login

Author Topic: LoC 82- Top 51 Simpsons Characters  (Read 22832 times)

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 166
  • We are the road crew!
Re: LoC 82- Top 51 Simpsons Characters
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2014, 11:49:14 PM »
Pretty cool list action so far! Dr. Hibbert is underrated I says, what a damn good doctor he is.

Online CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1186
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2014, 01:56:17 PM »
Wait, Otto's last name actually is Mann? I thought that was just what Bart called him.

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1385
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2014, 03:13:36 PM »
Wait, Otto's last name actually is Mann? I thought that was just what Bart called him.

It's pronounced "Mahn". It's German.
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3898
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2014, 06:27:01 PM »
I remember reading somewhere that Otto was originally just Otto, but they decided to let Bart's nickname be his actual name.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3898
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2014, 09:29:52 AM »
So I popped in wondering if Compound would need to update Kodos and Kang's entry after last night's episode. Fortunately, no personal pronouns were used in that entry. :^)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1008
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2014, 07:47:53 PM »
So I popped in wondering if Compound would need to update Kodos and Kang's entry after last night's episode. Fortunately, no personal pronouns were used in that entry. :^)

Well, firstly, Kodos has been referred to as both male and female at times in the show.  (Kang's still probably a guy since he did father Maggie in one episode. )

Secondly, the Rigelians on that episode were only referred to as "The Johnsons" by Lrrr and Ndnd. That doesn't mean that they're Kang or Kodos, simply Rigellians. Other Rigellians have shown up from time to time, so we know that Kang and Kodos aren't the only members of their race.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2014, 10:27:08 PM »
Number 20: Jeffery Albertson

63 Points
(5 of 10 lists. Highest ranking #7 by Cole Stratton)

Biography:
Jeff Albertson, better known as Comic Book Guy, is the owner of The Android's Dungeon, a comic book shop in Springfield. While an entrepreneur, he also holds a master's in folklore and mythology as well as a degree in chemical engineering. As a side project, he also runs the blog side “Ain't I Fat News.”  For a brief time, he was part of the Mensa cabal running Springfield.

Despite his owning a comic shop, he has had a number of romantic entanglements in Springfield. He dated Agnes Skinner for a brief period. Later, he dated and nearly married Edna Krabappel. Recently, he became involved and then married Kumiko Nakamura, a Japanese manga artist. As a side note, when the Mensa folks controlled Springfield, CBG declared that from now, Springfield's breeding would be on the same schedule as Pon Farr, i.e. once every seven years. He's actually running on that schedule.

Technically, The Android's Dungeon went out of business after a rival store opened across the street, and was then turned into a women's fitness center. Someone it reopened since then.

Voiced By:
Hank Azaria

First Appearance:
“Three Men and A Comic Book” - Season 2, Episode 23

Notes:
At one point, Comic Book Guy was used to represent the inhabitants of the alt.tv.simpsons newsgroup. As someone who was active  on Usenet at the time (Hi, rec.arts.tv.mst3k.misc!), I'll note that they underplayed the nature of those newsgroup members. And even in season 7, the show “should have gone off the air years ago.”

The name Jeff Anderson was specifically chosen by the Simpsons staff to be as generic as possible as to annoy folks.

Comic Book Guy is also the only Simpsons character to cameo in “The Cleveland Show.” Which means that more Simpsons characters appeared on that show than Family Guy characters did.

Up Next:
Oh, hai.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2014, 10:29:23 PM »
Number 19: Dr. Nicholas Riviera

63 Points
(6 of 10 lists. Highest ranking #2 by Pak-Man)

Biography:
Dr. Nick Riviera is one of Springfield's doctors, and not one of the better ones.  He's a graduate of “Hollywood Upstairs Medical College.” Unfortunately, Dr. Nick is not a very good doctor and his patients often end up dead or maimed.

Dr. Nick was the sole casualty when Springfield was sealed in a dome, getting impaled by a . giant shard of the glass dome. This has not kept him from reappearing since then though.

Voiced By:
Hank Azaria

First Appearance:
“Bart Gets Hit by a Car” -Season 2, Episode 10

Notes:
According to the writers, Dr. Nick merely “fainted”  when the giant piece of glass impaled him.

Up Next:
I'd let him introduce himself, but it would take 27 hours.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2014, 10:31:18 PM »
Number 18: Abraham Jay-Jededian Simpson

71 Points
(5 of 10 lists. Highest ranking #5 by C Jones and John U)

Biography:
Abe Simpson is the father of Homer Simpson as well as his illegitimate children Herb Powell (fathered with a carnival prostitute) and Abbie (whom he fathered with a British woman during World War II.) He has a pair of brothers. He was a member of the famed Flying Hellfish unit  during World War II, but also may have served time as a POW.

After WWII, he met his wife Mona and they begat Homer. Later when Mona became a hippie and abandoned him, Abe spent time working in a jazz club where he met and fell in love with jazz singer Rita LaFleur but he left her to take care of Homer. Homer has since repaid that care by dumping Abe in the Springfield Retirement Home.

Voiced By:
Dan Castellaneta

First Appearance:
”Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire” - Season 1, Episode 1

Notes:
Matt Groening, who has a habit of naming Simpsons characters after members of his own family, purposefully didn't want to  name Grandpa Simpson after his own grandfather, so he let the staff choose the name. They randomly chose “Abe” which also happened to be Grandpa Groening's name.

Up Next:
Recently, he's just Normal.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2014, 10:33:28 PM »
Number 17: Stuart Discothèque

74 Points
(6 of 10 lists. Highest ranking #6 by Pak-Man)

Biography:
Disco Stu is the owner of Stu's Disco. He is a disco aficionado who tends to wear a leisure suit. He was originally a sea captain, but left the sea after he discovered his love of disco. He's also an ex-husband of Selma Bouvier.

Voiced By:
Hank Azaria

First Appearance:
“Two Bad Neighbors”

Notes:
Disco Stu was originally supposed to be voiced by Phil Hartman, but a last second animation change made him unavailable.

His marriage to Selma was annulled by Pope John Paul II, so he's either Catholic or a marriage to Selma ranks very high up on the Catholic issues chart.

Up Next:
He is fond of Bavarian Lager.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2014, 10:37:03 PM »
Number16: Hank Scorpio

74 Points
(6 of 10 lists. Highest ranking #5 by Pak-Man)

Biography:
Hank Scorpio is the owner of the Globex Corporation, running his corporation in a friendly, non-authoritative manner. In his off hours, Scorpio is an evil genius who once threatened the world with destruction and he seized control of the East Coast of the United States for a brief period.

Voiced By:
Albert Brooks

First Appearance:
“You Only Move Twice” -Season 8, Episode 2

Notes:
Scorpio has since appeared twice, once in an opening sequence and then again in the line for Homer and Peter's sexy car wash in the Family Guy crossover.

In an early draft of the Simpsons Movie, Scorpio was the villain, but he was replaced by EPA official Russ Cargill.

Up Next:
The next 5!

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2014, 10:37:36 PM »
Sorry, unexpected things popped up today resulting in a short list.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2014, 11:19:39 PM »

Biography
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9QEsjd1WZuY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9QEsjd1WZuY</a>
Fixed that for ya.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6579
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2014, 09:37:57 AM »
In an early draft of the Simpsons Movie, Scorpio was the villain, but he was replaced by EPA official Russ Cargill.
Aww man, we could have gotten Hank Scorpio in the Simpsons Movie? That would have been awesome!

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2014, 03:26:04 PM »
Okay, another 5!