login

Author Topic: Blaxploitation  (Read 3794 times)

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 126
  • Psychedelic Cat Furniture
    • Choronzon
Blaxploitation
« on: September 22, 2014, 10:58:08 AM »
Watching "The Guy From Harlem" reminded me that virtually nothing cinematic and cheesy that came from the late 1960s or early 1970s fails to have a certain me-specific appeal...so I went and found a bunch of blaxploitation movies and watched them. I was wondering if there are any others I ought to seek out.  The cheesier and more psychedelic looking the decors, the better! Gods, I miss that age before crack cocaine came around and the gangsters actually looked flashy instead of like jocks.  I miss Afros. 

I watched, in addition to of course The Guy From Harlem, and Cinematic Titanic's East Meets Watts:

- Superfly - Naturally...That was where I started, since that was where the whole schmeer started...

- Dolemite - Pretty good. (And now I get the joke in TGFH when JoAnn, the 'Small Titted Jessica Simpson Girl' is riffed saying "I knew I shouldn't have broken up with Dolemite"...that gag had confused me since I had been thinking "How does one break up with a mineral?")

- Velvet Smooth - Awesome. (In a MerryWanna specific sense.)

- TNT Jackson - Same as above, with the added appeal of total absurdity. TNT is this ultra-petite sister doling out king-sized cans of whoop-ass to these great big huge mofos, sometimes two and three at a time. I was laughing all the way through it.

- Black Cobra - Kind of creepy. Didn't like much.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated, dig?  :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 11:07:26 AM by MerryWanna »
"Ever feel like you're dragging a big bag of meat around?" -  Kevin, The Curse of Bigfoot

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 745
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
Re: Blaxploitation
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 11:17:24 AM »
There of course is the Pam Grier output: Coffy, Foxy Brown, Friday Foster are great ones.  One of my favorites is WILLIE DYNAMITE because it has Oscar from Sesame Street in it as a pimp with the best wardrobe ever!!

Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 12:21:09 PM »
I need to catch up on my blaxploitation flicks. My husband and I just watched The Big Bird Cage -- not blaxploitation but a women in prison movie, filmed in the Philippines and starring Pam Grier and Sid Haig. I thought it was marvelous, but I will admit that maybe I feel that way because of the setting and the Filipino extras.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3071
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 12:28:32 PM »
I haven't seen much actual Blaxploitation, but I feel the need to mention the awesome Blaxploitation spoof, "Black Dynamite." It plays it very straight and it works very well. I'd probably enjoy it even more if I had the proper blaxploitation vocabulary. The Adult Swim cartoon based on it is fun, too.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4959
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 12:35:16 PM »
Black Dynamite is pretty amazing.  The cartoon isn't bad, but being animation, it can't properly copy the flow of the movie that incorporate things like an inplied backstory in the making of a movie (the best being a character being replaced with a different actor half way through the film)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/j5UNbZx4OBU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/j5UNbZx4OBU</a>

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 01:01:29 PM »
I wanted to like Black Dynamite... but it just dragged for me. I like the tv show though. Small doses I guess.

Any of the classic Fred "The Hammer" Williamson flicks are fun too:  Hammer, Legend of N***er Charley, Hell Up In Harlem.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/mHOOQf4g5-8" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/mHOOQf4g5-8</a>
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 122
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 01:27:29 PM »
If we're including more recent stuff, the Snoop Dogg pimp semi-musical "Boss'n Up" is pretty freakin' classic. I love Black Dynamite, "...I AM smiling."

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
    • Choronzon
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 05:30:00 PM »
This should give me a good bunch to seek out. And a friend of mine reminded me there was also Shaft - which I hadn't included because I thought it was just an ordinary cop story, but a lot of film websites cite it (either by themselves or anecdotally by their commenters) as an inspiration for the genre. Joel Hodgson also made jokes about it in the KTMA MST3K ep 'The Legend of Dinosaurs' which makes me think they're probably right.
"Ever feel like you're dragging a big bag of meat around?" -  Kevin, The Curse of Bigfoot

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 08:07:01 PM »
Shaft is considered a "classic" but I always found it to be boring. Great soundtrack but a boring flick.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 526
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 04:47:46 AM »
Blackula, Blackenstein and the Blunchblack of Blotreblame. 
Hollywood Shuffle and I'm Gonna Get You Sucka are great.  They are both comedies.
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4959
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 02:19:22 PM »

Of course, none compare to Blacula Meets Black Dracula.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/N4c6m-XJIls" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/N4c6m-XJIls</a>

Still amazing, even in Spanish.

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
    • Choronzon
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 10:30:40 AM »
Shaft is considered a "classic" but I always found it to be boring. Great soundtrack but a boring flick.

You were right, Torso. Didn't even watch it all the way through.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 08:18:45 AM »

You forgot the Black Mummy.  You bring shame upon your house, Miku.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Miku Fan

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 526
  • Just letting fly with a flat "douchebag"
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 08:28:43 AM »

You forgot the Black Mummy.  You bring shame upon your house, Miku.

Never heard of it.  Is it worth watching?
ミクさんは世界で一番お姫さま!

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 08:33:10 AM »
I dont know, its another Simpsons reference though.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.