login

Author Topic: Well, TRANSFORMERS 5 is happening  (Read 735 times)

Ben

Well, TRANSFORMERS 5 is happening
« on: January 05, 2016, 08:11:20 AM »
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/transformers-5-michael-bay-director-1201671793/

For one reason or another, I've never been able to work up the elemental rage most nerds seem to harbor for this franchise. They could always...you know, not see it.

Speaking strictly as a "Transformers" nerd, I'm hoping to see Unicron rear his horned head this time.

Russell AKA Soguru

Re: Well, TRANSFORMERS 5 is happening
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 09:18:49 AM »
No way in hell I'm seeing Transformers 5.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5682
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 09:21:08 AM »

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 10:00:53 AM »
How much more money could he need? Oh well, one of the many movies being made I won't see but sadly will have to deal with people pointlessly nerd raging about
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3155
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 10:10:08 AM »
Well I want 'em to keep trying until they get it right, but I wish Bay would step down like he said he wanted to after 3. He wasn't THAT bad of a match for Transformers and 2 of the 4 movies are pretty watchable at times, but I'm ready for someone else's take.

TF4 exceeded my tolerance levels for Bay-style action scenes involving giant robots. By the time we get Optimus Prime riding a robotic T-Rex into battle, which should be an INCREDIBLY awesome moment, I'm left thinking, "Well I KNOW this is awesome, but I don't have it left in me to get worked up anymore. I'm bored with awesome, now."

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 10:14:08 AM »
The worst part about all of this is that the people who love these movies and make them so profitable would love them just as much if they were made by a better director. If all you want is pulse pounding action scenes of robots fighting, you'd still get that with a better director who had the robot designs not over complicated, fight scenes well choreographed so you can tell what's going on and where they are, and actually starred the robots instead of annoying humans.

Russell AKA Soguru

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 10:58:32 AM »
Do you have any idea how much I would love to see a Transformers movie made by Brad Bird?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 12:29:21 PM »
Do you have any idea how much I would love to see a Transformers movie made by Brad Bird?
Hell yeah! Or Joe Dante! Really most A List directors would have been better than Bay. Especially back (not that long ago) when they were starting on the first one, before Bay's success inspired others to copy him. The chances of hiring a different director and getting an Ang Lee's HULK type situation of overthought boredom is extremely unlikely.
And for some reason we have Steven Spielberg of all people to thank for this.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 12:33:55 PM »
I have more or less been dragged to all four movies in the theater because I have friends that are way more interested in these than I am.  What's funny is for 4, my friend thought it was the worst one of them because it was overlong and not very interesting.  I actually thought it was the best of the 4 (though I use 'best' as a relative term) because Mark Wahlberg was a much welcome replacement to Shia LaBeouf (and his parents; I like the actors themselves, just not in this), and I liked the bounty hunter spaceship adding a touch of something new to the proceedings.  It's amazing how not having to hear characters in a Transformers movie talking about masturbation and pot brownies elevated it substantially for me.  But what's weird is I decry the high school jokes, but wish these were much more colorful and fun movies.  Transformers can appeal to adults and kids, but come on, lighten up on the grim and world-ending darkness.  Bumblebee quoting things with his radio and Mark Wahlberg opening a beer on somebody's car window should not be the only lighthearted moments in a giant robot movie.

At least when it comes to Michael Bay and childhood antics, it looks like the Ninja Turtles movies are moving in the right direction.  Besides its more cartoonish feel, it's the first time I've ever seen Tyler Perry in something and gone, "Well, this ought to be interesting." ;)  But as we know, first impressions on this stuff can be deceptive.  Maybe if that does well (and proves to be at least slightly fun), we'll see a Transformers that's a lot more appealing across the board.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 12:43:46 PM »
I have been morbidly curious about Transformers 4, because people (who also hated the others) have said it is marginally the best of them. But since making the mistake of seeing the first one in the theater, I have waited for the Rifftrax for all the others.  I don't blame them for not wanting to slog through yet another 2.5 hours of the same robots fighting, though.

And in that article, the part that has me the most concerned is that Akiva Goldsman is in charge of the writing room. OH. DEAR. GOD.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 01:04:31 PM »
Only in Hollywood is the man who wrote Batman & Robin not only allowed to work again, but win an Academy Award...and to win AFTER Batman & Robin came out.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3155
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 01:17:00 PM »
I'm hard on Transformers 4, but it might actually be the best.

Transformers 4 is like being in Vegas and having a pretty decent meal at the food court, then getting dragged by your friends to an all you can eat buffet, where everything looks delicious, but you're really just FULL and can't possibly have any more...

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4416
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 01:18:12 PM »
I kinda wish they'd  bring in better writers.  The various shows have had well-written episodes.