Author Topic: The Strain  (Read 1357 times)

Offline MightyBombJack

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 170
  • Your weapons will have no effect on me
The Strain
« on: September 01, 2014, 11:24:32 PM »
Does anyone else here watch this show? I'm liking it thus far. As far as stuff by Guillermo Del Toro goes, it's much more Blade II than Pan's Labyrinth or The Devil's Backbone (go watch both of those if you haven't), but's that's ok, I think, it think it strikes a good balance between blending some of GDT's weirdness with a somewhat more mainstream sensibility that was probably necessary for it to be on tv at all (I wouldn't be surprised if that was kind of the plan all along when GDT co-wrote the novels with Chuck Hogan, the concept was originally pitched as a tv series that none of the networks went for; I would say that thus far, I prefer this story in the form of a tv series rather than in functional but somewhat purplish prose).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 12:27:12 AM by MightyBombJack »

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2297
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: The Strain
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 04:58:53 AM »
Erica and I have both been enjoying it so far.  We were a little reluctant to get into yet another vampire series, but the fact that they aren't romanticizing the monsters at all make it okay for us.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 103
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 11:37:31 AM »

Corey Stoll's hair-piece was the MVP of the season!

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
Season 2 episode 1
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 08:38:02 PM »
"BK, NY"  Solid start to the second season. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  Preview for the rest of the season looks pretty good.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
Episode 2
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 09:07:22 PM »
"By Any Means"
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
Episode 3
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 08:12:30 PM »
"Fort Defiance"

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
Episode 4
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 08:17:31 PM »
"The Silver Angel"

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
Episode 5
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 08:16:42 PM »
"Quick and Painless" 

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
Episode 7
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 09:11:49 PM »
"The Born"

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
Episode 8
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 08:08:37 PM »
"Intruders"

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
Episode 9
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 11:10:19 PM »
"The Battle for Red Hook"

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 08:09:33 PM »
Episode 10 "The Assassin"

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
Episode 11
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2015, 08:18:16 PM »
"Dead End"

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 08:01:31 AM »
I think season 4 has been some of the strongest stuff the show has done. It seems to be getting better as it's winding down after a rough start and a couple of mediocre seasons. Still worth checking out if you are a horror fan though. Season 4 episode 7 "Ouroboros" was one of the best of the entire series.