login

Author Topic: LoC: Top 51 Action Movies Countdown! Part 83!  (Read 26637 times)

Online CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1086
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
Re: LoC: Top 51 Action Movies Countdown! Part 83!
« Reply #90 on: December 11, 2014, 03:24:56 PM »
See, if it had been a best movie list, Alien would beat out Aliens, hands-down. But on an action movie list, Aliens has it all over the competition.

My thinking exactly. The original Alien had almost no action in it. Same reason why I didn't include The Thing on my list even though it's one of my favorite movies.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6499
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2014, 08:01:34 PM »
#14 – Predator

56 Points, 5 Lists, #10 CJones

The thing I really loved about Predator is how it practically makes a mockery of the stereotypical Schwarzenegger action movie. It starts out all one liners and blowing people away like they're not even shooting back. And then suddenly shit gets real and it's like the characters suddenly realize they're not in that sort of movie after all.
Predator 1 is basically "what if an alien hunter landed in the middle of a Commando style movie". And Predator 2 is basically "What if an alien hunter landed in the middle of a Lethal Weapon style movie". Which is part of why I like the second one better, because I just like that genre better of the two.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2014, 11:08:49 PM »
#10 – Terminator 2: Judgment Day

67 Points, 5 Lists, #5 Anais.Butterfly
(wait, subway sponsored the movie?)
  Hasta la vista, baby!

Two Terminator robots have traveled from the future to find John Conner, the boy who will become the man who will defeat the Skynet.  One has come to kill him.  One has come to save him.  But the one who has come to save him, a reprogrammed T-800 may have very little chance against an assassin that is impervious to seemingly any attack and can assume a multitude of forms.  To stand a chance, they’ll need to find John Conner’s mother and try to destroy Skynet before it was ever born.

Shit Just Got Real! – Probably the first encounter with the T-1000 where it proves to be immune to pretty much anything that can be thrown at it.

Pure Adrenaline Percentage –70%  As I just said, Cameron is a guy who does action well and certainly made an impact with this one, especially the truck chase.

AAAAAAAAND ACTION!
I wanted to go with a less obvious scene, but you can’t beat iconography.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tMzsDsYtnFc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tMzsDsYtnFc</a>

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2014, 11:51:30 PM »
#9 – Enter the Dragon

84 Points, 6 Lists, #1 George Harrison
  Boards don't hit back.

Lee, a master martial artist, is sent by his Shaolin temple and by the British government to find and stop Han, a master criminal and master martial artist who left the same temple as Lee.  What’s more, he is also employing a thug named Han, who murdered his sister.  To get close to uncover Han’s crimes and avenge his sister, he participates in a martial arts tournament, joined by two American martial artists who also participate: Roper, a losing con artist who can take a punch and Williams, a fighter on the run after beating two racist cops down.  The three soon realize that though the tournament treats them well, to Han, the real show is watching new players die.

Shit Just Got Real! – I don’t want to give too much away, but not all of our heroes walks away from this one.

Pure Adrenaline Percentage –85%  You get a lot of amazing martial arts in this one.  There is, of course, Bruce Lee, but also the awesome fighting of Jim Kelly, who is great.

AAAAAAAAND ACTION!
 <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/usdcpWXPaDY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/usdcpWXPaDY</a>

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1573
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2014, 12:14:31 AM »
See, if it had been a best movie list, Alien would beat out Aliens, hands-down. But on an action movie list, Aliens has it all over the competition.

Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #95 on: December 12, 2014, 04:08:31 AM »
#8 – The Matrix

87 Points, 7 Lists, #1 Relaxing Dragon
  I know kung-fu.

Anderson is an office drone who leads a double life as a successful freelance hacker named Neo.  One day, he’s invited to meet with a man named Neo who tells him that the world is not what it appears and offers to show him.  Neo accepts and discovers that he’s one of countless humans trapped in a giant virtual reality simulation called the Matrix.  The Matrix is under the control of artificial intelligences at war with humanity and Neo might be the only one who can free humanity from their clutches.

Shit Just Got Real! – The team finds out they’ve been betrayed… and are powerless to do anything trapped at the hands of their traitor.

Pure Adrenaline Percentage –85%  Yeah, it lead to a large number of imitators, it’s mix of chop socky, gun play and special effects really changed things in terms of action.  Still looks great after 15 years.

AAAAAAAAND ACTION!
 <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/NEuZgK669zY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/NEuZgK669zY</a>

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #96 on: December 12, 2014, 07:39:59 AM »
#7 – Big Trouble in Little China

90 Points, 5 Lists, #3 Cole Stratton
  Sit tight, hold the fort, keep the home fires burning. And if we're not back by dawn...call the president.

Jack Burton is a trucker who has accidentally gotten involved in something big when he and his friend Wang Chi head to the airport to pick up Wang’s fiancée, only to see her kidnapped by gangsters.  Soon after, Wang’s other friend also becomes a target for the kidnappers.  It seems that in the Chinatown of San Francisco hides a dark secret: a Chinese wizard in search of a green eyed woman to become his bride and both Wang’s fiancée and Gracie fit the bill.  With his army of monsters and super-powered warriors, normal guys like Jack and Wang don’t stand much of a chance… at least not without some magic of their own.

Shit Just Got Real! – When magical supermen start showing up.  Got to love those three storms.

Pure Adrenaline Percentage –75%  Some great martial arts in this one.  It’s funny, I never find Carpenter movies particularly amazing in their action but they more than make up for it in enthusiasm and attitude.

AAAAAAAAND ACTION!
 <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/u4BvCC28SaU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/u4BvCC28SaU</a>

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #97 on: December 12, 2014, 08:27:00 AM »
#6 – Kill Bill

90 Points, 6 Lists, #2 Johnny Unusual
  When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

An assassin who had abandoned her life of killing finds herself and her husband shot up on their wedding day by her old co-workers at the behest of her old boss Bill.  Years later, she wakes up from a coma and immediately decides she wants revenge on her murderers, traveling far and wide to cross the names of her would be assassins off of her list.  However, while each kill brings her closer to revenge, she is also getting closer to the secret that Bill has been keeping from her for so long.

Shit Just Got Real! – The Bride must take on the Crazy 88.  There aren’t actually 88 of them.  They just thought it sounded cool

Pure Adrenaline Percentage –80%  The first half is non-stop action and the second one, while having incredible fights, tones things down a little and focuses more on the characters.  And if you are wondering, some people voted for Kill Bill and others voted for just part 1, so I consolidated them.  Let it be known that people generally, as an action movie at least, prefer the first half.

AAAAAAAAND ACTION!
 <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/a3aFv8IQb4s" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/a3aFv8IQb4s</a>

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1573
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #98 on: December 12, 2014, 09:29:12 AM »
YAY JACK BURTON!
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #99 on: December 12, 2014, 10:25:03 AM »
Ugh. I knew Kill Bill would be on this list, but I was hoping it wouldn't be this high. I hate Tarentino.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2014, 10:45:19 AM »
#14 – Predator

My favorite Arnie movie. Iconic in all the right ways, and one that knows not to go too far down the Trashy or the Sci-Fi path that might take away from the burly, burly action (I caught this in a theater a few years back, where a cheer went up when Dutch and Dillion have their first handshake/arm wrestle). I like what CJones said about this (though I wouldn't go so far as to call it a mockery, unless we're making a direct comparison to Commando), that's actually a really great way to look at things.

#12 – The Road Warrior

This one's about as close to pure, adrenaline-soaked action as one can get. It's got just the right level of world-building, of character development and exposition, and it frames it all so well in that sun-soaked, leather-heavy apocalypse that would become the precursor for so much in pop culture. And then there's the stunts, mostly car-related, which continue to defy reality in how utterly spectacular they are. Seriously, some of them are well into "how in the hay did they do that without killing everyone?" territory, and I love it. There's something of a common wisdom that Action is the one genre that just gets better and better as time goes by, thanks to the upgrades in technology. This is a case where that isn't the case, since I've yet to see a car chase (before or since) top the final one here (although the next Mad Max movie coming out next year might change things).

#10 – Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Some days, for no reason in particular, I find myself feeling blue. Just a bit down, just a bit out, and generally in a sort of funk.

Then I remember the time James Cameron had a helicopter flown under an underpass while chasing a SWAT van, and I feel better again.

#9 – Enter the Dragon

It's something of an interesting experience watching this movie in the modern era. Compared to our current crop of martial arts movies (or even the works of Jackie Chan from back in the early 90s/late 80s), this seems almost amateur by comparison. That 70s camera work doesn't seem to capture the energy of the action like we do now, and it all might almost feel stilted or something.

And yet, not only does this endure, it's treated as the classic it deserves to be. Pretty much all thanks to Bruce Lee, who does so much with so little and who still looks and moves like he could (and probably would) kick the ass of any action star on the market today. His speed, his form, and his general charisma just hold everything together. Not to shortchange everyone else, of course, since it's ultimately  a great ensemble that makes it all work (love Jim Kelly in this, and not just because of his dead-on delivery ofg one of my all-time favorite lines, "Man, you come right out of a comic book.")

#8 – The Matrix

87 Points, 7 Lists, #1 Relaxing Dragon

Glad to see this one so high, even if I tipped the scales a bit by giving it my top spot. I always worry that after so many years of imitators, knock-offs, and rip-offs, after two fandom-testing sequels (which I like!), and a seemingly endless barrage of nonsensical Keanu-mockery, people might forget just how much of a stunning masterpiece this movie is. It's a mind-meldingly perfect blend of story concepts, broad ideas, iconic characters and moments, and action trendsetting. Even after nearly two-decades of people trying to copy it, its fight scenes still come off as fresh and innovative (helped all the more now that Bullet Time has, at long last, fallen out of fashion again, so this movie seems all the more unique all of a sudden), and its themes both heady and remarkably easy to digest. It's super entertaining to watch and still makes you think (while still being the bane of college entry-level philosophy professors everywhere), and it's one of my all-time favorite movies, for sure. In fact, I think I'll give the whole trilogy a watch this weekend, I'm a bit overdue (and believe me, the latter two work much better when you do them all in a row).

#6 – Kill Bill

I may have actually forgotten to include this one, so I'm glad it got so high anyway. It's the usual batch of Tarantino style and pulp (which is a good thing, because his style is aces), and the cartoonishly over-the-top fight scene is just as crazy as it needs to be and then some. The only downside of it is that it's such a showstopper, people sometimes forget the rest of the movie, particularly the opening fight that destroys the small suburban house. I'm the sort who somewhat prefers Part II's more talky, somewhat relaxed atmosphere (the trailer fight aside), but this is still a great movie with a kickass batch of action. Also, it helped really propel Bruce Lee's Game of Death outfit into pop culture, which is a good thing, particularly since it somehow hasn't quite become overplayed yet.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2014, 05:24:58 PM »
#5 – Hot Fuzz

96 Points, 6 lists, #4 Relaxing Dragon
  I won't argue that it was a no-holds-barred adrenaline fuelled thrill-ride, but there's no way that you could perpetrate that amount of carnage and mayhem and not incur a considerable amount of paperwork.

Nicholas Angel is the best cop in London.  In fact, he’s a little too good.  When the other police feel that Angel is making them look bad, they reassign him to the sleepy town of Sandford, partnered with an eager but naive manchild who quickly begins to look to Angel as a role model.  As the two form a friendship, Angel starts looking into a series of deaths that are labelled as suicide despite the fact that they tend to look more and more suspicious.  Can London’s greatest cop unearth the secret that hides in the town of Sandford.

Shit Just Got Real! – When the cause of the deaths are finally revealed, the movie takes a pretty sensational turn.

Pure Adrenaline Percentage –85%  The film doesn’t really become an action movie until the last act.  However, you could be forgiven for forgetting that as the editing is so kinetic that the whole film feels incredibly lively and when the action finally happens, it is both sensational and relentless.

AAAAAAAAND ACTION!
 <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/m6TYFLevmAc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/m6TYFLevmAc</a>

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #102 on: December 12, 2014, 06:03:20 PM »
#5 – Hot Fuzz

Hell fucking YEAH!

I love everything about this movie. And the fact it's sooooo much better of a movie than the ones it keeps name dropping is just perfect.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #103 on: December 12, 2014, 07:02:53 PM »
Yeah, I keep arguing with a friend that while I like Shaun of the Dead, this is the superior film.  Not only because of it's great comedy and action, but it's more clever, it has a big cast yet it utilizes all of them without it slowing down the film, the characters and plot are more engaging, there are more surprises, it is shockingly more gory (though I think it is a cool choice that while our heroes dispatch heroes in nasty ways, they aren't killers), and it also takes a page from the good Wicker Man movie in a unique and clever way.  Also, Timothy Dalton and Jim Broadbent are both hilarious and all-around awesome in this one.  I mean, I like Shaun of the Dead but so fair this is Wright's masterpiece.

#12 – The Road Warrior

This one's about as close to pure, adrenaline-soaked action as one can get. It's got just the right level of world-building, of character development and exposition, and it frames it all so well in that sun-soaked, leather-heavy apocalypse that would become the precursor for so much in pop culture. And then there's the stunts, mostly car-related, which continue to defy reality in how utterly spectacular they are. Seriously, some of them are well into "how in the hay did they do that without killing everyone?" territory, and I love it. There's something of a common wisdom that Action is the one genre that just gets better and better as time goes by, thanks to the upgrades in technology. This is a case where that isn't the case, since I've yet to see a car chase (before or since) top the final one here (although the next Mad Max movie coming out next year might change things).

I REALLY need to watch this again.  Until I watched a clip, I forgot how great a villain the Humungus is.  We don't get too much insight, but some of the things he says and does lets on that he cares about his henchmen (they aren't just his tools, they're his tribe) and that he has a sense of honor and nobility.  I could easily see him and Max teaming up if there was a nastier foe.  Oh, and I would never have been that interested in a new Mad Max movie, even with George Miller involved, if I hadn't seen that new trailer.

#6 – Kill Bill

I may have actually forgotten to include this one, so I'm glad it got so high anyway. It's the usual batch of Tarantino style and pulp (which is a good thing, because his style is aces), and the cartoonishly over-the-top fight scene is just as crazy as it needs to be and then some. The only downside of it is that it's such a showstopper, people sometimes forget the rest of the movie, particularly the opening fight that destroys the small suburban house. I'm the sort who somewhat prefers Part II's more talky, somewhat relaxed atmosphere (the trailer fight aside), but this is still a great movie with a kickass batch of action. Also, it helped really propel Bruce Lee's Game of Death outfit into pop culture, which is a good thing, particularly since it somehow hasn't quite become overplayed yet.
I think I might prefer Part II as well, but yeah, it is less of an action movie and more of a revenge thriller.  I mean it always was, but it puts away the very cool fights to go to a tenser, more intimate place.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 07:08:53 PM by Johnny Unusual »

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #104 on: December 12, 2014, 07:09:27 PM »
#4 – Robocop

118 Points, 7 Lists, #2 CJones
  Your move, creep.

In future Detroit, the city is overrun with crime and the heavily overworked police force is ready to strike unless they get more support.  The city is in need of a solution and luckily the company OCP has the solution: a robot police officer.  Their initial attempt fails disastrously (and lethally) after they realize a human component is needed.  When police officer Alex Murphy is killed in the line of duty, he is resurrected as a cyborg cop known as RoboCop.  RoboCop proves incredibly effective, but soon his human emotions and memories begin to creep in and he begins to develop free will.  What’s more, when he finds the man who killed him, he learned that he’s part of a larger conspiracy in the heart of OCP.  RoboCop might be the only one who can stop him, but  the enemy might have a big advantage.

Shit Just Got Real! – RoboCop thinks he is given three directives… until he learns the fourth one when attempting to put an end to a criminal within OCP.

Pure Adrenaline Percentage –80%  One great thing about Paul Verhoeven is his ability to embrace the excesses of the 80’s in a way that works in the film’s favor.  The film is eve gorier than the average action movie, often using it for hilarious purposes (particularly when that one guy gets shot up by ED 209.  Apparently, in the director’s cut, ED 209 unloads bullets on that one guy for 30 more seconds).

AAAAAAAAND ACTION!
 <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/u0AJv-oKcLc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/u0AJv-oKcLc</a>
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 07:14:28 PM by Johnny Unusual »