy and Business talk!

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 01:16:05 PM »
Yeah, it's a tiny bit confusing.

There are two shows. Time Chasers is the first show in May and just has good ol' Mike, Kevin and Bill. The reunion show is in June and looks to be a collection of shorts.
Ok that's where i was getting confused.. There's 2 separate shows :o
I'll keep that in mind then cause downloads of the shows is what I'm most interested in 8)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 01:16:52 PM »
So by my count we only really need Joel and J. Elvis to have a complete reunion. It kind of sounds like they invited the new cast, too, so that could be interesting.

If I were Joel (And I'm not), I'd sign up, bring the new crew along, and take the chance to give everyone a preview of what the new MST3K could have to offer. Cross-Promotion and Synergy and Business talk!
I agree with this 8)

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Book of Face
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 01:31:13 PM »

Originally, the new MST3k was supposed to be filming in June/July, but with that pushed back to August/September it MIGHT be a possibility to get Joel and/or the new cast.  But I'm sure Joel will be busy as hell on the new show so I'm not holding my breath. 

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 01:34:52 PM »
OK, I pledged at the $50 level for the 2 download shows :highfive:
Went ahead and pledged now while it's still tax season and I have a little extra on hand to spare at the moment :o

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 961
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 01:42:08 PM »

Paul's missing as well. (And Jim Mallon, but who knows how relations are with him these days?)

And Jonah "I'm the new host" Ray publicly backed it on Twitter, so I'm guessing he's game for it.

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Book of Face
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 01:46:45 PM »
Curious.  It doesn't say where Time Chasers is going to be broadcast from.  The Belcourt in Nashville where they do the majority of the broadcasts is closed for renovations until some time in the summer.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 961
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 01:50:14 PM »
Say, I'm going to ask this here since some of the staff might spot it. Who exactly is in charge of the projects that Rifftrax backs on KS? I clicked on it on a lark and other projects backed are a bit eclectic. Some I understand (stuff Rifftrax folks have been in, film stuff, stuff related to things riffed), but who on staff is backing the "bicycle that can move at road speeds" or "the easy way to ferment your foods"?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4953
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 01:50:30 PM »
Oh wow, this is cool! I wish they were reriffing something that wasn't a classic episode, but I'm sure it will be good. But the reunion thing is awesome, and I am actually going to back this one.