Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 3 (Movie Lineup Through 2019)  (Read 31213 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2105
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 3 (Movie Lineup Through 2019)
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2014, 06:45:14 PM »
After your post, I looked Warlock up in Marvel Unlimited, by the way. Added it to my library, but haven't started it yet.
FINE

Ben

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2014, 05:04:50 AM »
Too...many...superhero movies.

Seriously, I'm saying that as a guy who used to eat this stuff up like candy. The entire decade looks as if it's going to be dominated by costumed supermen. If I didn't know better, I would have found something slightly fascist about it all.

(It doesn't help most of the movies Marvel churns out all have almost exactly the same plot trajectory. I know Ang Lee's HULK will never stop getting flak, but you can't deny it was at least trying something different.)

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1219
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2014, 05:33:15 AM »
What an odd thing to say...
Scottotd on Instagram or @Scottotd on the Tweety :)

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2051
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2014, 05:56:19 AM »
Not really.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2014, 06:02:44 AM »
Really?

If I didn't know better, I would have found something slightly fascist about it all.

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2051
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2014, 06:04:02 AM »
Yes.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2014, 06:06:50 AM »
Besides the weird fascist thing I'm still surprised people think superhero are the same genre and even more having any feelings about movies/TV/pop-culture they could just not engage in.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2166
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2014, 07:01:39 AM »
It's a funny thing. Superhero is not a genre, no. But putting a superhero IN a given genre makes me way more likely to see it. I'm not the type to go see political thrillers, for instance, but I sure enjoyed Captain America.

Ben

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2014, 11:40:03 AM »

What's "odd" about it? Superheroes are crowding out just about every other type of blockbuster out there, to the point where no studio executive would dare invest his/her money in anything that doesn't involve filthy-rich billionaires or people endowed with unnatural powers. The film industry has taken on the same pattern as the world economy, with studios either pumping out depressing no-budget character studies, or IRON MAN and HARRY POTTER, with the middle class evaporating entirely. You do it for $1 million or $500 million, but ten or fifteen million? Get the hell out of my office, ya bum!

That, to me, strongly resembles fascism.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4952
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2014, 01:43:26 PM »
Superhero movies are just an extension of action movies. We've been having supposedly human action heroes do more and more impossible things in movies for decades. If comic books didn't exist, we'd be making these characters up anyways.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2014, 04:27:03 PM »

What's "odd" about it? Superheroes are crowding out just about every other type of blockbuster out there, to the point where no studio executive would dare invest his/her money in anything that doesn't involve filthy-rich billionaires or people endowed with unnatural powers. The film industry has taken on the same pattern as the world economy, with studios either pumping out depressing no-budget character studies, or IRON MAN and HARRY POTTER, with the middle class evaporating entirely. You do it for $1 million or $500 million, but ten or fifteen million? Get the hell out of my office, ya bum!

That, to me, strongly resembles fascism.

OK, what you're doing there is caleld confirmation bias. These blockbuster movies are all schedueled for 2015:

FURIOUS 7
MAD MAX: FURY ROAD
TOMORROWLAND
SAN ANDREAS
JURASSIC WORLD
TERMINATOR: GENESIS
GRIMSBY
PEREGRINE’S HOME FOR PECULIARS
ASSASSIN’S CREED
THE BOURNE *SOMETHING*
HUNGER GAMES MOCKINGJAY PART 2
CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON 2
CINDERELLA
DIVERGENT 2
MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 5
THE MAN FROM UNCLE
INSIDIOUS 3
POINT BREAK
POLTERGEIST

None of those are super hero films. (Admittedly there are some kind of powers involved in PHfP, but it's not in any way a super hero movie)

That's not counting upcoming animated blockbusters or comedies.

And I don't think you know what Fascism is.
FINE

Offline goflyblind

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 6490
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2014, 04:32:57 PM »

a buzzword for bad things. :speechless:
dF = 0
d*F = J

Ben

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2014, 04:59:43 PM »
None of those are super hero films. (Admittedly there are some kind of powers involved in PHfP, but it's not in any way a super hero movie)

Not technically, but you might also notice the majority of the films you listed are either "reboots", sequels, or remakes. The advent of the superhero in movies is just a symptom of a bigger problem, which is the dearth of originality in mainstream cinema.

I've had this nasty little nugget thrown in my face before, and with all due respect...it's bullshit. I know exactly what fascism is. One viewing of SHOAH was more than enough to remind me, so kindly don't ever repeat that line to me again.

What you fail to understand is how fascism is being applied in this particular situation. When the term "fascism" is mentioned, your brain immediately locks into imagery of jackboots and black uniforms. What you forget is that evil adapts with the times. Instead of a wide group of people being oppressed, it's dreams and ideas. Just because they're not flesh and blood doesn't make it any less wrong.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 05:01:35 PM by Ben »

Online The Lurker

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3652
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2014, 05:10:51 PM »
Part of the problem is increasing advertising costs.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2014, 05:11:50 PM »

Not technically, but you might also notice the majority of the films you listed are either "reboots", sequels, or remakes. The advent of the superhero in movies is just a symptom of a bigger problem, which is the dearth of originality in mainstream cinema.

WHOA! Did anyone see those goalposts go flying down the street?! Incredible!

I'm not sure why seeing SHOAH makes you think studios making superhero movies is a form of Fascim. It must have been a different cut?

Anyway, you can say something is bullshit, but you've still not made a convincing arguement at all.

In fact, isn't this all a reaction to what the people want? Would this be happening if super hero movies weren't making more money than most other films?
FINE