login

Author Topic: What's everyone playing?  (Read 725099 times)

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 206
    • My website full o' stuff.
Re: What's everyone playing?
« Reply #7050 on: September 24, 2019, 07:29:33 PM »
[qu
Meanwhile, I'm playing Puyo Puyo 2.  One of the great puzzle games (the original released in English speaking countries as Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine) though I wish Nintendo took a little time to translate it.  I want to know what terrible jokes those adorable monsters are telling.

My Japanese skills aren't proficient enough to quickly read what they're saying, so even I'm lost!

I played through Final Fantasy 5 and Romancing SaGa 3 in Japanese. This was before they were translated. I took 2 years of Japanese in college, and I had a Kanji dictionary. I still did not have the slightest idea what was going on by the end :P I also have original SFC carts of Dragon Quest 6 and Seiken Densetsu 3 (what would have been Secret of Mana 2), but I never managed to finish either of them.

I took two years of Japanese in college and have a Kanji translator (albeit in iPhone app form) too! Also, Seiken Densetsu 3 finally got an English name after all these years and it's called Trials of Mana.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3094
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #7051 on: September 29, 2019, 10:03:24 AM »
GOG has a big sale on Surviving Mars, I had heard it was much improved since launch so picked it up.  6 hours in and it's quite addictive, too bad my colony is currently being wiped out by a plague and researching the cure is going to take forever.  So it is certainly worth the $22 for the deluxe edition, not sure it would be worth the normal price.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3094
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #7052 on: October 01, 2019, 10:30:57 AM »
Yikes, I might have to quit playing Surviving Mars, it's way too addictive, so far every time I sit down to play it I think I've only played for an hour but 5 or 6 have gone by....

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3898
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #7053 on: October 01, 2019, 10:42:26 AM »
I got Surviving Mars as part of a $20 simulation bundle and regretted it because the complete version of the game has been on sale for the same price multiple times and the expansions are pricey. It's an excellent game, though.

I've been playing Two-Point Hospital, which was made by a bunch of the people who made Theme Hospital, which is exciting if you're into that kind of thing. It's a great game, but the soundtrack- which does a good job of evoking hospitals, to its credit- is a major earworm and is driving me nuts.

Offline Cupcake

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1161
  • Rebranded from Lesbunny
« Reply #7054 on: October 01, 2019, 06:08:43 PM »
Anyone have some VR game recommendations? I just picked up a WMR headset and am looking for things to play :D

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1097
« Reply #7055 on: October 01, 2019, 07:27:24 PM »
I heard Super Hot VR is really good, and so is the FNAF game on PS4.
"Russoguru is a naive jackass"

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1782
« Reply #7056 on: October 02, 2019, 04:20:47 AM »
Anyone have some VR game recommendations? I just picked up a WMR headset and am looking for things to play :D

Super Hot is indeed very good. Best Saber is probably the most polished and fun VR game. Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is particularly good in VR. Minecraft is a lot of fun in VR as well, but I recommend the java version with the mod instead of the official VR.

When I get home I’ll look through my steam and give some more recommendations.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 206
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #7057 on: October 02, 2019, 06:54:57 AM »
As I said in the I just beat… thread, I'm playing Dragon Quest II because I beat Dragon Quest, both on the Nintendo Switch. I'm enjoying it, more so than when I played the games when they were out on the Game Boy Color. Maybe I understand the franchise more?

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #7058 on: October 02, 2019, 01:02:33 PM »

Super Hot is indeed very good. Best Saber is probably the most polished and fun VR game. Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is particularly good in VR. Minecraft is a lot of fun in VR as well, but I recommend the java version with the mod instead of the official VR.

When I get home I’ll look through my steam and give some more recommendations.

Alright, I'm home.

Accounting+ is hilarious.  It's the voice actor who does Rick and Morty and designed by one of the guys who did The Stanley Parable.  Highly recommend it.

Eleven: Table Tennis feels very close to real table tennis.  Simple interface and a lot of fun.

Fruint Ninja is fun for a bit.  But it doesn't have legs. 

Creed: Rise to Glory is good, and gives you a hell of a workout.  It was also a weird feeling to be boxing someone that was taller than me, because I'm 6'4" and I don't meet many people taller than me, let alone have to punch them.  Very intimidating.

Holopoint is another good workout game, but with archery instead of boxing.  Really gets you moving around in the later levels.

Chroma Lab is the exact opposite of a workout.  It's just a bunch of dots that swarm around you in trippy patterns while they pulse to the music playing on your computer.  Very relaxing.

Superhot VR, like I mentioned before, is great.  A must play.

Beat Saber still holds the crown though.  So much fun, and also quite a workout.  I highly recommend looking into mods that allow you to play user created levels with other songs, because the music included in the game is just kind of meh.

And unfortunately, that's pretty much all of my recommendations.  There aren't a lot of great VR games out there.  Especially ones that I can play.  I can't play games where you move using a joystick, or are riding in a vehicle.  I get motion sickness.  I can do teleporting games though. 

Let me know if you end up playing anything fun that I haven't mentioned.

Offline Cupcake

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1161
  • Rebranded from Lesbunny
« Reply #7059 on: October 02, 2019, 01:21:30 PM »
I got Beat Saber and FNAF. Beat Saber is awesome, but I fucking suck at it right now. FNAF VR was the reason I got VR, and HOLY FUCK. That is the most intense terrifying thing I ever played. I was looking down the hall to see what I could, and accidentally stepped out of the play area. Apparently the solution to that is to make Foxy come at you to punish you for trying to leave the office. Watching Bonnie and Chica walk around though... I don't know if I've ever been more afraid playing a game, and that was just the first night in FNAF 1... it seems like it's be good for you though, since you don't move, afaik.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3331
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #7060 on: October 02, 2019, 05:10:07 PM »
I'm surprised to see no one has mentioned a certain Goose game that has taken the world by storm.

My boy and I played it on launch day and it is such a perfect game. We finished it that weekend.

We bought a couple more games that were on sale and started playing RiME, which we're really enjoying too.
FINE

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #7061 on: October 02, 2019, 05:38:44 PM »
I'm surprised to see no one has mentioned a certain Goose game that has taken the world by storm.

My boy and I played it on launch day and it is such a perfect game. We finished it that weekend.

We bought a couple more games that were on sale and started playing RiME, which we're really enjoying too.

It's really fun!  Had a girl I'm seeing play it for a bit too, and we had a blast being a terror of a goose together.  RiME is also pretty good too. 

Currently playing Noita a bit.  2D pixelart Rougelike spelunking game with magic wands, where all the environment is destructible in different ways.  Pretty good, but hard and punishing.  But so far there are no rewards that roll over to your next playthrough, so each run seems kind of like random chance on whether you make it any farther depending on the wands you find.  And that's where other rougelikes have really hooked me: that random chance mixed with a slow progression of better items or stats. 

Also started Little Misfortune, a point and click adventure.  I enjoy the world so far, but there has been precious little in terms of actual gameplay, just making choices.  I'm only an hour in though, so I expect that might change.

Link's Awakening is also sitting on my switch, waiting for me to be bored on an airplane or something before I really get into it.

And I'm also tempted to try out the new Magic the Gathering game.  Apparently it's quite a good adaptation of the physical game.  And it's free, so I'll probably try it out.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3898
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #7062 on: October 02, 2019, 06:54:46 PM »
I'm saving Untitled Goose Game for my next Paycheck on Friday. Looking forward to it.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1008
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #7063 on: October 02, 2019, 09:58:19 PM »

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1097
« Reply #7064 on: October 03, 2019, 10:47:54 AM »
That poor guy. First he's trolled by a Duck, and now it's a goddamn goose.
"Russoguru is a naive jackass"