Author Topic: What's everyone playing?  (Read 695133 times)

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 850
  • Define lunch or be disintegrated!
Re: What's everyone playing?
« Reply #7170 on: March 23, 2020, 10:37:15 AM »
Viral games:
Contra anniversary Collection
Castlevania anniversary Collection
Doom 64
Damascus Gear Operation Osaka
Gensou Rondo Bullet Ballet

Offline Lesbunny

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 779
  • I just kinda want to die all the time
« Reply #7171 on: March 23, 2020, 03:30:50 PM »
I should be able to get Animal Crossing on the 30th, provided everything goes the way it's supposed to. I'm so excited to play this game. I can't wait to literally fall asleep trying to catch a bunch of fish for a bowtie wearing owl

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1705
« Reply #7172 on: March 23, 2020, 06:03:49 PM »
Played some Half Life Alyx today, the new VR only game.  It was gooooood.  Apparently I get it for free, I think because I bought some of the new controllers.  They've put a lot of detail into the world, to the point where I've spent a lot of time just interacting with everything.  You have to scrounge for ammo and other items a lot.  But since you have to physically pick up boxes and shake them out, and turn stuff over, it puts a much more realistic frame of mind to the concept of 'loot', and turns it into 'looting'. 

And speaking of realistic, the first time you get a gun shoved in your face is freaky as hell.  I reflexively put my hands up (this is before you get a gun).  But it was freaky in the sense that I was immediately thinking about the fact that there are people without my skin tone have to go through that in real life, and not just for fun in a video game. 

So far it's not as shooter heavy as the trailers made it out to be, and has taken it's time letting you explore and enjoy the worlds.  Some of the little puzzles are cute too.  Good stuff so far.  I think perhaps it's too little, too late to save the idea of big budget VR games, but I'm glad it exists.

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2911
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #7173 on: March 23, 2020, 06:21:44 PM »
When hitting a rock for ore, dig a couple holes behind you to keep the recoil from pushing you away from the rock. Then you can whack away and hopefully get all 8 possible bits of ore.

You're doing it the hard way ;) https://twitter.com/philippawarr/status/1242054979147509760?s=21
FINE

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3699
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #7174 on: March 23, 2020, 06:41:29 PM »
Neat! New game, new tricks.

Offline Russoguru

• Liked: 850
  • Define lunch or be disintegrated!
« Reply #7175 on: March 23, 2020, 11:25:21 PM »
I was playing Contra anniversary collection today, using my little trick of save states to beat every game in the collection, and got my gold medal.

I was playing Doom 64 a little while ago. Damn, this is a fun game. Lot of tricky little puzzles though. I should just use a password to go to the final stage or something.

I was playing Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash. Yes, I know, I'm bad... but it's fun to be bad!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2917
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #7176 on: March 27, 2020, 09:51:54 AM »
City Skylines is free for the weekend.  And pretty cheap to buy until Monday.

Played it the last time it was free and gave up on it, trying it again now and it's better, but why can't all games with 3D maps have the same controls for moving the map?  So annoying...

Not sure I'll end up buying it even at $5, it seems like a game with a million add-ons that cost a few buck each....

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3699
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #7177 on: March 27, 2020, 02:06:09 PM »
Decided to take a chance on Good Job! for the Switch. The premise is, you're a destructive child who has been given a job by your dad in an office building. In each stage, you are given a task to do and there are no restrictions on how you do it. For instance, you can carefully wheel a projector into the conference room, maneuvering it through sliding doors and busy office workers, or you can set up a makeshift slingshot using extension cables and catapult it through the wall. You're given different scores based on how much you broke and how fast you do the job. I haven't figured out whether the game prefers careful or fast, but it seems to favor fast. It is very similar in tone to Untitled Goose Game and has a lot of neat "I can't believe that worked" moments.

Offline CJones

• Liked: 918
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #7178 on: March 27, 2020, 03:10:19 PM »
Decided to give Doom Eternal another shot. Someone on the Steam forums described this game as "A great standalone game, but as a sequel to Doom 2016, it is lacking", and I feel like that's an accurate assessment. Why on Earth do melee attacks do zero damage? What's even the point of having them, other than breaking down walls. And what are you supposed to do if you run out of ammo and gasoline. In 2016 you always had the pistol as back up, but now that's gone.

I will say one thing though; I wish Id would let other game developers know how to program games this well. Even on my now outdated system, I can run the game with all settings on max, except textures, and keep a consistent 60 fps.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #7179 on: March 27, 2020, 08:43:11 PM »
Already gave up on Cities Skylines again, funny that I have 150 hours in Surviving Mars but Skylines wears me out after a couple, on the surface the games are similar.  I think it's all the micro managing you have to do, in Mars you can get by pretty well just letting the AI do the micro managing instead of doing it yourself but that doesn't seem work as well in Skylines.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1705
« Reply #7180 on: March 28, 2020, 06:29:39 AM »
Already gave up on Cities Skylines again, funny that I have 150 hours in Surviving Mars but Skylines wears me out after a couple, on the surface the games are similar.  I think it's all the micro managing you have to do, in Mars you can get by pretty well just letting the AI do the micro managing instead of doing it yourself but that doesn't seem work as well in Skylines.

There was always something in Skylines that prevented me from focusing on what I wanted to do. Be it crime or fires or trash build up or traffic, there was always something demanding my money and attention. And I didn’t have the time or the drive to research efficient ways to fix each problem.  I still consider it a great game, just not for me.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #7181 on: March 28, 2020, 09:36:31 AM »

There was always something in Skylines that prevented me from focusing on what I wanted to do. Be it crime or fires or trash build up or traffic, there was always something demanding my money and attention. And I didn’t have the time or the drive to research efficient ways to fix each problem.  I still consider it a great game, just not for me.

Yes, that's exactly my problem with it, the constant issues that pop up, if you don't deal with them right away you get less money, if you deal with them you use up all your money and as it builds back up more immediate issues pop up.  So you've got to micro manage everything to maximize the money coming in or else you are stuck in that loop of only responding to immediate issues.

Offline Lesbunny

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 779
  • I just kinda want to die all the time
« Reply #7182 on: March 28, 2020, 02:19:43 PM »
I got Animal Crossing this morning! My fruit is apple, and I'm going to enjoy this game and take everything fairly slow so that I can eek out all the pleasure I can from it.

As usual, I couldn't think of anything to call my island, so I settled on Canada.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #7183 on: March 28, 2020, 04:48:36 PM »

Yes, that's exactly my problem with it, the constant issues that pop up, if you don't deal with them right away you get less money, if you deal with them you use up all your money and as it builds back up more immediate issues pop up.  So you've got to micro manage everything to maximize the money coming in or else you are stuck in that loop of only responding to immediate issues.

I looked up some tips on how to start better, and I did get a nice small town building up to a small city, but then ran into the same issues again, the bigger the place gets the faster things happen and it goes from fun to feeling like work...

Offline CJones

• Liked: 918
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #7184 on: March 28, 2020, 04:51:46 PM »
I got Animal Crossing this morning! My fruit is apple, and I'm going to enjoy this game and take everything fairly slow so that I can eek out all the pleasure I can from it.

As usual, I couldn't think of anything to call my island, so I settled on Canada.

Could have named it Prince Edward Isle. An actual island in Canada. Also where Anne of Green Gables takes place.