login

Author Topic: AV Club's Best Films of 2018  (Read 552 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2618
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
AV Club's Best Films of 2018
« on: December 19, 2018, 01:44:38 PM »
https://film.avclub.com/the-best-films-of-2018-1831159568

I've only seen 3 of these movies, and one was my least favourite movie of 2018 (Isle of Dogs)

I've only seen 12/13 films released this year though, unfortunately. So I'll rank them here. If I saw more films, I'm sure several would likely have fallen off the list, but I only saw one film I didn't like this year, so that ain't bad.

1 Black Panther
2 The Other Side of the Wind
3 Avengers: Infinity War
4 Annihilation
5 The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
6 Antman and the Wasp
7 Sorry to Bother You
8 A Quiet Place
9 The Cloverfield Paradox
10 Game Night

11 A Futile and Stupid Gesture

12 Isle of Dogs

Special mention: Nanette (Letterboxd calls it a film I saw this year. Loved it, but don't really feel like I can rank it against other films)
FINE

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3142
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: AV Club's Best Films of 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 03:04:37 PM »
Didn't like Isle of Dogs? That one charmed my pants off (But I'm a sucker for stop-motion).

Anyway, that's the only one I've seen this year from that list. I've seen a LOT of movies. It's been insane. Here's my attempt to rank what I've seen:

Avengers: Infinity War
Solo: A Star Wars Story
Deadpool 2
Incredibles 2
Antman and the Wasp
Black Panther
Isle of Dogs
Teen Titans Go!: To the Movies
Aquaman
Venom
The Grinch
Pacific Rim: Uprising

Still going to see:
Bumblebee
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 03:37:29 PM »
Didn't like Isle of Dogs? That one charmed my pants off (But I'm a sucker for stop-motion).

I tend to love Wes Anderson, but I found this to be racist, boring and ugly to look at (despite enjoying the look of Fantastic Mr Fox). It was like a bad parody of an Anderson film, IMO.

Found it a real chore to sit through, and wouldn't have done if I wasn't watching it at one of our movie club screenings. (The movie fell just as flat for the group)
FINE

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1518
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 07:04:37 AM »
I have also only seen a handful of new films this year, but this would be my order so far:

1. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
2. Shirkers
3. Annihilation
4. Sorry to Bother You
5. BlacKKKlansman
6. Isle of Dogs
7. Hereditary

Kind of a weak year for movies. I really enjoyed TBOBS, and thought it was excellent storytelling. The rest were good, but not fantastic. Hereditary wouldn’t have made it on the list in other years, but I didn’t see that many new movies.

As for other mentions, I would have put The Death of Stalin as number 2 on this list, but according to Letterboxed it’s a 2017 film, even though I saw it in theaters in January.  And Black Panther earns a mention as being a recent superhero film that I didn’t entirely hate.

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 243
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 11:47:02 PM »
I've 34 films on my top list (for movies I ranked 3.5 or higher. There's several critical darlings I thought were stinkburgers) and 66 in my 2018 watchlist... so yeah, I've got a long way to go before my top 10 is anything near to definitive.

But here's 10 from what I've seen. (Oh, and I go by wide/gen. public release date when I can, not test screenings or festival, critics only, film school or any other exhibition showings. Letterboxd might say some of these are 2017 releases but they are 2018 by my criteron)

1. Leave No Trace (Directed by Debra Granik)
2. The Rider (Directed by Chloé Zhao)
3. The Endless (Directed by Aaron Moorhead and Justin Benson)
4. The Other Side of the Wind (Directed by Orson Welles)
5. Eighth Grade (Directed by Bo Burnham)
6. Roma (Directed by Alfonso Cuarón)
7. Tully (Directed by Jason Reitman)
8. Annihilation (Directed by Alex Garland)
9. Unsane (Directed by Steven Soderbergh)
10. Sweet Country (Directed by Warwick Thornton)

Deadpool 2 is at #11, Buster Scruggs is at #15
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 07:19:36 AM by George-2.0 »

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 255
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 10:37:28 AM »
I saw a lot of movies in 2018, but it would really would be easier for me to make a list of the worst movies of 2018 movies than the best. Not sure there were 10 that I thought were better than mediocre at best (saw a lot of good movies in 2018, just not many good movies that came out in 2018).

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 03:47:35 PM »
I just saw into Into the Spider-Verse, and that would take the top spot on my list for movies from last year now. Didn't think it could live up to the hype, but it really did.
FINE

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 08:34:47 PM »
I enjoyed A Stupid and Futile Gesture. I had NO idea who Doug Kenny was, I knew about National Lampoon because when I was a teenager I found a bunch old issues that presumably belonged to a couple of my uncles. I doubt they were Grandma's. It would warmly amuse me to imagine they were Grandpa's.

And that helped with the experience of the movie. It had a lot of really glaring biopic cliches, but it was funny enough to make up for it. The third act gets a bit heavy, but the first two acts are really fun.

I wish I'd seen more of these that weren't blockbusters, and that makes me feel like such a goddamn rube! Almost every indie or smaller studio film I've ever seen and really liked has always already been out for a couple years. I don't know where people follow these kinda movies, but I clearly don't know about it.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 243
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 02:33:19 AM »
I didn't care much for a Futile and Stupid Gesture, I preferred the doc that covered the same material, "Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead"

I did however enjoy the Spider-Verse flick. Saw it tonight - slot it at the 6th position on my list.

It was cool to see Spider-Gwen on screen. And I was real happy over one small costume change - dropping her clunky 'shower shoe/clogs' type footwear (which are supposed to be chucks, but don't look like them), to ballerina slippers.

I also liked how the art styles fit each character (Anime for Peni for example)

« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 02:38:14 AM by George-2.0 »

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3142
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 10:30:51 AM »
Time to update my ranking:

Avengers: Infinity War
Solo: A Star Wars Story
Deadpool 2
Incredibles 2