Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 11933 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Windows 10
« on: July 29, 2015, 09:02:48 AM »
Anyone got it yet?

If you've reserved a copy it may have been downloading for a while, look for a C:/$Windows.~BT folder. 

My desktop has almost 5GB in there that has downloaded, my laptop only a few hundred megabytes so far.  I want to try it on my laptop first but I may end up trying it on my desktop first if that's the one that goes active first.  You are supposed to have the option of putting it on a USB drive so you can download once and install on multiple computers, but so far I don't see a way to do that.

Edit:  Just went to the windows 10 webpage at Microsoft and there is now a link to download a media creation tool that is supposed to let you create a windows 10 install disk.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 09:27:39 AM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 03:37:44 PM »
Edit:  Just went to the windows 10 webpage at Microsoft and there is now a link to download a media creation tool that is supposed to let you create a windows 10 install disk.

Oh yeah?  That's the route I'm going to go.  But I'm not going to do it until this weekend when I have time to fuck around and install a bunch of drivers and what not.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 04:10:54 PM »
I downloaded the tool and ran it on my desktop, it asks if you want to update the computer or create installation media.  I used create media and it then asked USB or ISO, I did the USB option and am now running what it made on my laptop.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 05:44:15 PM »
I downloaded the tool and ran it on my desktop, it asks if you want to update the computer or create installation media.  I used create media and it then asked USB or ISO, I did the USB option and am now running what it made on my laptop.

Sweet.  You'll have to let me know how it goes.  I'm excited to start using it again.

Oh, and I see that NVIDIA released updated windows 10 drivers today with directx 12 support, which is nice.  A little meaningless until a game comes out that used directx 12, but still nice.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 06:42:57 PM »
On my 2 year old laptop it took about an hour for the update to install.

After about a half hour of messing around with stuff I felt way more comfortable using it vs. after several hours of complete frustration the first time I tried to set up a windows 8 PC.

So still messing around with it but I'll probably update my desktop in a day or 2.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 07:55:12 PM »
The automatic scaling when you switch monitors is fantastic.

I'm able to type this sitting 6 feet away with the laptop plugged into my 46" TV instead of standing right in front of it previously when I would use it this way.

For some reason even though the fingerprint scanner shows up as a biometrics device Windows 10 wouldn't use it by default, so I had to reinstall the HP security software (that software was flagged as something that would interfere with the update and had to be uninstalled first).

Start up and shutdown times are really long so far probably because the hard disk on this laptop is pretty slow, really should upgrade it to an SSD.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 08:42:05 PM »
I'm actually looking forward to this, I am way overdue for a fresh install, my PC is ridiculously slow sometimes, need to blow all the chaff away. My number 1 worry is (always) networking and getting the internet settings correct.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 11:05:24 AM »
I'm hedging my bets.  I'm leaving my desktop as a Windows 7 PC for the time being because it's stable enough, but I was planning on upgrading my laptop away from Windows 8.  Because I don't like Windows 8.  It's weird and scary and makes no sense outside of a touchscreen interface.  But I was also concerned about upgrading immediately in case there are problems, because I use my laptop for way too much to risk it falling apart due to a problematic upgrade or security risks.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 11:29:14 AM »
I'm actually looking forward to this, I am way overdue for a fresh install, my PC is ridiculously slow sometimes, need to blow all the chaff away. My number 1 worry is (always) networking and getting the internet settings correct.

From what I've read if you want to do a clean install they say to do the upgrade first and let it activate to get the new product key, then wipe everything and do a clean install.  Otherwise you may have to pay, but you would think during the install you would have the option to put in your windows 7 or 8 product key.

Seems the automatic scaling isn't quite so automatic, if you switch back and forth between the laptop display and the TV some size changes don't take effect unless you log out and log back in.

Offline d00hickey

• Liked:
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 05:37:13 PM »
I just finished installing it on my rebuilt PC. So far it has been great, just basically an updated Windows 7. It was nice because I was doing a fresh install of Windows 8 and it automatically prompted me to install Windows 10.

Now my only problem is I no longer have the link to all my updated topics on this forum. If anyone has that post it please. Lucas gave it to me initially.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 05:42:00 PM »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 05:45:15 PM »
That one is for all unread posts since your last visit, If you want all unread posts in threads you have posted in it's this one:

http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php?action=unreadreplies;start=0

Offline d00hickey

• Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 05:53:37 PM »
That one is for all unread posts since your last visit, If you want all unread posts in threads you have posted in it's this one:

http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php?action=unreadreplies;start=0

That's the one. Thanks a shit load Marty!

Offline CJones

• Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 03:58:18 PM »
I'm torn. I recently had to do a complete reinstall of Windows 7 (long story short: I fucked up my hardware big time). I did the "Reserve Windows 10" thing, and it's ready to install. But I've got things running pretty well right now. The machine boots up in about a minute, and I have no serious glitches outside of Fallout 3 (which is a known issue).

Can anyone give me a good reason why I, running an FX-8350 CPU and GTX-660 GPU, should switch from Windows 7, which I like, to Windows 10? 

Offline d00hickey

• Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 06:40:50 PM »
I don't know for sure if it's the fact I have a new motherboard or that it's Windows 10. But my boot time is about 20 seconds (or less) and all of the games I've run so far perform significantly better. I used to run Wolfenstien the Old Blood at 60fps on high settings with a few things turned down. Now it runs at 80 fps with everything maxed. The Witcher 3 also picked up about 8-10 fps. The one outlier is Victor Vran which seems to perform a little worse. I haven't installed all the games I intend to download so I will update with any future findings.