Author Topic: Staying in Rutland, VT, home of "Time Chasers" and "Radical Jack"  (Read 2673 times)

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 278
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
We'll be staying overnight in Rutland, VT, and were thinking that we should find some Time Chasers locations to visit while we are there. However, looking into it, it doesn't sound like much is left except the airport (the grocery store and mall "of the future" are gone). Anyone know of any locations that may still be around?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 01:15:15 PM by eegah »

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
My wife and I were in Rutland, VT on Friday and looked around for some "Time Chasers" and "Radical Jack" locations.

We started downtown at the "Opera House" (it's not an actual opera house; it's a building with various offices, including the Rutland branch of Castleton). We found the halls where Nick and Lisa were chased around, but didn't see any area that could've housed J. K.'s "mezzanine" office. We suspect that that is elsewhere. Here's the door that Nick and Lisa pretended to go through to throw off the bad guys:

Then we went down to the Red Moon Saloon of "Radical Jack" fame. Unfortunately, it is closed, but the signs are still there:

Next, we went to Edgewood Studios. If you look at google street view, you can see that they used to be in a large building. They have since moved to a much smaller office in the same complex (Salvation Army moved into their old location):

Then we checked out Gen-Corp headquarters. It's actually the local power utility (VELCO):

Next, we went down to the Rutland airport. Sure enough, the hangar where all of the "magic" happened is still there. We stuck around and ate dinner at The Hangar Cafe. Treat Williams apparently shows up there often.

Finally, we went over to Castleton State College. Now I can say that "I went to Castleton" and be all snobby.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 768
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
Re: Staying in Rutland, VT, home of "Time Chasers" and "Radical Jack"
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 01:20:18 PM »
Awesome!
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 04:31:35 PM »
Great stuff!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5900
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 04:34:02 PM »
Can you buy genuine Castleton t-shirts there?

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 05:12:31 PM »
Can you buy genuine Castleton t-shirts there?

Unfortunately, we arrived about 15 minutes after the store close. However, they do have an online store (http://www.castletonstore.com). They don't have the exact design, but some are close. The ones at Edgewood Studios appear to be closer, but the text looks green, not black, on the website (http://www.edgewoodstudios.com/edgewoodstudios/STUDIO_STORE.html).

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5900
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 05:49:03 PM »
So...is there a tree there with Blackadder's manhood in it?

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 06:40:42 AM »
I guess the most disappointing thing was not being able to find J. K. Robertson's "office". It really didn't look like it could be in the Opera House; that's just a bunch of narrow halls with offices. I just discovered that the "Howard Bank" mentioned on Wikipedia is now the TD Bank. Unfortunately, we didn't check in there. It's probably either there or somewhere on the Castleton campus. I'm guessing that the "Banner" scenes are what were shot in the WJJR offices.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 527
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 11:35:19 AM »
So...is there a tree there with Blackadder's manhood in it?

LMAO!
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Road_Element

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 51
  • The Names Servo, Tom Servo
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 03:37:50 PM »
You know I might go on my Troll 2 vacation because of this.

Offline oceanso7

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 04:47:23 PM »
I know this thread is a bit old but just in case anyone else wants to use this while in Rutland, you CAN see JK's office with the circus mirror. It's in the opera house in a closed off area but you can peek through windows to see it. Those doors that Nick and Lisa pretend to escape through are actually doors into that office. Look through those window slits to see the mirror and staircase. Looks abandoned inside and the doors were locked when I was there (2019).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 04:49:19 PM by oceanso7 »
Big McLargehuge

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 308
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2019, 08:31:13 AM »
Glad this got bumped. Missed it the first time around.

I thought Castleton was a fake university!

Passed through Rutland many years ago on my way to somewhere a bit, uh, prettier. Hadn't seen Time Chasers yet...

Offline dbsommer

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 65
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2019, 07:01:42 PM »
Actually I knew of Rutland, Vermont long before this not because I ever went to the state, but because both Marvel and DC used it in Halloween storylines since they had a parade dedicated to the comic characters back in the day during Halloween. Usually the writers, artists, and mayors would cameo in the stories, along with Tom Wolfe every now and then.

And that was my useless trivia for the day.