Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 3 (Movie Lineup Through 2019)  (Read 56416 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2743
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 3 (Movie Lineup Through 2019)
« Reply #570 on: February 09, 2020, 07:23:52 PM »
I'm with Lucas - I think Raimi is not very good. We've also already seen three of his movies playing in the Marvel sandbox, and he shat the bed pretty hard.
Wasn't Spiderman 3 a product of executive meddling?

The first one was fine, especially since for it's time.   The second is amazing and I think the third gets a bad rap, it's a mess but it has moments

I prefer the first, and have always found the second to drag. I'm on board with the rap 3 has.

Also, I don't think the Evil Dead series is all that good.
FINE

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3587
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #571 on: February 10, 2020, 12:39:57 PM »
All three are great, and I love EMO Peter Parker.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3409
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #572 on: February 10, 2020, 03:15:16 PM »
I really and truly don't think we'd even have an MCU if it hadn't been for how well audiences accepted the first couple Spider-Man and X-Men movies. Time hasn't treated them super-well, but I think people have forgotten how weird it was to see accurate representation of a Super-Hero on-screen back then. Spider-Man 2 is my favorite of the bunch. The train scene! The fight on the side of a building!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5395
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #573 on: February 10, 2020, 04:26:54 PM »
And pretty much any moment with JJJ.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6080
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #574 on: February 11, 2020, 09:38:03 AM »
Agreed!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 697
  • Define lunch or be disintegrated!
« Reply #575 on: February 11, 2020, 12:57:46 PM »
I might have said this before, but I also don't care for Spiderman 2 in large part because it felt like it was re-using the idea of a superhero in a superhero movie LOSING THEIR POWERS. Superman 2 did the exact, same thing and as a result I never liked that movie much. I don't care how such an idea is executed, it never works for me, it always falls flat. It's a very uninspired trope that kills a movie for me faster than anything else.

Now, try executing the idea from another angle can work. For example, one of the Captain Marvel paperbacks I own shows Captain Marvel can't fly anymore because of a brain tumor. She hasn't lost her powers, she just can't use one of her many powers. THAT could be interested if executed properly. But FTLOG(for the love of God) don't give me a story with such an obvious direction. I mean Super hero loses powers, realizes they HAVE to get their powers back for the good of mankind/the good of the city/the sake of their marriage/whatever feels like something in a made for TV movie and not a big summer blockbuster. At least Spiderman 3 didn't go in a direction that was boring. I mean yeah, Spiderman 3 was bad, but in some ways I like it better than Spiderman 2.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 01:02:20 PM by Russoguru »

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #576 on: February 11, 2020, 01:13:30 PM »
I might have said this before, but I also don't care for Spiderman 2 in large part because it felt like it was re-using the idea of a superhero in a superhero movie LOSING THEIR POWERS. Superman 2 did the exact, same thing and as a result I never liked that movie much. I don't care how such an idea is executed, it never works for me, it always falls flat. It's a very uninspired trope that kills a movie for me faster than anything else.

I do agree with you about this. In Spider-Man 2 he's choosing whether to be Peter Parker or Spider-Man. And from an audience member's standpoint we would always choose for him to be the superhero because that's what we came to see. Plus we're smart enough now to know that he's going to go back to it by the end of the movie anyway. But at least that's not what everybody remembers about Spider-Man 2 anyway.
I had a similar issue with the Nolan Batman movies, especially the third one. Because they so overemphasized how difficult it was for Bruce to be Batman, mentally and physically. But we want him to be Batman. So there's a disconnect between what the audience and the filmmaker wants.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 01:16:55 PM by Darth Geek »

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2743
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #577 on: February 11, 2020, 05:53:08 PM »
Agreed!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He IS perfectly cast and mostly great, however - It gets over-shadowed by the shit they did with Emo-Spider, but JJJ electrified desk garbage in SM3 also stunk.
FINE

Offline kunedog

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #578 on: February 11, 2020, 06:22:18 PM »
Definitely gonna see Black Widow and Dr. Strange, and I have no idea what to think about Shang-Chi.  Nothing else in phase 4 (don't we need a new thread?) interests me, except maybe Loki.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #579 on: February 12, 2020, 01:23:56 AM »
So Falcon and the Winter soldier and WandaVision isn’t interesting? The Eternals could also be really good, as well as Thor love and thunder. I’m really stoked to see the what if series that’s going to be amazing.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3409
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #580 on: February 12, 2020, 08:03:01 AM »
I'm automatically interested in anything that takes place in the MCU just because it takes place there and I want to know everything about what's happened before whatever happens next. They have me wrapped around their finger, and I'm fine with it.

I've mentioned this before, but I really like where the MCU stands right now. Pretty much their entire A-List has been represented already, so if it's not a sequel, it's going to be about someone very few people know. It might even be about someone I don't know well! Then I think back to Guardians of the Galaxy, and how I had no idea who they were and how the movie still completely sold me and pretty much everyone else on the concept, and suddenly there was a new corner of the comic book universe to explore. I can't wait for that to happen again.

It'll probably take a lot more work to get audiences to see, say, Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur than it would to get them to see Iron Man 4, but the thought that a Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur movie isn't a completely ridiculous notion is exciting.

EDIT: Disclaimer - I've never read Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur but I hear it's fantastic.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 08:04:53 AM by Pak-Man »

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6966
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #581 on: February 12, 2020, 08:05:07 AM »
I'm automatically interested in anything that takes place in the MCU just because it takes place there and I want to know everything about what's happened before whatever happens next. They have me wrapped around their finger, and I'm fine with it.

i used to be like that about star trek. but then i heard quentin tarantino wanted to make a star trek movie. :gouge:
dF = 0
d*F = J

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #582 on: February 12, 2020, 08:47:42 AM »
I'm really jazzed for Falcon and Winter Soldier. But Wandavision...not sure. It sounds like they may do creative things in it, based on the trailer. But Scarlet Witch really annoys me. Her powers are just whatever the writers needs them to be at the time. Maybe they'll explain them better and put some actual limits on them in the show?

Offline kunedog

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #583 on: February 13, 2020, 01:36:53 PM »
So Falcon and the Winter soldier and WandaVision isn’t interesting? The Eternals could also be really good, as well as Thor love and thunder. I’m really stoked to see the what if series that’s going to be amazing.

Cap's gone, so I care about as much as I would about Iron Man 4: War and Pepper.

In general, I don't watch much TV, but of course there are exceptions like The Boys and Haunting of Hill House, where the shows have already "aired" and people I trust say good things.  And I much prefer binging Netflix- and Amazon-style over the weekly scheduling that Disney clearly wants to do.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #584 on: February 14, 2020, 10:06:57 AM »
I'm stoked for pretty much every Marvel movie coming out this phase. Black Widow, Eternals, Shang Chi, Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness, Thor Love and Thunder. Then phase 5 we're seeing Black Panther 2. Damn man as long as they can keep up by hitting up quality writers and directors, I'll go see MCU movies until I've got one foot in the grave.