login

Author Topic: rifftrax Dec Live show is Santa Claus (1959)  (Read 10760 times)

Offline J Garth Wilcox

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 18
rifftrax Dec Live show is Santa Claus (1959)
« on: October 22, 2014, 11:34:40 AM »
Just got an email from kickstarter saying that the Dec live show is K. Gordon Murray's version of Santa Claus. Was hoping for something non MST3K, but I'll still have fun with it. If it's shown in Canada.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
Re: rifftrax Dec Live show is Santa Claus (1959)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 12:06:27 PM »
Hah yeah, "Surprise! Another MST3K reriff!"

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5712
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 04:04:59 PM »
I get that it's public domain, so it's cheap. But if they are going to re-riff something, for God's sake make it one of the movies from KTMA or Season 1! I love MST3K, but those episodes are almost unwatchable.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 527
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 05:15:29 PM »
I get that it's public domain, so it's cheap. But if they are going to re-riff something, for God's sake make it one of the movies from KTMA or Season 1! I love MST3K, but those episodes are almost unwatchable.

Could be mistaken, but I don't think they had the rights to the movies in the KTMA days. They sorta literally used those movies without permission.
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 05:18:42 PM »
Well, they said they used movies in KTMA's video library. Movie where the television studio had paid for the rights to show on TV. But aren't several of them public domain? I thought Robot Monster was public domain. And that's about as imfamous of a bad sci-fi movie as Plan 9, so it would be a draw to get people in to a live show.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 05:39:38 PM »
Well, they said they used movies in KTMA's video library. Movie where the television studio had paid for the rights to show on TV. But aren't several of them public domain? I thought Robot Monster was public domain. And that's about as imfamous of a bad sci-fi movie as Plan 9, so it would be a draw to get people in to a live show.

I agree, some of them must be public domain.  I was thinking of an interview I saw somewhere on the web where one of the guys said they "stole" the movies and just did them without seeking permission.  It's one thing to do that at a small UHF station, but another to do it in theaters. I like some of the "newer" ktma episodes, such as seals SST Death Flight, Hangar 18, SF international and the one about the super bowl.  those were made for TV movies and may not be public domain.  Anyway, I agree with your point. :)
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 301
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 08:18:42 PM »

Robot Monster was season one. But it would still be a good one to re-riff. The MST Santa Claus is a classic. I just can't get excited about a new one, live or not. I'd rather have a new VOD.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 08:28:53 PM »
The MST Santa Claus is a classic.
Exactly.

"She is aggressively cute!"

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2639
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 08:16:21 PM »
Pretty sure the reason is to attract more casual rifftrax fans because it has that extra hook of being a mst3k movie.
FINE

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 01:15:40 AM »
Pretty sure the reason is to attract more casual rifftrax fans because it has that extra hook of being a mst3k movie.

Good Point.  Also, they just don't make Christmas Movies like that any more. I don't want them to over do it, in terms of re-riffing MST classics, but Santa is perfect as a Christmas movie...with the previously mentioned caveat that they will never top the humor of the old host segments for that movie. 

I personally look forward to this re-riff.  I was worried about Manos being re-riffed, but it was great! I dreaded Santa Conquers the Martians, as it was both an MST re-riff and, Cinematic Titanic had done it.  But, it too was great.  So, I tend to trust the guys on this.
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline MightyBombJack

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 171
  • Your weapons will have no effect on me
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 09:00:04 PM »
I'm excited to see a re-riffing of this since it's one of my top 2 or 3 favorite MST3K movies. Also, it's worth remembering that the MST3K version was cut a bit for time, so it will be nice to have a riffing of the full movie (some of the Merlin stuff was cut and the blacksmith guy was completely left out).

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 09:29:34 PM »
I'm excited to see a re-riffing of this since it's one of my top 2 or 3 favorite MST3K movies. Also, it's worth remembering that the MST3K version was cut a bit for time, so it will be nice to have a riffing of the full movie (some of the Merlin stuff was cut and the blacksmith guy was completely left out).
I was wondering what they were talking about in the Anaconda show intro when they mentioned that.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 10:35:09 AM »
Just got a email from Fathom events about this.  It has a video/link embedded in the email.
I clicked on it, and it took me to youtube.  Got an error, saying, "this is a private video." That's just stupid! Why make the video private? I was going to forward it to people that haven't attended a Rifftrax live, yet.  My youtube sign in email address isn't the same as the one I use for the Fathom newsletter. So, even I can't view the preview!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 10:43:59 AM by Miku Fan »
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 10:58:12 AM »
Why make the video private?

Poor timing.  Likely the video was uploaded far in advance, but made private so that they could wait to unveil it at a set time, then the e-mail got sent out early or the video not updated on time.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 11:04:23 AM »
Why make the video private?

Poor timing.  Likely the video was uploaded far in advance, but made private so that they could wait to unveil it at a set time, then the e-mail got sent out early or the video not updated on time.

You are as clever as a roninfox. I emailed support at rifftrax. They said it sounded like a mistake, and would contact Fathom. Fathom has a link, to "forward this email to a friend," which would be pointless, as long as the video is private. 

Hopefully, they'll get right on it.  I DO want to get other people to attend Rifftrax Live events.
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!