login

Author Topic: Worst Metal Song  (Read 26727 times)

Offline MisterRiffley

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
    • Mister Riffley
Re: Worst Metal Song
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 06:33:22 AM »
slipknot blows but the band they rip off, mr. bungle, is consummate genius.

i guess i should say was. i'm way old school.

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 06:58:43 AM »
You should also note that they TRY to rip off Mr. Bungle and fail miserably. Slipknot isn't experimental at all, either, so musically the two are pretty separate.

Oh man.. I just realized something. Anyone who wants to know what's truly wrong with metal these days, here's a sample of bands on the HOT TOPIC compilation "Metal = Life".

As I Lay Dying, Between the Buried and Me, Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet for my Valentine, The Absence, Heaven Shall Burn, Fear Before the March of Flames, Thine Eyes Bleed (only famous because of the Slayer connection), Versus the Mirror, Horse the Band, Chiodos, Most Precious Blood.

If their names don't scream "we suck complete ass!" then just listen to the music. Terrible, terrible, and terrible, and they don't deserve the misleading "Metal" label. It's a travesty to real metal and an insult to metalheads.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 07:00:39 AM »
Thine Eyes Bleed (only famous because of the Slayer connection)

I object to such a loose interpretation of the word "famous".

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2007, 08:32:25 AM »
As I Lay Dying, Between the Buried and Me, Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet for my Valentine, The Absence, Heaven Shall Burn, Fear Before the March of Flames, Thine Eyes Bleed (only famous because of the Slayer connection), Versus the Mirror, Horse the Band, Chiodos, Most Precious Blood.

What is it with all this new bullshit trend of naming faux-metal bands the most trite, transparent, pretentious bullshit that can possibly be imagined? These little pricks are invading every concert - you can't see one good band without at least two bands with names like Rose Rotted Corpse and Sad Motherfucking Puppyface Whiny-Voiced Gutless Ball-less Spineless Emo Fucking Fucking Bullshit Fuck... goddamnit. I need to go take my nitro pills.

It's a travesty to real metal and an insult to metalheads.

You're goddamn right it is, and I take it personally that this putrid, gutless shit is invading metal like some disgusting intenstinal parasite crawling up someone's... where are my goddamn nitro pills.

Up until now, I didn't really feel personally antagonized by Hot Topic because I don't relate to anything that Hot Topic mocks and disrespects too horribly, but now I agree with most real goths in that someone needs to go through these boutiques with a chainsaw.

*pops a nitro pill*
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 08:44:42 AM by RobtheBarbarian »

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2007, 08:59:31 AM »
I can't take any band seriously who's singer sounds like Cookie Monster on crystal meth.

I know, probably one of the funniest moments I ever had at work, was flipping the channels of the TV during my break and seeing this all girl band going grururughgururrghhgrughhh. I mean guys sound bad enough, but here were some youngish women trying to imitate it and it just came off so funny.

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Snarl!
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2007, 09:01:41 AM »
I can't take any band seriously who's singer sounds like Cookie Monster on crystal meth.

I know, probably one of the funniest moments I ever had at work, was flipping the channels of the TV during my break and seeing this all girl band going grururughgururrghhgrughhh. I mean guys sound bad enough, but here were some youngish women trying to imitate it and it just came off so funny.

Pretty much except it's more like:

Gruh... GRAGRAFRRGUH.. GRA GRA GRAGHHRTUR... graaaaaaaaaauuuuuuugh.. GRO GRO GRIGHGCHLECT!!!!

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2007, 09:15:17 AM »
I mentioned this in the Shuffle thread, death metal is tricky because there are some great death bands, and some that really suck. I like some death metal, but there is a lot more that I can't stand. Mostly the American stuff is crappy and European is better, usually more melodic too.

For instance you have your Cannibal Corpses, and "grindcore," and then you have Arsis, who is like a prog-melodeath, or Dismember, who is European death metal. All three bands sound nothing alike (well the vocals may be harder to distinguish than all the other genres). It's purely a matter of taste in instances like that. Me personally, I don't like the cookie monster vocals that stand out more than the music, but a band like Arsis who uses the vocals to actually add something to the mix is one I can listen to a lot.

Offline Zealotlee

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2007, 09:18:43 AM »

Pretty much except it's more like:

Gruh... GRAGRAFRRGUH.. GRA GRA GRAGHHRTUR... graaaaaaaaaauuuuuuugh.. GRO GRO GRIGHGCHLECT!!!!

Oh god why can't I stop laughing  :D.

But yeah, I myself am not a big metal head, but I do agree with you all on the whole "mallcore" genre that all these stupid middle-school/high school kids listen to and think they're so awesome.

Also, before anyone mentions it, ICP has to be the WORST thing to happen to music.... EVER!  Yeah... rap, "metal", and clowns.... THAT WILL WORK!

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Snarl!
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2007, 09:23:55 AM »
I know what you mean. There's a band called DevilDriver that has the typical badass death metal guitar, and the singer bellows and screeches but it's actually to a tune that relates to the music being played, and that goes a long way toward making it enjoyable. There's a good death metal band thrown in with every 5 or so lame ones, and it means you have to inspect each one individually.

[Also, before anyone mentions it, ICP has to be the WORST thing to happen to music.... EVER!  Yeah... rap, "metal", and clowns.... THAT WILL WORK!

Rap metal took a sharp turn down shit road after the Anthrax - Public Enemy project because all bands after that brought the putrid, primping cockiness of mainstream rap along with the vocal styling. You're absolutely right in any case.

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2007, 09:28:05 AM »
prog metal stuff like Symphony X and Pagan's Mind.

Too bad most of taht stuff  is 90% Metal and 10% Prog. It's just odd to hear ordinary, regular Metal tunes and harmonies with Prog-like bits inbetween. It makes no sense at all to me. It's like putting flashy rims and spoilers on a Volvo. Dude, it's still a Volvo.
Fear destroys. - Jon Anderson

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Snarl!
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2007, 09:30:13 AM »
It's like putting flashy rims and spoilers on a Volvo. Dude, it's still a Volvo.

Says you as some little eunuch punk in a used Honda goes putting down my street with an exhaust pipe the size of a coffee can. It stirs within me a hellish rage that outstrips even my usual hellish rages.

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2007, 09:32:58 AM »
prog metal stuff like Symphony X and Pagan's Mind.

Too bad most of taht stuff  is 90% Metal and 10% Prog. It's just odd to hear ordinary, regular Metal tunes and harmonies with Prog-like bits inbetween. It makes no sense at all to me. It's like putting flashy rims and spoilers on a Volvo. Dude, it's still a Volvo.

ha! I appreciate your analogy, but I feel disrespected having "regular metal tunes" compared to a Volvo! ;)

In any event I know what you mean, but for me I don't care how much of "what" is in a song, if it's a good song, then it is what it is. For me at least, YMMV. I still enjoy bands that are more prog, like Queensryche and Fates Warning. But I don't like the bands that are ALL tech, such as, supposedly, Dillinger Escape Plan, and some other shit metal band that I saw on the music TV channel. My eardrums closed up in horror.

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2007, 09:35:00 AM »
Wow, I've been out of the metal scene for a long time, apparently.  And I considered myself the original metal head back in the day!  You guys are totally head spinning me.  I gotsta check some of these bands out though, obviously.

In my day, I hated all the "party" metal bands that sprang up after the PMRC hearings.  RATT, Poison, White Lion, all that crap.

RATT's popular "Round and Round" song was a case in point... in the video, the lead transvestite writhes on a dining room table while wheezing the haunting lyrics:

"Round and round... what goes around comes around... I'll tell you WHY... WHY... WHY..."

...and then, of course, he never does actually fulfill this promise and tell us why.
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Snarl!
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2007, 09:37:58 AM »
I was born in '88 so I missed out on the Golden Age of metal... The best modern metal bands are the ones that don't loose sight of the original soul of metal - there is such a thing as too progressive. Metal is more than loud, angry guitar riffs and dark clothing, and that's something that seems to have been forgotten by most of the Ozzfest crowd.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2007, 09:41:56 AM »
I've never really liked "hair metal" bands like van hallen, so the worst song would have to be that 'got it bad for the teacher' song.
As for death metal, also not a fan when it resorts to RAARAAARRRRRRRA type lyrics (lol, everyone has a different name for it, but we all know instantly what the other is talking about ;) )
On to nu/radio metal I'm mostly a fan, the better bands like slipknot, disturbed, godsmack, korn, staind are at their best when the songs have an alternative edge to it
ie; slipknot 3 was good do to the Stone Sour influence, Metalica's St. Anger album is the only one I liked, and Korn hit their stride when they changed their sound on the Untouchables.
You guys seem intent on not callling some of these bands "Metal" so maybe you're right, but I just like good rock so I could care less about the label.