login

Author Topic: Lost Thoughts  (Read 26735 times)

Offline Just Some Guy

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
Re: Lost Thoughts
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2007, 12:39:57 PM »
I gave up on Lost after the awful episodes opening this season.  I don't demand all the answers, but I do need to feel like the plot is advancing and that characters need to be active rather than reactive.  For example, in the first few episodes of this season (spoiler protected since there are people interested in watching the show in the thread):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The first season was extremely good and the second season was pretty good but it dragged a bit toward the end when it was obvious they were padding things out.  The third season, though, completely ignored the interesting dangling plot hooks from the ending of the second season for the sake of just episode after episode of nothing.  I'll probably watch it on DVD later assuming that there is an ending (I don't take the words of the producers as gospel, especially when their show is bleeding viewers fast), but Lost is lost.

Offline SecretAgentSuperDragon

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 3
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2007, 12:53:22 PM »
I thought the riff was pretty funny. I rather enjoyed it. Plus they had a joke about the rain on the island just being another Spring day in Tacoma. I was like, "Sweet. Gotta love the local references." It actually was raining it's but off too when I was watching it. :D

Offline Droobie

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
  • Telling lame jokes since '81
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2007, 01:37:57 PM »
Loved the riffs.  I've been watching Lost since the beginning, and while this season has me hot and cold (the first 6 episodes were meh, but since the return from the looooooong hiatus, there've only been two episodes that have disappointed me).  Besides, bad episodes of Lost are still better than other shows.

The first half of the first part of the pilot episode started off slow, but slowly kicked into gear.  One of my favorite riffs ever was when Claire asked Shannon if Boone was her boyfriend, and then Kevin goes, "To which I have a follow up question: Why is he such a tool?"   ;D

I also loved the riffs using other TV show titles.  "No, no, Heroes is on NBC!"  "Survivor is a different show... on CBS!"

I also loved all the potshots at the structure of the show, like when Kate was staring off into space: "Oh, she's remembering her days of girl scout training that said staring was a good way to ward off polar bears." (or something to that effect).

I'd like to see them riff a regular episode of the show, complete with a flashback just to see how they'd handle it.
-Drew

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2007, 01:52:51 PM »
I thought the first episode was a lot better than the second.  The jokes were funny but I rank this riff as a whole below the majority of the other trax.  I just didn't like the constant pauses where the commercial breaks were and although they did riff on the fact that they were there it got really repetitive.  The fact that this is a show instead of a movie also made the plot drag quite a bit more than even the worst movies did.  I think, as  a whole that they should stick to doing movies but if they do riff anymore tv shows I'll probably purchase the trax if they happen to be shows I already own.  

Offline Conor

• Yardstick
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 89
    • conorlastowka.com
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2007, 05:29:31 PM »

Don't forget to leave your reviews too!!

Yes, if you want to debate whether or not Lost is a quality TV show, please feel free to start a thread for that purpose instead of jacking a thread regarding the Riffing.

:-*

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2007, 07:45:45 PM »
I also like the fact they brought in Brian K Vaughn.  That dude can write. 

BKV's working on Lost? Hmm... Dude can write.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2007, 05:52:44 AM »
I wasn't going to bother with this one. I never watched the show and just figured it would be one I could skip... maybe going back and grabbing it if my wife ever decided to buy the DVD set. Turned out, my buddy bought the rifftrax as he is a big Lost fan and already owned season one.

My friend is a casual MST3K fan who still hasn't seen much of the series. I insisted that he had to view a virgin MST3K before I would watch Lost. That was probably my mistake. I decided on the MST3k classic "Werewolf" as the new-for-him episode to be viewed.. Unless Mike and Kevin were in near perfect form and working with a near "perfect for riffing" subject.... Lost was going to pale in comparison to something as stellar as Werewolf.

As many others have said, things started out well enough... but I just didn't think they had alot to work with as the second episode dragged on and it showed. I'm sure that this one would play alot better with somebody who is a fan of the show, but I didn't get enough out of it to warrant additional Lost viewings if they decide to go that route. My buddy appreciated it a little more than me, but he admitted that the "absolutely fascinating" viewing of Warwilf probably made this one come across a little flatter than it actually was.

Offline MarkAndrew

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2007, 06:23:15 AM »
Ok, so why all the fart jokes?  Inside joke at Legend?   Inside joke from the LOST set?

Offline MarkAndrew

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2007, 06:32:16 AM »
So what's the verdict for those of me who've never seen the show? Still funny? Should I watch it unriffed first? Does this look infected to you?

If you have a lot of time on your hands, watch season 1 unriffed then watch the rifftrax.  I can't in good conscience recommend watching season 2 or 3.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2007, 06:39:44 AM »
Ok, so why all the fart jokes?  Inside joke at Legend?   Inside joke from the LOST set?

lack of ideas?
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline SecretAgentSuperDragon

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2007, 06:48:26 AM »
Does anyone have a counter of those fart jokes? I believe there were around 10 or so. 1 or 2 are all right, giving the appropriate context, but the 8 other times it kinda just makes you cringe.  :-",

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2007, 06:49:38 AM »
at least they weren't more fat jokes?

Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2007, 07:34:29 AM »
I don't think the raw number of fart / fat jokes is an issue... you could get away with a ton of them if they are presented with some flair.

I think a similar line of "low brow" humor worked perfectly fine in Mitchell. However, in that instance the material was usually an original slant on an old joke. A lot of stuff boiled down to "fart" and/or "fat" jokes, but the humor was in the presentation. Mitchell taking a Ding-Dong in his scotch or thinking the sidewalk looked like ice cream if you squint are great ways of basically saying "He's fat".  I don't think they did as good a job of putting the new paint job on the same old barn this time out.

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2007, 08:59:15 AM »

DVD cover coming soon...

Lazy!

Since I was stuck at home Saturday and Sunday trying to find roofers that work on the weekend, I was able to crank out my Lost cover and finish 90% of the Star Wars Part 2 cover.

In case anyone living in the Houston area needs a roofer, I HIGHLY recomment AAA Roofing.   They came today (Sunday) and did a wonderful job replacing the back half of my roof.   Since it is supposed to rain Monday-Wednesday, I feel sorry for anyone who could not fix their roof today.   I gave all my neighbors their business card and I hope they can get something done today or else they will have a LOT or dry wall work needed.

In case you want to see what a squall line can do to a house when 70 MPH winds hit, check it out.

http://pslowner.smugmug.com/gallery/2651674#140186659

Now posted:
http://www.rifftrax.com/smf/index.php?topic=2926.msg76199#new

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2639
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2007, 04:00:56 AM »
It made me laugh, but for me this was exactly what I feared, unsatisfying.

Normally when I watch a Rifftrax, I get a whole movie along with my laughs, even if it IS a terrible movie. This time I got very little. The problem with a series like this is that, even if it is fast moving and dramatic in points, it has to be slow moving and drawn out in others. That makes for a great, entertaining tv series, (especially as a DVD box set) but, with only the first two episodes being riffed, I felt like I was left hanging.

I strongly vote no on further tv series for Rifftrax.
FINE