Author Topic: Tusk (2014)  (Read 875 times)

Ben

Tusk (2014)
« on: September 17, 2014, 11:30:59 AM »
This looks promising; a "body horror" flick in the vein of HUMAN CENTIPEDE about some poor dope who gets forcibly transformed into a human/walrus hybrid. But more importantly, listen to some of the protagonist's snarky anti-Canada dialogue in the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trTTjvPCLJQ

It's like a Canadian saw the MST3K version of THE FINAL SACRIFICE and wrote the script for this movie while in the grip of a vengeful rage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgKwPrm7DYQ

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: Tusk (2014)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 11:53:01 AM »
Of course the real story behind the script is very easy to learn, you just have to listen to Smodcast.

Really looking forward to seeing this.  It's showing at Alamo Drafthouse tomorrow and I'm hoping we can get to see it.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

BiteMe316

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 01:39:45 PM »
I actually thought of this when I saw the thread title.   :-[  Oops!   ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com//v/MLDQOVrtgJ4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com//v/MLDQOVrtgJ4</a>

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 120
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 04:13:49 PM »
It's a tough movie to review, memorable for sure, had fun going to see it, we were the only group in the theater ha. Not a full-on hit with me, I think it kind of doesn't work, I would've embraced the comedy more, the movie is very very funny 70% of the time. Then takes itself seriously 30% of the time, which is also kind of funny in a way, but awkward. Also very very gross. At actually saying something, if it's trying to, that aspect is a complete dud for me.

Not a spoiler but here's something from the end credits read if you're cool with end credits info: they actually play a bit from that podcast episode that inspired them making the movie, with Kev Smith laughing his ass off etc. Which kind of reinforces that the movie is intentionally just a big joke, and kind of a prank on the audience. I give it a thumb up-ish and one thumb sideways... you could see it, or also not.

It's memorable, but also a big mess. It might actually benefit from a rifftrax! I love independent artists doing their own thing, but oddly enough I do think somebody saying "Hey Kev, this bit doesn't really work" or "this dramatic beat falls flat completely" etc might've helped him. I get the feeling he doesn't really have anybody criticizing his work at this point. Which is how he likes it, he says you should surround yourself with "why not" people etc. But it's also a very flawed and messy movie in my opinion, ha so... anyways, it's funny that it exists. And Kev's podcasts are my favorite entertainment of his anyway, but I'll keep seeing his flicks.

I do look forward to MooseJaws and Kev's Krampus movie! And of course Clerks 3, I think Kev can do no wrong when it comes to comedy.

Also a shorter review of the movie: it's a Tales From The Crypt episode, but longer.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 06:10:20 PM by PsychoGoatee »

Offline MightyBombJack

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 171
  • Your weapons will have no effect on me
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 08:24:19 PM »
I'm generally a little bit allergic to anything Kevin Smith, but I'm mildly curious about this one. The one review I've read so far isn't especially enthusiastic (although the mention of Roger Corman's 60s Poe films does pique my intersest):

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/tusk-2014

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 10:46:51 AM »
Watched it last night and loved it. Erica was fairly indifferent on it, though. I'm wondering how much of that was based on the fact that I follow the podcasts that gave birth to the movie closely, and she only hears the high points from me second hand.

Getting nitpicky, while I was into the humor the whole time, I would have liked a little more violence and gore. It seemed just a little too restrained when it came to the gruesome scenes, especially toward the climax.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 10:47:50 AM »
Finally caught it, and wasn't too impressed. When it actually gets into the walrus-centric stuff it's rather inspired, and dammit if it doesn't strike the right balance between horrific and insane that I could never look away (especially when it really starts getting into the final goal for Parks' plans). So that stuff is all great. The issue is, the bulk of the film is otherwise quite tedious. Essentially none of the humor worked, to the point where I wasn't sure if the movie was actually trying to be funny (I've been a big fan of Smith's comedies in the past, but pretty much every joke here was either cringeworthy in the bad way or just struck of trying much too hard for no payoff. I also have to assume his podcast is better than the one depicted in the film, because it was pretty embarrassing). It was a weird sort of tone overall, and the movie simply doesn't work. Had this been just a little fake trailer thing it probably would've been outright inspired (it would've fit right in with Grindhouse), but as a feature film it just comes across as something of a chore to sit through.

Except, again, for all the stuff directly related to the walrus. Because damn if that doesn't go to strange places.