Author Topic: Remaining un-DVD'd MST3Ks & Exclusive Shout! Bonus Discs  (Read 17842 times)

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
Remaining un-DVD'd MST3Ks & Exclusive Shout! Bonus Discs
« on: July 30, 2015, 06:55:56 PM »
Many years back, when the DVDs first started being released by Rhino, I'd heard that there were some we'd never see because the creators/producers of the films were so enraged by receiving the MST3K treatment.  [No clue at this point what the source of that comment was.  It may have been a comment in the now OOP Episode Guide.  It may, however, have been hyperbole.]  However I never heard which films that included.

This is a list of all films (and some extras/specials) that have not yet been released on the professional DVDs [Rhino, SHOUT!].  I updated the assessment of 'likelihood of release' in this first post with Mr.Torso's input (see the post further down this page), and this In-depth Descriptive List created and researched by Travis Hosey of the legalities involved.

NOTE:  Cinematic Titanic - The Complete Collection is being released in the August place where an MST3K set would normally go.

MST3K Set XXXIX has been announced for November 21, 2017.  It is likely to be the FINAL set of the original set released (at least until potentially some rights pass from the current owners).  According to SHOUT!, the first 1500 people ordering will also receive a bonus disc of the entire 'Poopie!' collection.

It is unknown as yet if the direct SHOUT! purchase bonus disc routine will continue.  My hope is still for the two 'Making of' shows (one each from Comedy Central and Sci-Fi eras).  Since they are, in effect, 'clip shows' the short film segments within them should be considered 'fair use' for licensing purposes.  i.e. they shouldn't need them licensed for clips as short as those are, just like reviews can use clips, and just as they didn't need licensing clearances for the Robot Choice Awards specials and such.  However, that wasn't apparently considered the case with 'MST Scrapbook', so might not be here, either.  Completists gotta' complete, so let's hope, as those are the only major extras still not released!

So, without further ado: we list the next three that will be released, likely to be the final episodes that are coming to official home video, possibly until such time as some of the rights change hands.  As has been the case since starting this, bold-italic/green are the 'coming soon' ones.

"There's a LEGEND 'round these parts..." ;)
red = 'extremely unlikely' to make it to DVD
orange = 'not likely'
black = 'likely' or 'extremely likely'
bold italic green = scheduled for the next set

201  Rocketship X-M
213  Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster

309  The Amazing Colossal Man
311  It Conquered The World - with short: Snow Thrills

416  Firemaidens from Outer Space
418  Attack of the Eye Creatures

601  Girl's Town
623  The Amazing Transparent Man - with short: Days of Our Years

807  Terror From the Year 5000
809  I Was a Teenage Werewolf

905  The Deadly Bees
906  The Space Children - with short: Century 21 Calling
913  Quest of the Delta Knights

1013  Diabolik

Other/Extras:
This is MST3k (CC c.1992)
The Making of MST3K (SFC 1997)
Talk Soup with Tom Servo and Mike
MST Playstation Review show (short)
[InfoClub  -  MST Scrapbook] - According to Mr Torso: "They said a few years ago that due to all the clearances needed it would be impossible to release the Scrapbook in its entirety. On Volume 15 they did 2 bonus features of the stuff they didn't need clearances for."  So those two bits are likely to be as close as we'll get, unless they happen to have clearances for all the bits at the same time, something highly unlikely.

Knowing the difficulties with licensing each individually, it was virtually impossible to believe when the first set of four episodes came out that we'd get this close to a complete, non-off-air-VHS-originated set of them.  And yet, here we are.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 08:58:27 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, read this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: Remaining un-DVD'd MST3Ks: Anyone Know Which Are Never Coming?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 07:02:10 PM »
If you know where to look, you'll find these, even if they're never 'officially' released.. 8)

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 07:37:29 PM »
I don't know which creators complained, but any of the people involved in that list should, as Col. Glen Manning said, "Take a big, steamy gawk" at their own movies.  Each of those movies thoroughly deserved the MST treatment.   ;D   

I'm gonna go watch Golden Girls.  I have a thing for Bea Arthur.
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Online The Lurker

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 07:48:09 PM »
I've mentioned this on another thread, but Rae Dawn Chong loved the MST3K episode on City Limits and never saw the movie until they riffed it.

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 08:05:55 PM »
If you know where to look, you'll find these, even if they're never 'officially' released.. 8)

Oh, I have all of them (I used to tape trade), just wondering about professional releases.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, read this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 08:06:04 PM »
There is an exhaustive list of titles and opinion on the likelihood of release over on the MST3K board:

http://forrestcrow.proboards.com/thread/6297/likelihood-shout-factory-release-list

Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 08:25:35 PM »
There is an exhaustive list of titles and opinion on the likelihood of release over on the MST3K board:

http://forrestcrow.proboards.com/thread/6297/likelihood-shout-factory-release-list

And there really isn't any better answer than that! It's the one I came to post.

It's been quite interesting over the years to see which nevers have come out, and how others have changed one way or another.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 08:39:59 PM »
I happen to have all the DVD sets. But I wonder how many of them have gone out of print already.

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 08:43:13 PM »

Thanks!  :)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And there really isn't any better answer than that! It's the one I came to post.

It's been quite interesting over the years to see which nevers have come out, and how others have changed one way or another.

And thanks, BathTub, for the 'intent to post'. :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 01:10:37 AM by LucasM »

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 09:50:11 PM »

Who would have thought that all the GAMERA flicks would have been released in one box.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 09:55:29 PM »
I happen to have all the DVD sets. But I wonder how many of them have gone out of print already.

From Rhino or Shout?  Technically all the RHINOs are outta print but some places still have stock on some...  For Shout all seem readily available except for XXI (Gamera).

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 07:35:55 AM »
I personally think Shout! is having a LOT more success in negotiations than Rhino did.  I don't know how they do it...maybe it's just the passage of time healing wounds (since MST has been off the air for 16 years and the commentary is now able to be reflected on historically), but Final Sacrifice was one considered incredibly unlikely to make it and it got out there anyway.  I mean, even the Sandy Frank episodes got released, even if the box sets are harder to get.  And War of the Colossal Beast only points out that we may not be long before Colossal Man gets its long overdue official release.

I think it's only a matter of time at this point.  With almost the entirety of the show's run available on disc, it'll be harder and harder for companies to NOT want to jump on the bandwagon and get some royalty kickback for stuff not making any money.  Those movies were usually pretty old to begin with, and they're not getting any younger.

In my mind, as long as Quest for the Delta Knights (Beeftink and Chickenblonk and Porkflunk), Track of the Moonbeast (Don't go back to his place!  FORNICATORS!), and Escape 2000 (Dammit!  He should've left the Bronx!) get released, I'll be happy.

Oh, and Melting Man.  Hotchka!
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 10:17:14 AM »
Especially with the window to make money on DVD rapidly closing.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 02:42:21 PM »
Are there really episodes out there that aren't available due to "hurt feelings"?  All seem like urban legends....  Everyone always mentions Sandy Frank but I remember an interview with Kevin and it wasn't that he wouldn't re-up the license, he just wanted more money and their budget didn't allow it. When Shout got around to those episodes he didn't even have anything to do with it as he no longer had those rights...

All the Susan Hart titles aren't out there because she won't license them to anyone.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 07:06:58 PM »
I did see that Sandy Frank issues were just a rights thing, but I do think that there may have been a few of them that weren't happy.  I could have sworn Colossal Man was pulled so quickly because of anger, but it also had the distinction of being an early release, too.  Final Sacrifice was because they were asking a lot of money and Shout just ended up paying them what they asked...some of them do know they are favorite episodes and willing to play hardball too, I'm sure.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.