Author Topic: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert  (Read 1899 times)

Online Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1389
The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
« on: September 07, 2015, 05:53:26 PM »
It feels like years since the Colbert Report went off the air, but I guess it's only been 8 or 9 months.  In any case, he comes back tomorrow as the host of The Late Show.  I'm very curious to see how much the show will change.  The worst part of the Colbert Report was always the celebrity interviews (the non celebrity interviews were at least interesting), and if they take up a majority of the new show it might keep me from coming back. 

But who knows, maybe he will balance it out nicely with interesting guests.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 05:55:02 PM by Variety of Cells »

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
Re: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 06:30:58 PM »
I can't wait.
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4777
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 06:34:21 PM »
Yeah, all of the stuff he's done leading up to this has been fantastic and hilarious.  Too bad they took down his game "Stephen Colbert's Escape from the Man-Sized Cabinet.  It's hilarious.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6724
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 06:37:54 PM »
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1244
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 10:49:53 PM »
His 'report' on the confederate flag coming down was legitimately brilliant
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 86
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 01:43:34 AM »
Well, I think he'll settle into this show quite nicely.

The big worry was what was he going to be like when he was just HIM and not the fictional "Stephen Colbert". Well, very much the same, just not pretending to be a conservative pundit. Everything that makes him so likable and funny still came through, and it was almost the exact same kind of humor. His set even looks a lot like a more expensive version of his old set, it's like this crazy cathedral to himself, it looks really cool.

Some of the more cynical might say he was afraid to change his persona too much, but I think what it revealed is how much of himself he really DID put into the character that he played.

Or as he put it "I used to play a narcissistic right-wing pundit. Now I'm just narcissistic."
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3498
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 08:58:31 AM »
It was too much like a regular talk show.  The talk show is such a tired format, and I was really hoping he would at least shake it up a bit.  His hands are probably tied by CBS.  I love Stephen, but I can't see myself watching this every night.

By the way, I watched it live.  How do people watch TV like that?  I only watch live TV twice a year for the Oscars and the Superbowl....oh, and this year's Emmy's written by the Comedy Bang Bang writing team (yay!)

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1244
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 09:14:44 AM »
Much like Conan he seems sadly stuck to the 'format', sadly I think we're a looooooooong way from Fergy again for a loooooooooooong time.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3498
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 10:05:42 AM »
Comedy Bang Bang is the best "talk show" on TV.

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 10:07:35 AM »
He seemed really uncomfortable during the monologue, but once he got behind the desk it was classic Colbert. The guests were ok. It will be a nice addition to my morning "watching tv from the night before" routine.

Offline MightyBombJack

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 171
  • Your weapons will have no effect on me
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 05:55:56 PM »
I generally liked the parts I saw, but I don't disagree too much with this review; of course it probably take a little while for Colbert to really hit his stride doing this (perhaps not unlike on The Colbert Report, which I was a little meh on at first until it slowly grew on me):

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/the-colbert-rapport

Of course, if you're looking for something currently on reminiscent of The Colbert Report, I would really recommend Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, who has managed a really good balance between funny and angry, I think. I'm not a regular viewer, and I don't really like the panel discussion segments, but The Nightly Show is worth checking out too.

Online Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1389
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 07:32:51 PM »
I agree with most things said here so far.  He does seem stuck to the format.  But I found the interviews awfully boring.  I'll probably be skipping most of them, as I feared. 

But, as MIghtyBombJack mentioned, I wasn't super thrilled with the colbert report right away either.  Took them a little while to catch their stride.  So, we'll see what happens.  Some of the bits were funny, they were all just much more safe, without a clear subversive undertone that made the old show so smart.

Offline anais.butterfly

• Monkey Brains!
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 06:16:49 AM »
Day 2: He had two classic Colbert-y segments. I greatly enjoyed both.

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 86
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 09:33:41 PM »
Well, Toby Keith just took to the stage, so that's my cue to tune out for the night, but otherwise it was another really solid show.

His interview with Joe Biden was outstanding.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?