login

Author Topic: Harlan Ellison  (Read 833 times)

Ben

Harlan Ellison
« on: October 12, 2014, 05:55:21 PM »
My all-time favourite author, Harlan Ellison, suffered a stroke a couple of days ago. He's currently in a hospital.

This is doubly devastating for me, as I had the opportunity to chat with the man on the phone some years ago, and he's one unique son-of-a-gun. Bellicose and lovable, in equal measure. I hope he recovers quickly. In my opinion, he's one of the elite few on the planet who should rightfully be immortal.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 307
Re: Harlan Ellison
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 06:21:57 PM »
Oh, jeez. I hope he gets better soon. He was my hero in high school especially. I read all his stuff, named a cat after him, and he was bullied as a kid like me.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5175
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 07:13:07 PM »
That's a shame to hear.  I admit, I haven't read too much of his stuff, but what I have read (Jeffty was Five, "Repent, Harlequin" Cried the Tick-Tock Man) are some very stellar stories.  He also edited Dangerous Visions, which is a pretty incredible anthology.  Hope he makes it through this difficult time.

EDIT: Oh, and he wrote an funny and clever Batman story called "The Night of Thanks but No Thanks" that I highly recommend to both Batman and Ellison fans.

Ben

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 09:34:02 AM »
I've just received an update from Ellison's official website. Apparently he's in full control of his mental faculties, but hasn't got the use of the right side of his body.

As far as strokes go, it hasn't been completely devastating, but that isn't saying much.