login

Author Topic: Pink Floyd - The Endless River (forever and ever)  (Read 1154 times)

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 930
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
Pink Floyd - The Endless River (forever and ever)
« on: November 07, 2014, 10:16:22 PM »
Anyone else excited about the new up-coming final Pink Floyd album?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Endless_River

I have the CD/BD set pre-ordered (ever since the initial announcement) and have plans to listen to it first and foremost in surround sound, while sitting in happiness on my sofa with some ice cream and a nice cup of tea. My neighbours will complain about the noise and I will tell them "Dude... It's Pink Floyd. Sod off." and ask if they'd like to listen as well.

I can hardly wait.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 526
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
Re: Pink Floyd - The Endless River (forever and ever)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 10:26:15 PM »
I am now that I know about it!!
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 10:43:20 PM »
I am now that I know about it!!

I'm a life-long avid fan of Rick Wright's and was heartbroken when he passed... I guess much of this is based around his input to the band, and I believe might have bits of the recordings he never fully completed when he died.

A review I read described the album as essentially a tribute to Rick and as much a retrospective of the band's legacy as a whole.

But keep in mind it's also entirely instrumental, except for the final song! (and the track with Stephen Hawking)
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 526
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 10:50:34 PM »
I'm passing the word to every Floyd fan I know, which is almost everyone I know.
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline TheUnabeefer

• The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 08:12:02 PM »
Fantastic album!

Honestly, it's almost hard to define or describe... It's really like no other prior album, and it's not really a "collection of songs" as much as "a progression of music."  There are shades of the entire career spread out, including obvious recollections of Another Brick pt 1, Welcome To The Machine, Keep Talking and a few others... One track is formed around a live recording of Rick playing the organ at the Royal Albert Hall in 68....   The whole thing is so uniquely different, yet so familiar at the same time.

Even though it moves in 4 waves/phases/sides, I feel like the entire album is one long instrumental crescendo building to the climax that is the final song (the only one with lyrics), which forms a fitting sense of closure to the band and its career.

It's an encore.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 09:01:39 PM »
David Gilmour is one of my all time favorite guitarists.  Its beyond any doubts he is extremely talented but his solos are not technical to the point of ridiculousness, but very few people can match their raw emotional power. 

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.