Author Topic: Kindle Unlimited  (Read 805 times)

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 37
    • Trevor H. Cooley
Kindle Unlimited
« on: September 05, 2014, 09:25:51 AM »
Hey guys. Amazon started this new program that's supposed to be like Netflix for books. I was wondering if any of you have tried it yet and what you think.

I just put my own books into the program and the catch is that they have to be exclusive to Amazon to qualify. I'm still not sure if it is worth it.
Check out my epic fantasy series, The Bowl of Souls in Kindle and Paperback editions!
http://www.amazon.com/Trevor-H.-Cooley/e/B0083U46CM/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Kindle Unlimited
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 09:38:23 AM »
I thought that was part of prime but I guess it's a separate subscription, I don't read enough books in a month to justify an extra $10.

I'm so far behind in my book list, haven't even gotten to your Tarah Woodblade one yet.

I am curious how that works for the authors, do they pay you something each time someone reads one of your books or is it a monthly flat rate?

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 37
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 09:56:58 PM »
I am curious how that works for the authors, do they pay you something each time someone reads one of your books or is it a monthly flat rate?

Amazon allocates a monthly budget for the program, say 2 million. That amount is split evenly between all the book rentals. If there are two million rentals, the authors would make 1.00 for each time their book was rented. A rental is calculated as any time someone using Kindle Unlimited reads at least 10% of the book.

The amount an author makes can fluctuate. Last month it was 1.80 but some authors are worried that it could sink down to less than a dollar. Most books that are in Kindle Unlimited retail from 2.99 to 4.99 so at 70% royalty we make much more for a purchase. The question becomes is the program bringing in readers that would normally pass on the books or are we, in effect, cannibalizing our own sales numbers?

It's hard to say so far.
Check out my epic fantasy series, The Bowl of Souls in Kindle and Paperback editions!
http://www.amazon.com/Trevor-H.-Cooley/e/B0083U46CM/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 06:01:50 AM »
Definitely something to think about, Trevor.  You might think about doing a few novellas as appetizers to get people to buy your actual books or something?

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.