Author Topic: What smartphone do you use?  (Read 4746 times)

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 847
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
What smartphone do you use?
« on: September 07, 2014, 06:00:38 PM »
I am tired of my iPhone and Apple shenanigans in general.  I want a new phone and I am looking elsewhere.  I use my phone for web browsing, e-mail, texting, occasional phone calls. I am leaning towards the Samsung Galaxy s5 at the moment. I like that I can change the battery and also throw in a fat SD card to boost the storage capacity.   What do you use? why do you like it?
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4989
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: What smartphone do you use?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 07:07:31 PM »
My Galaxy S4 was a big upgrade from my old Blackberry Bold 9900, and yeah I've got an extra battery for mine and a 32g sandisk card 8)
I would like to upgrade to the S5 but I'll wait till I can get it for free through AT&T like I did with my S4 ;D

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6576
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 07:08:58 PM »
I have a Samsung Galaxy III, and I really like it. I am thinking of getting a Galaxy S5 in the next month or so.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 07:16:10 PM »
I have the Galaxy III too, and I find it works really well for what I use it for.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3084
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 07:24:47 PM »
I quit buying Apple stuff 3 or 4 years ago because of "shenanigans".  ;D

I've had a Samsung Galaxy Express for about 2 years now, it's only available on AT&T.
It's basically a slightly less powerful version of the S (therefore cheaper), but I barely use any apps so it's been perfect for me.

I just replaced the battery (generic brand 2 batteries and a charger for $20), last few months I was starting to have to charge it every 2-3 days, now it's back to once or twice a week like when it was new.

Put a 32GB card in mine, after 2 years it's only 1/3 full...  So I guess I didn't need one that big....

Other nice thing about android in general is being able to sync it with your gmail account.  I know some people at work with iPhones that always seem to have trouble syncing their contacts and calendars between their computer and phone.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 847
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 09:49:45 AM »
Galaxies rule the roost I see. Just from playing with the S4 and S5 at the store, it seems pretty snappy. It is a little bigger than what I am used to in my pocket. I like that the samsungs will play a variety of file formats. And with the addition of a fat sd card I can take some movies or shows around with me that are the same as I use at home. If I ever want to play anything on my iPhone I usually have to make a special iPhone version .
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 12:30:11 PM by MrTorso »
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 10:03:24 AM »
I have an LG G3 and I am in love with it. My co-worker who is an android nerd (and gets every Galaxy that comes out) saw my G3 and said that that's his next phone.

I told him that the next Galaxy will probably match and/or surpass it, and then so on with the next LG phone, in some cycle of friendly competition.... but yeah, the G3 is amazing.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 357
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 11:21:16 AM »
Yeah if I was to upgrade, a Galaxy would be very high on my short list.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6576
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 01:04:58 PM »
I need to check again how much Sprint gives me back for my Galaxy 3 when I upgrade to a Galaxy 5.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1519
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 01:52:14 PM »
I'm still rocking an old AT&T iPhone 4 with a broken home button.  I really need to do something about that...

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1782
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 03:18:56 PM »
I'm still rocking an old AT&T iPhone 4 with a broken home button.  I really need to do something about that...

The 6 was just announced.  Will be released on the 14th I think.  Once I'm due for an upgrade I'll probably grab one, as my 5 has slight water damage that's annoying.

I'd switch brands, but I don't like the idea of buying all new apps, so I'll stick with my iphone for now.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1519
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 04:57:01 PM »

The 6 was just announced.  Will be released on the 14th I think.  Once I'm due for an upgrade I'll probably grab one, as my 5 has slight water damage that's annoying.

I'd switch brands, but I don't like the idea of buying all new apps, so I'll stick with my iphone for now.

Yeah it looks pretty slick. Not sure I want a huge honkin' phone in my pocket though. I want to actually get my hands on one and see how it feels. I use my iPhone for a ton of stuff at work.  I'm basically weighing options right now as far as which phone (5s, 6, 6+) and which carrier can get me the best deal for my wife & I.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1782
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 05:27:19 PM »

Yeah it looks pretty slick. Not sure I want a huge honkin' phone in my pocket though. I want to actually get my hands on one and see how it feels. I use my iPhone for a ton of stuff at work.  I'm basically weighing options right now as far as which phone (5s, 6, 6+) and which carrier can get me the best deal for my wife & I.

Yeah 6+ seems too big, and I'd break it easier. Probably just a normal 6 for me.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 08:35:38 PM »
I am still using a Nokia 2610 (using prepaid minutes with T-Mobile) from 2008. That should give you an idea of how much I'm into the whole smartphone thing.

I don't really care about data plans. I rarely leave the house! I don't need anything portable that can't be done on my PC. I just want a less embarrassing phone. Maybe something that can run some decent apps. Play mp3s.

Can I get some suggestions? Maybe something in the $100-$300 range?

Offline Lunquewill

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 11:09:43 PM »
I still use my Sanyo VI-2300 flip phone. I've been through 3 batteries and a cracked case. It's time to replace it.