Author Topic: Saturday Morning Cartoons Are Officially Dead  (Read 7743 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3684
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: Saturday Morning Cartoons Are Officially Dead
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2014, 06:39:07 PM »
Daphne especially. It wasn't quite censorship, but since Hanna Barbara wasn't going to get away with the game versions:

We got these instead:

Offline MightyBombJack

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 171
  • Your weapons will have no effect on me
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2014, 09:37:57 PM »
A Garfield & Friends segment I still think holds up pretty well (the only copy I could find on Youtube is in Spanish, which may add to the entertainment value for some):

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PLMIWopmxmo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PLMIWopmxmo</a>

I remember the "You, you are not Sylvia, you are one of the Kung Fu Creatures from Outer Space...2!" part always mad me laugh a lot as a kid.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 09:42:04 PM by MightyBombJack »

Offline MightyBombJack

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 171
  • Your weapons will have no effect on me
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 09:48:58 PM »
I think this was the last Saturday morning cartoon show I watched, it was on while I was in High School (available on DVD now from Shout Factory):

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yF6whUcwbGc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yF6whUcwbGc</a>

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 632
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2014, 07:30:30 PM »
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 184
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 09:58:30 PM »
But is the Saturday Morning Cartoon really dead? NBC still airs Kids NBC between 10:30 and 1pm on Saturdays, a block that is full of cartoons and puppet shows. Children can still get their fix on Saturday mornings, as long as they do not mind educational shows featuring shrill annoying characters. And NBC is not the only place you can still find cartoons on Saturday mornings. You can read more about it here:

http://stethacantus.hubpages.com/hub/Memorial-For-The-Saturday-Morning-Cartoon-1959-2014

Cartoons these days suck anyway.

Not true. Not true at all. Cartoons were at their worst in the 1970s. Things started to get better in the 90s. The mid 90s on up saw cartoons that were every bit as good as the pre-60s theatrical cartoons. Most of my all time favorite television cartoons were produced within the past ten years. They would include Robot Chicken, Beavis and Butt-head ( revival ),  Drawn Together, Family Guy, Happy Tree Friends, The Simpsons, Ren and Stimpy Adult Party Cartoon, Futurama and South Park. I honestly can't say anything from the 70s, with exception to Schoolhouse Rocks, would be among my favorites. 

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 06:08:14 PM »
Most of those you listed wouldn't be saturday morning fare though.

None of what I listed would ever air on Saturday Morning, unless the animators agreed to produce family friendly versions for Saturday. They were meant to be examples of my favorite cartoons made today. But even the redubbed Japanese cartoons found on Vortexx that did nothing but promote game cards were far more entertaining than what was on in the 70s.

I agree that the stuff Hanna-Barbera churned out in the '70s was pretty wretched, but I fucking loved the '80s superhero cartoons, the saturday supercade, and even live-action cartoons like Pee Wee's Playhouse (which is getting a blu ray release, if you can believe it).  Plus the '80s had The Real Ghostbusters, which was a great cartoon.

I was no longer watching Cartoons on Saturday morning in the 80s. The only 80s cartoon I have any memory of seeing was Gilligan's Planet, but I can not be sure if I saw them first run, or later on one of the cable channels.  I did start watching some of the syndicated cartoons shown on weekdays. Inspector Gadget, G.I Joe and Danger Mouse, along with classic Tom & Jerry, Tex Avery and Warner Bros. cartoons. I actually did start watching CBS again just to see Pee Wee's Playhouse, but do not remember watching any other cartoons. If the network cartoons got better in the 80s, then that would be a miracle, because they were unwatchable crap when I bailed out in 1979.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2054
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2014, 08:32:27 AM »
Thats a clever spam bot.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5829
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2014, 02:27:34 PM »
Nostalgia aside, I wouldn't be able to defend most 80's Saturday Morning cartoons as a whole (though they often had some cool openings and had the potential to be interesting in a way that one understands the desire to keep resurrecting them).  DuckTales was pretty awesome, and Peewee's Playhouse is also quite amazing though (and check out Paul Reubens in the music video for "Happy Idiot"!)

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2014, 03:59:16 PM »
DuckTales was pretty awesome......

I thought DuckTales was just first run syndication? It had an awesome video game, one of the few that matched Mario Brothers. ( Camcom had the best games back then. ) It was the game that lead me to watch a few episodes of the series it was based on. The only other time that happened was with the Earth Worm Jim video games, which lead me to watching that entire series. In fact, Earthworm Jim is among my all time favorite cartoon series.

........ and Peewee's Playhouse is also quite amazing though (and check out Paul Reubens in the music video for "Happy Idiot"!)

I know I watched a lot of the Playhouse series ( and the Christmas Special ) but can not remember if I saw the entire series or bailed out once the novelty wore off. Not many people realize that Playhouse was based on a raunchy stage show. I recall seeing the HBO special in syndication, and even edited for late night broadcast television it was too raw for daytime broadcast. When I heard they were adapting his show for children, at first I thought the story had to be a hoax, was in shock when ET confirmed it, and then had to watch. Currently Paul Reubens is a supporting cast member on The Blacklist ( first appearance last week), although with that type of show, you can never tell how long a character will survive.

Offline profanegod

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Feminism Derail.
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2014, 12:41:49 AM »
Oh yeah. Daphne and Kimmy were given more conservative wardrobes.
Dammit! Dammit! I mean... erm... GOOD! Because hooray for feminism... or something.
I don't think you can blame feminism like that.  It seems more like a conservative demand for modesty in a children's show.  I think you'll get no argument from feminists on how women ought to dress - however they want to, natch, the same as men. 

I think what you will also find from feminists is nuanced arguments about the effect constant subjection to dimorphic gender norms may have, especially where one gender is portrayed scantily for the express purpose of titillation by men and for men.

So, yeah, nuance.  It's worth considering the next time you decide to denigrate a serious sociological ideology in such a haphazard and erroneous manner.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4415
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: Feminism Derail.
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2014, 04:30:33 AM »
Oh yeah. Daphne and Kimmy were given more conservative wardrobes.
Dammit! Dammit! I mean... erm... GOOD! Because hooray for feminism... or something.
I don't think you can blame feminism like that.  It seems more like a conservative demand for modesty in a children's show.  I think you'll get no argument from feminists on how women ought to dress - however they want to, natch, the same as men. 

I think what you will also find from feminists is nuanced arguments about the effect constant subjection to dimorphic gender norms may have, especially where one gender is portrayed scantily for the express purpose of titillation by men and for men.

So, yeah, nuance.  It's worth considering the next time you decide to denigrate a serious sociological ideology in such a haphazard and erroneous manner.

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 632
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2014, 11:38:17 AM »
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 124
  • Hello!
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2014, 08:54:42 PM »
On Saturday mornings, as I have my coffee and soy-shake breakfast. I make it a point to watch cartoons. I dial up Batman: The Animated Series, or even some Adult Swim shows... Just because... Saturday...
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 124
  • Hello!
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2014, 01:12:50 AM »
Yes, and in the early 90's they hada pretty good MIB cartoon that was much closer to the graphic novels than the movie... and of course, The Tick, so that was good.

Plus MST3K on the sci-fi channel Saturday nights... (They played them in the morning too, but I would always wait till the midnight repeat... )
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline AMKR

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 7
  • Source Aura
    • Aeons Old - SoundCloud
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2014, 08:36:05 PM »
Its more like, Sat. Morning Cartoons are now the Late Night Cartoons & Anime Blocks. Which is fine with me - Im a 90s dude, Dragon Ball Z is my shit lmao. Watched it since it firsted aired in america (and before that - because we somehow in salem, ma - had an all japanese language station with no english subtitles (or maybe I was just to young to realize that TVs had Closed Captions LOL) that was seasons ahead - had no idea what was going on but it was cool and got me excited for the future episodes in English)

Infact now that I think of it - most of my favorite saturday morning cartoons (not the ones - I wanted to end so I could get to my favorites) turned out to be anime. I was so young at the time that anime to me just another cooler style of story telling and animation from america. It wasnt until I stumbled upon that all Japanese Station that was way ahead of the dubbing in america that I realized - that they we're from another country (then I saw Akira and Ghost in the Shell on VHS not to long after and the rest is history lol)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 08:39:15 PM by AMKR »
Source Auras - AMKR & Josh Grooves.

Soundcloud.com/aeonsold (now broken up, working on new project Source Auras currently - all old material)