login

Author Topic: Gypsy name change?  (Read 179 times)

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
Gypsy name change?
« on: August 04, 2019, 02:12:53 PM »
Saw this exchange on Twitter this morning:

https://twitter.com/joelghodgson/status/1157814311898759168?s=21

In a reply to a post about Gypsy being an offensive name Joel had this to say:

Yes, we were alerted to this sensitivity and we really don't want to offend. For the time being, I'm  fine with using GPC.  More permanent work will take time, so please bare with us. I'm just grateful that our thirty + year comedy show has kept the faux pas to a minimum.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5903
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: Gypsy name change?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 07:04:27 PM »
I saw some of that discussion on Twitter and Facebook too. I get that "gypsy" is a slur, but it's also a name. I thought it was only a slur when referring to a Romani person. There's nothing Romani about Gypsy the robot, not even an accent or anything.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 11:30:11 PM »
I saw some of that discussion on Twitter and Facebook too. I get that "gypsy" is a slur, but it's also a name. I thought it was only a slur when referring to a Romani person. There's nothing Romani about Gypsy the robot, not even an accent or anything.

Is it a name really though? I think it doesn't really exist as a name before Gypsy Rose Lee, which was a stage name for Rose Louise Hovick, and it means 'wanderer' so the name has the same origin as the slur.
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5903
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 08:52:38 AM »

Is it a name really though? I think it doesn't really exist as a name before Gypsy Rose Lee, which was a stage name for Rose Louise Hovick, and it means 'wanderer' so the name has the same origin as the slur.
Gypsy Rose Lee was the one that I thought of, so I figured it was a name. Looking it up now apparently it was a stage name, so she wasn't given it at birth. I don't know if other people have been named that by their parents.