login

Author Topic: What's everyone playing?  (Read 633117 times)

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 693
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Re: What's everyone playing?
« Reply #6810 on: February 03, 2019, 01:52:47 AM »
I'm already getting sick of the remake of Resident Evil 2. I keep going back to the same area over and over, I can't find key items, I'm missing clues and I can't even find my way back into rooms I can't find even with the damn map. Maybe I just need to stop buying games where I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. That's the same for me in the Kingdom Hearts games for DS and 3DS. I don't know what I'm doing and I have no idea where I'm going. Frankly, I'd rather be doing something else other than playing those games, which is sad.

I was tempted to buy RE2, but I'm glad I held off. I own the original version of the game, but never finished it. The only RE game I particularly liked was VII. I never understood the appeal of Kingdom Hearts either.

Offline CJones

« Reply #6811 on: February 03, 2019, 02:20:07 AM »
I feel like I should issue an addendum to my Monster Hunter World post. After playing the game for several more hours, and more importantly, after several hours of reading FAQs and watching videos explaining things, I am starting to find the game surprisingly addictive.

I think this game can best be described as "Boss Fights: The Game". There's still plenty of stuff I don't understand, but now I feel motivated to figure it out. And the monsters actually demonstrate a certain level of intelligence (or at least self preservation). The 14 weapon classes behave in radically different ways. I'm partial to the Twin Blades.

Next time it goes on sale Variety of Cells, for say $30 or less, I actually do recommend checking it out.

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4309
« Reply #6812 on: February 03, 2019, 04:53:21 AM »
I'm already getting sick of the remake of Resident Evil 2. I keep going back to the same area over and over, I can't find key items, I'm missing clues and I can't even find my way back into rooms I can't find even with the damn map. Maybe I just need to stop buying games where I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. That's the same for me in the Kingdom Hearts games for DS and 3DS. I don't know what I'm doing and I have no idea where I'm going. Frankly, I'd rather be doing something else other than playing those games, which is sad.

I was tempted to buy RE2, but I'm glad I held off. I own the original version of the game, but never finished it. The only RE game I particularly liked was VII. I never understood the appeal of Kingdom Hearts either.
At least give the demo a try if you’re curious.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1461
« Reply #6813 on: February 03, 2019, 05:13:26 AM »
I feel like I should issue an addendum to my Monster Hunter World post. After playing the game for several more hours, and more importantly, after several hours of reading FAQs and watching videos explaining things, I am starting to find the game surprisingly addictive.

I think this game can best be described as "Boss Fights: The Game". There's still plenty of stuff I don't understand, but now I feel motivated to figure it out. And the monsters actually demonstrate a certain level of intelligence (or at least self preservation). The 14 weapon classes behave in radically different ways. I'm partial to the Twin Blades.

Next time it goes on sale Variety of Cells, for say $30 or less, I actually do recommend checking it out.

Tempting. But I’m not looking for something that is eventually addictive. I want something that is shorter and fun to play. Either that or an interesting narrative experience. I don’t have time to sink hours and hours into just anything. I’m sure I would like it eventually as well, I just don’t think I have time.

Offline CJones

« Reply #6814 on: February 03, 2019, 03:29:35 PM »

If there's a PC version of the demo, I will, but I can't find one.

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4309
« Reply #6815 on: February 03, 2019, 03:50:22 PM »

If there's a PC version of the demo, I will, but I can't find one.
https://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_6_4__12&term=resident+evil+2

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 149
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #6816 on: February 03, 2019, 04:55:34 PM »
I've been playing Another Eden on my iPhone. It's a game with the same scriptwriter (Masato Kato) and musical composer (Yasunori Mitsuda) as the Chrono series and Xenogears. The game feels more in line with Chrono Trigger than Chrono Cross in terms of script, but somewhere in between Trigger and Cross in terms of music. In any event, I'm having fun! It's free to play, but in no way did I feel cheated when I bought items. It turned out my buying in-game items was a result of my own stupidity and naïveté rather than being cheated by the program, but in any event, I'm really happy to support such a talented team! If you don't have the game, do download it if you want something great and affordable!

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 478
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #6817 on: February 03, 2019, 06:29:00 PM »
I was playing Advance Wars: Dual Strike today. I love this game but when I get to mission 20 I hit a wall because that stage is for lack of better words... effing impossible.

Offline CJones

« Reply #6818 on: February 14, 2019, 12:14:47 PM »
I just started Civ 6: Gathering Storm. Playing as the Maori. I've always liked the seafaring Civs.

Fun Fact: I ran the GS benchmark and it loaded Dido of Phoenicia. The music was totally "March of the Swordmaster" by Rhapsody (of Fire). It turns out that melody is an Italian folk song called "Donna ti voglio cantare" 

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 122
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #6819 on: February 14, 2019, 05:06:55 PM »
I love Rhapsody, I got to see them play about 14 years ago, with Manowar. Very fun concert. This was before they added "of fire" to the name.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 260
« Reply #6820 on: February 14, 2019, 07:19:30 PM »
I just started Civ 6: Gathering Storm. Playing as the Maori. I've always liked the seafaring Civs.

Fun Fact: I ran the GS benchmark and it loaded Dido of Phoenicia. The music was totally "March of the Swordmaster" by Rhapsody (of Fire). It turns out that melody is an Italian folk song called "Donna ti voglio cantare"

Downloaded it tonight and I'm hoping to dig into it tomorrow.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3072
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #6821 on: February 14, 2019, 07:42:53 PM »
I played around with it a bit today. My first city was right next to a natural wonder! Mount Kilimanjaro. So I got a good taste of what disasters are all about. They taketh away and then they giveth. Repeatedly.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 478
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #6822 on: February 14, 2019, 08:23:34 PM »
I just found out Hollow knight is actually on Xbox one. I'll have to give it a buy one of these days. All the good word of mouth I keep hearing about it here on the forum and out there on the rest of the 'net makes me wish I got it sooner.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2598
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #6823 on: February 14, 2019, 11:50:28 PM »
I just found out Hollow knight is actually on Xbox one. I'll have to give it a buy one of these days. All the good word of mouth I keep hearing about it here on the forum and out there on the rest of the 'net makes me wish I got it sooner.

Probably my favourite from last year (which is when it hit the Switch). Really difficult though.
FINE

Offline CJones

« Reply #6824 on: February 15, 2019, 07:20:12 AM »

Probably my favourite from last year (which is when it hit the Switch). Really difficult though.

I've said this many times, but Hollow Knight is easily my favorite game of 2017. But EJG III is right, it's not easy. Especially if you try to do everything. If you can get through the White Palace and the Trial of the Fool without spewing profanities, you're a better man than I.