Author Topic: MST3K - Season 11 and Kickstarter Info  (Read 118150 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: Joel MST3K Reboot rumors
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2014, 08:07:39 PM »
Joel has been saying it will be a fresh new cast. I'm assuming some or all of the CT crew will be writers though. (Which I would be for)
FINE

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2014, 08:14:44 PM »
I'd gladly support a Joel or MST Kickstarter.

As a fan, I can say Joel has no reason to be jealous, but he has a long way to go to catch up to Rifftrax. That's because Rifftrax has been putting out material for its fans for years, and the other guys and gals haven't.

CT was a good idea, but it didn't put out a lot of material. Also, they never played anywhere near here, as far as I know.  So, i could only support them whenever they had something for sale online.  Ah, if CT had been able simulcast like Rifftrax! That would have been great. But, ahem, CT wasn't nearly as funny as Rifftrax. There! I said it! Yes, goddamn it, I said it! And I'd say it again! Ahhhhhh!  :angry: I killed that fat barkeep! I'll moon you, man! :speechless:

Sorry...   

Mike, Kevin and Bill won me over, back at Timmy Big Hands.  They were still funny,  they stuck together and tried to keep putting out material. Then came Rifftrax.  As a MST fan that died whenever someone left the show, and suffered through the cancellation of the show, Rifftrax was what I was waiting for.

The rest of Best Brains went their separate ways, to do separate things.

Rifftrax is no longer a replacement for MST, for me.  I like it for its own sake. As for me, they no longer have to say, "From the stars of MST3K."  They are the stars of Rifftrax.  :highfive:

I wish Joel and the gang luck, and am willing to support him and the rest of the gang.
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2014, 08:19:45 PM »
Joel has been saying it will be a fresh new cast. I'm assuming some or all of the CT crew will be writers though. (Which I would be for)

Wow.  That's a bold move. Bold? Why, hell yes, it's bold! Also risky. But, if it makes me laugh my butt off, then I won't care what it is, or how he/they do it.  8)
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2014, 08:24:09 PM »

Wow.  That's a bold move. Bold? Why, hell yes, it's bold! Also risky. But, if it makes me laugh my butt off, then I won't care what it is, or how he/they do it.  8)

Joel put the original crew together - I trust him to find the right people and tone for the show. I'm certainly going to give it a go.

At the time of CT, I found their output a lot more consistant thank Rifftrax. Probably because they only riffed a small group of movies, spent longer on them, and toured and refined them.

At the time, Rifftrax were still mostly releasing MP3s, so it fluctuated between great and the mainstream stuff that (IMO) didn't work as well.

There's a single episode of CT that I didn't at least like a lot, and that's Wasp Woman. Other than that, their catalogue is excellent.

Having said that, the BEST Rifftraxes outrank the best Cinematic Titanics for me.

If you plotted it on a graph, CT would be a nice, high, mostly steady line. RT would have been up and down, hitting higher heights, but also lower lows.

FINE

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2014, 08:45:18 PM »
Good points. I also trust Joel. I hope he's successful.
I liked CT. I own everything of theirs available for me to purchase.  I just like Rifftrax better. My previous breakdown was for comedic purposes only. :)

Added: The mp3's were the last things I purchased here on Rifftrax. I am a VOD fan, and wasn't in a hurry to watch mainstream movies, partly because I don't have DVDs of any mainstream movies.  :speechless:

Both CT and Rifftrax were out for a while before I knew of their existence. So, I didn't watch things in the same order as some of the Rifftrax CT old timers. I would have jumped at the chance to see them live, or simulcast live.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 08:53:23 PM by Miku Fan »
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2014, 07:19:29 AM »
When I saw him at the Albuquerque Comic Expo, he teased that the star of the show he had in mind would be someone "You may have heard of, but lower profile than- say- Patton Oswalt." (That crushes one of my top picks for MST host...)

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2014, 11:01:29 AM »
He could come back as Admiral Joel Robinson, like they do on all the star trek movies.
Who is Patton Oswalt?  The person that allegedly killed George Kennedy?
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2014, 11:36:05 AM »
Stand-Up comic and geek icon. You might know him as the voice of Remy from Pixar's Rattatouille.

Offline KidFlash

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2014, 12:21:35 PM »
Yeah, Oswalt seems a little too high-profile for an MST3k 2.0 host. Would be fun to see him guest on it, though!

Basically CT was done off the grid, so to speak, whereas Rifftrax had backing from Legend Films and could set up a shop and website that wasn't selling stuff out of a member's (Trace's) basement near the end. Plus you add in the fact that everyone lived in different cities, while Rifftrax was just based in San Diego (and Minnesota) and it's not hard to see why there was much more RT product.

I do like the fact that Rifftrax has mutated into its own thing, with the occasional MST3k nod along the way. Would be nice to see other MST alums show up in VODs or live shows - maybe as a 10th anniversary treat in 2016, depending on what happens with the reboot.

Then again, if the crew and writers are all brand new, are there going to be enough of us to put aside the endless comparisons and let the new show live on its own?

(NO! OF COURSE NOT! I HATE <NEW HOST> AND <NEW MADS> AND <NEW VOICES>!)

Sorry, wanted to get that off my chest. :)

I'm also really curious to see how the show will be delivered. Vimeo? YouTube? Am I going to have to pay for it? I'd be happy to contribute to a Kickstarter/GoFundMe, but am wary about dropping X dollars for a subscription and then the inevitable box set. We'll see.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2014, 12:50:05 PM »
Oswalt would be awesome. He's very funny, a big fan of MST3K. And because of his fanbase and him being a household name, he would increase the awareness of the show by a lot. But he's also super busy nowadays. And I'm sure he's out of the pricerange that Joel is looking for.
If they can't get Oswalt, I'd like to see Brian Posehn take the role. Very nerdy, very funny, has a unique voice (that has good range) and is already a known standup comic.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2014, 02:26:01 PM »
I think the original crew might be hard to bring back simply because they would expect better remuneration this time around. Partners rather than writers for hire.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked:
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2014, 04:32:37 PM »
I was gonna suggest Posehn as well.  Heck I'll take Mike Birbiglia too! He'd have kind of a Joel-type of delivery.  Throw in some Sklar-bots for fun.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2014, 05:00:20 PM »
Yeah that would never happen. BANNED!

LOL!   ;D
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2014, 05:57:53 PM »
I think the odds of seeing the CT folks being involved aren't quite as high as people assume. When Bill tweeted on Thanksgiving about his mixed feelings towards the show, Trace, Frank and Josh all RT'ed support and mentioning their own separate projects.

True, but Trace and Josh reprised the roles of Crow and Servo during the new Turkey Day Footage this year, so they seem to be fine with coming back to an MST3K project if Joel's involved (and if, presumably, the price is right). But coming back for a one-off special is hardly the same as coming back for a recurring role.

Shout Factory has clearly been working with both Joel and Mallon for a while now, so maybe they can act as a mediator in the further negotiations? And as for a new host, I could see it going to former-Minnesotan-and-friend-of-both-Rifftrax-and-CT Joseph Scrimshaw. Not as household-a-name as Oswalt or even Posehn, but he's got great timing and would look good next to the bots. (And, as I recall, he was the Joel body double in Trace's "The Frank" music video, so...he's already stood next to them!)

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked:
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2014, 06:08:43 PM »
I think the odds of seeing the CT folks being involved aren't quite as high as people assume. When Bill tweeted on Thanksgiving about his mixed feelings towards the show, Trace, Frank and Josh all RT'ed support and mentioning their own separate projects.

True, but Trace and Josh reprised the roles of Crow and Servo during the new Turkey Day Footage this year, so they seem to be fine with coming back to an MST3K project if Joel's involved (and if, presumably, the price is right). But coming back for a one-off special is hardly the same as coming back for a recurring role.

Shout Factory has clearly been working with both Joel and Mallon for a while now, so maybe they can act as a mediator in the further negotiations? And as for a new host, I could see it going to former-Minnesotan-and-friend-of-both-Rifftrax-and-CT Joseph Scrimshaw. Not as household-a-name as Oswalt or even Posehn, but he's got great timing and would look good next to the bots. (And, as I recall, he was the Joel body double in Trace's "The Frank" music video, so...he's already stood next to them!)

I like this post.

Are we ever getting those back, by the way?
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.