login

Author Topic: C.S. Lewis  (Read 4594 times)

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
Re: C.S. Lewis
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2007, 06:06:31 PM »
cool write up for silent planet.

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 03:42:36 PM »

Perelandra was an engaging read in a similar vein. It has a good creative concept of paradise, and I like the non-linear texture to the world and the creatures and morality that other authors lack (Normally it's only the bad guys/demons that are interesting.) I did find some aspects of it philosophically off-putting and disturbing, particularly the protagonist having to murder a debate opponent for the good of perelandra rather than using reasoned argument.

I see your point. But I think Lewis makes the case that his opponent, as a human being, no longer existed. He had been demon-possessed to such an extent that every bit of the actual person had been destroyed and there was only the demon left. So the demon was what Ransom killed.
"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal." C. S. Lewis

Bring back Bridget!

Offline MainMor

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2007, 12:51:11 PM »
I will toss my hands up. I am a huge fan of CS Lewis.

His works have interested me.

I have read:

Mere Christianity
The Screwtape Letters
The Problem of Pain

It has been many years since I have read them... I should break them open again.

• Compsognathus
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2007, 11:22:48 AM »
i liked what i read of problem with pain but never finished it.  i probably will when i go back

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2007, 11:27:10 AM »
I've read all the books in the Narnia series, which I must've been younger because I didn't pick up on the Christianity over-tones, I just liked them for the adventure and mythology.  I really liked the silly BBC tv movies they made of them, as well
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

• Compsognathus
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2007, 11:34:34 AM »
really liked the silly BBC tv movies they made of them, as well

oh yes i loved those.  i also liked how in the battle sequences they mixed the live action with animation.  pure classic

Offline Hebs

• Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2007, 11:39:50 AM »
really liked the silly BBC tv movies they made of them, as well

oh yes i loved those.  i also liked how in the battle sequences they mixed the live action with animation.  pure classic

The effects are awesome - they were so state-of the art at the time, all the pixelated transformation scenes and stuff - but maybe that's why I love "OverDrawn at the Memory Bank" - it reminds me of those tv movies.
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

• Compsognathus
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2007, 11:46:10 AM »
heh i never made that comparison lol

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2007, 02:46:46 PM »
I haven't finished or really put a dent in Mere Christianity but I have been enjoying Screwtape letters.  I'm not a Christian but I like to know the enemy (no, I'm just kidding. I just enjoy reading about religion of all kinds).

Sarc told me I needed to read Mere and maybe I need to get into it but it doesn't seem to me any different from any other Christian literature I've read.  Is the first part just a setup for the goodness to come?

There are very subtle details in Mere Christianity that most Christians identify with but prior to reading the book, had no real idea of how to explain it understandably. For example, Lewis slowly starts to believe in a Creator but not in the Christ/Son person of Jesus. And when he finally comes to believe in the Savior, it was like realizing he was awake after a long sleep. And the way he describes the realization is pretty funny - he didn't believe that Jesus is the Son of God when he left his home, and upon arriving at the zoo he /did/ believe it =P
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2007, 07:35:18 PM »
J, I'm not sure, but I think you may be thinking of Surprised by Joy. That's the one where he tells his conversion story, I believe.

Although I guess Mere Christianity does do the same sort of slow build, in a way.
"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal." C. S. Lewis

Bring back Bridget!

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2007, 09:03:08 PM »
Whoops! You're right! Wrong piece of work *blush*

Okay - Mere Christianity is still good stuff tho lol
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

• Compsognathus
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2007, 10:56:08 PM »
anh he says the same thing in mere christianity its in one of the last chapters.  i very recently read it and remember that line clearly.  i havent read the secret of joy yet so it must at least be in mere christianity if not both.  he doesnt go too deep into his testimony though

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2007, 12:07:31 AM »
ah -- no wonder I was all confused =P
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2007, 09:39:53 AM »
Me too. :) Thanks for clarifying that, sarcasm.

Bring back Bridget!

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2007, 11:10:27 PM »
Mere Christianity was a textbook of mine in college, one of the few I didn't sell back.  I think every Christian should read it.  As I mentioned in another thread, I think Mike has read a lot of him.

I've read the Narnia books, but that was probably over 10 years ago. I remember Mere Christianity being a great book, but it's been a couple years, so maybe I should read through it again. I do remember thinking that he was way ahead of his time when reading it . . . or perhaps he was just more honest in his beliefs than most. I have Out of the Silent Planet, but haven't gotten to reading the other two. I've always meant to read more of his stuff like Screwtape Letters and his other nonfiction works.