login

Author Topic: The Big Smash Bros. Thread  (Read 16502 times)

Offline Lesbunny

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 867
  • I just kinda want to die all the time
Re: The Big Smash Bros. Thread
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2018, 01:00:42 PM »
Been trying to practice Dash Dancing. It sucks because I've got twitchy hands, so I tend to make a lot of mistakes when trying to keep the timing right. Fun fact about this game: if you either press Down on the stick or release the stick entirely mid dash, you will return to a standing state. This is great for fighters who have bad dash attacks or grabs, because often their standing grab is a lot better, and usually they have a better attack to hit with. Another neat option is the Stilt, or sliding tilt. During a dash, pivot quickly and throw out a tilt. You maintain a lot of the dash momentum, and it can be used either offensively or defensively. The input is essentially the same as the RAR, but you don't jump.

Wavedashing is back, too, but it's a lot less useful. Dash dancing is probably the technique you want to master to take your game up a peg.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1747
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2018, 08:00:18 PM »
Seems that I’m currently strongest with Cloud. I enjoy his limit break, because others usually aren’t paying attention to when I have it. He’s also powerful up close, but has a nice harassing ranged attack. I also enjoy his kirbyesque up special that can also come down quick and hard on enemies.

Now I need to get better with Bayonetta. In the serious competitive world it makes sense to put all your time into getting good at one character. But in the casual social circles I play in at work, it’s seen as cheap if you don’t rotate characters every couple matches.

Oh, and I rescind whatever compliments I had for the local wireless feature. It’s garbage unless you are littlerally a foot from the other person. I was shocked that we were experiencing a lot of lag at a comfortable four feet from one another. Oh, and the online lag is hot garbage. Thought maybe since I was paying for it it would be a little better. But nope. Still manages to be fun somehow, but it’s terrible.

Offline Lesbunny

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2018, 08:34:27 PM »
Both Cloud and Bayo got nerfed hard from 4. They're actually just garbage competitively now, but they still have amazing kits.

Also, most people who play competitively have a main and a secondary who covers weak matchups. Say you're playing someone who's got really gimpable recovery most of the time, and then you go up against someone who's really good offstage, you'd want to pick up someone who can counter that to improve your matchup against characters like that.

Ridley is surprisingly fun to play, I'm excite. And Palutena is actually GOOD, like a hair's breadth from Top Tier.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 196
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2018, 11:21:18 AM »
I got all fighters except Piranha Plant. Why don't I have Piranha Plant?

Offline The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 4978
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2018, 11:30:53 AM »
Its one of the DLC ones but not part of the wave of 5.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2018, 11:49:27 AM »

"The wave of five"? You lost me…

Offline The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2018, 12:03:33 PM »

By wave of five I mean the Fighter’s Pass (DLC)

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2018, 12:08:51 PM »

Ah, I don't have the fighter's pass. Does that mean that I don't get the Piranha Plant DLC either?

EDIT: Just so you know, money is not an issue with me; I'm willing to buy a fighter's pass. I just don't know if the Piranha Plant DLC is part of that.

Offline The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2018, 12:14:01 PM »

Ah, I don't have the fighter's pass. Does that mean that I don't get the Piranha Plant DLC either?
Nah. Like I said, Piranha Plant is also DLC, but separate.  If you register the game through the Nintendo reward program, you’ll get the character for free when it releases, otherwise it’ll be available for purchase later.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2018, 12:20:54 PM »

Nah. Like I said, Piranha Plant is also DLC, but separate.  If you register the game through the Nintendo reward program, you’ll get the character for free when it releases, otherwise it’ll be available for purchase later.

Oh, so it's not released yet? That was an easy enough explanation…

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot: Thank you very much for your explanation and clarification!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3749
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2018, 02:33:43 PM »
Yeah, watch whatever Email you have tied to your My Nintendo account. A few days after registering for the gold coins (Or just purchasing it digitally) you'll get an Email with the code that gives you the Piranha Plant. Enter that, and it will automatically download when it comes out. (In February, I think.)

Offline The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2018, 02:45:46 PM »
I've been listening to the OST as I wait for Christmas and I've been thinking that it's odd that one of the worst Castlevania games has one of the best tracks in the game.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/kW2I0-jxTsE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/kW2I0-jxTsE</a>

Offline Lesbunny

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2018, 07:59:35 AM »
If you use Gmail, check the promotions tab for your PPlant code. It's been sneaky.

Offline Lesbunny

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2018, 10:50:44 AM »
OH MY GOD WHO THOUGHT THE DR. WILY FIGHT IN WoL WAS FUCKING FAIR

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1747
« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2018, 04:54:41 PM »
OH MY GOD WHO THOUGHT THE DR. WILY FIGHT IN WoL WAS FUCKING FAIR

Ha, yeah that was one of the tougher ones. Had to come back to that one after getting a bunch of other spirits. The hardest for me was the fight in the donkey Kong section where there are three enemies and bullet bills spawn all the time. Took me forever to get past that one.

Trying to clear all the battles now after having beat the game, so I’m going back and doing the ones I skipped.